Re: Promotion / top of the league / realistic

Cornish Exile wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:Totally different era of course in the 30's with no television. Were we not getting crowds of 10, 000 in those times which presumably would have been enough to finance the club?
Agreed, however it only cost 5p to get in and 10,000 attendance was often quoted as a break - even figure.
It wasn't only 5p ...it was a shilling.
In 1938 a shilling would pay for an evening's supper for a family of 10 from one of those new 'chip shops'...so around about £25-£30 in today's money, and not dissimilar to the price of a current match ticket broadly speaking.
Football isn't really any much less affordable than its ever been.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
rncfc wrote:I really don't get the whole "we can't afford to get promoted" rubbish.

As a fan owned club, if it were by some miracle to happen, it's very simple.

"Listen guys, we're playing above our station. We won't risk the clubs future so the budget is the budget. We should finish bottom but with your help we might just be able to pull off a miracle. Come and help us achieve the impossible".

Job done.
If as you put it 'by some miracle it happens' then of course the 'we can't afford to get promoted' hypothesis will be irrelevent, and we will have to do our best wihin the budget we have. I'm sure i read somewhere recently that Accrington haven't increased their budget beyond £1 point something million. They seem to be doing OK.
Yes, £1.1m I think I saw.

It's worth bearing in mind that promotion brings more money in from the league "handouts".

In 2017 payments to FL1 and FL2 clubs were split into two components: a basic award and a Premier League "solidarity" payment.

L1 was £677,000 (basic) + 645,000 (solidarity) = 1,320,000
L2 was £472,000 + 430,000 = 902,000

So promotion then was worth an extra £400k or so.

I think it's broadly similar for 2018. So how that increased income squares with Stanley's playing budget staying the same I can't fathom. Perhaps it'll pay back some of his loans.

newgroundrodney wrote:
Cornish Exile wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:Totally different era of course in the 30's with no television. Were we not getting crowds of 10, 000 in those times which presumably would have been enough to finance the club?
Agreed, however it only cost 5p to get in and 10,000 attendance was often quoted as a break - even figure.
It wasn't only 5p ...it was a shilling.
In 1938 a shilling would pay for an evening's supper for a family of 10 from one of those new 'chip shops'...so around about £25-£30 in today's money, and not dissimilar to the price of a current match ticket broadly speaking.
Football isn't really any much less affordable than its ever been.
Thank you, I'm fully aware that 5p equals one shilling, however, there may be some younger fans who aren't.

Try not to be so patronising.

Firstly I would be happy with four points from the next two home games. I feel a little nervous about home matches at present.This ' promotion v Consolidation' debate is exactly what Jason Perry and Nathan Blake were discussing on ' Call Rob' after the Oldham match. Promotion is a long way off and January will be a 'telling month'. However, promotion should not be shunned. We do need benefactors and our own ground but to achieve promotion which is what MF wants shoulld be our main goal. That should attract larger crowds and greater interest in 'apathetic Newport '. But we must be shrewd and not do a Waddle or Johnson' (1983).

Cornish Exile wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:
Cornish Exile wrote:
Thank you, I'm fully aware that 5p equals one shilling, however, there may be some younger fans who aren't.

Try not to be so patronising.
In 1938 a shilling would buy two and a half litres of fuel. Today you're paying £4.

5p is notionally a shilling but not really. By the way back then a nice new Semi in Bassaleg would set you back less than £600.