Re: Today's attendance

lowandhard wrote:
Marky wrote:Why shouldn't we be? All the current League 2 teams were in a higher league than us a decade ago. Fans don't grow on trees.
That’s exactly right, we were out of the league for at least a generation so it’s a hard job to make up for that absence especially in a society that identifies so called “ winners “ and “ losers “ based on their profiles which are self-perpetuating because the MSM keep talking about them and them only. We are “ little Newport County “ when we play a “ big “ club, it’s just the way it is. Look at the sad old men around town in ManUre gear , for them football is watching Sky tv not attending live football games.

We have an uphill battle to recruit more people to the fan base and when you get a decent turnout you must ensure they go home happy. What you do not do, I’m sorry to say, is get totally f*cked solid by non-entities like Yeovil when for once you have managed to prise open the super-glued palms of the reluctant Newport public , and the thing is we always manage to do something like that, always. Unless we persuade the “ floaters “ that we are the club they want to support we’re always only going to get a decent crowd for the odd occasions like the Spurs game and the “ great escape “ game. What those occasions show is what the potential is but we must tempt them in to being regulars to grow this club and not turn them away with performances like against Yeovil, I wonder how much that performance will cost us in total with those who vowed not to come back?
Our problem is the lack of promotional activity. Having registered with other League 2 Clubs to obtain away tickets, I am now bombarded with proactive emails from them promoting games or merchandise. Compared to them County is worse than amateur, and until we up our game will remain one of life’s best kept secrets.

Whilst writing, can someone explain why County in the Community was spending money by sponsoring the Cambridge game? Surely that is not what their limited funding is for, but perhaps reflects the paucity of our current commercial income streams. Not replacing the Commercial Manager is difficult to fathom and increasingly seems a crass decision.

Judging by the travel thread on Macclesfield forum there won't be many away supporters on Tuesday:-
Due to the lack of interest, the coach to Newport on Tuesday has been cancelled.
Due to lack of football the season has been cancelled
and:-
How long before we start cancelling home games due to lack of interest?

There are many factors for fans not attending. I have had several Newport County season tickets over the years. Went to most games. However, times are changing. I am now unemployed as are several of my family and friends. Redundancy and lack of spare cash mean we cannot get to matches. The cost of a ticket and transport is about £30. That is the supermarket food shop for the week. If I know of 7 people (and myself) who are hard up & cannot afford County then there must be many more. Newport is not an affluent area, and football is not a cheap option. I used to buy a season ticket, pay into the County lottery, buy a matchday programme, half time draw, club merchandise etc. There are Newport County fans like me who just cannot do this any more. Sad but true.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote:
Whilst writing, can someone explain why County in the Community was spending money by sponsoring the Cambridge game? Surely that is not what their limited funding is for, but perhaps reflects the paucity of our current commercial income streams. Not replacing the Commercial Manager is difficult to fathom and increasingly seems a crass decision.
They 'may' not have paid any money to sponsor it - just awareness.

Totally agree with your comment about the Commercial Manager. Perhaps the players should be sent on a walk-around about our city and beyond to drum up trade? Those injured or suspended could start first.

RiscaRascal wrote:There are many factors for fans not attending. I have had several Newport County season tickets over the years. Went to most games. However, times are changing. I am now unemployed as are several of my family and friends. Redundancy and lack of spare cash mean we cannot get to matches. The cost of a ticket and transport is about £30. That is the supermarket food shop for the week. If I know of 7 people (and myself) who are hard up & cannot afford County then there must be many more. Newport is not an affluent area, and football is not a cheap option. I used to buy a season ticket, pay into the County lottery, buy a matchday programme, half time draw, club merchandise etc. There are Newport County fans like me who just cannot do this any more. Sad but true.
Agree mate and very understandable, we all know where priorities lie when cash is tight. People forget how relatively poor this area is, I’ve chatted to many fans from the Home Counties area who are pleasantly surprised by how cheap a pint of beer is in Newport, it would be more accurate to say pleasantly shocked. This area is struggling on many levels, you only have to look around you. It’s a pity there isn’t a scheme to give out so many cheap or free tickets to those having to be on benefits for example. I’m sure those people would remember us favourably when they hopefully get back into employment. Just a thought because many of us don’t think of those who’d like to attend but simply can’t.

RiscaRascal wrote:There are many factors for fans not attending. I have had several Newport County season tickets over the years. Went to most games. However, times are changing. I am now unemployed as are several of my family and friends. Redundancy and lack of spare cash mean we cannot get to matches. The cost of a ticket and transport is about £30. That is the supermarket food shop for the week. If I know of 7 people (and myself) who are hard up & cannot afford County then there must be many more. Newport is not an affluent area, and football is not a cheap option. I used to buy a season ticket, pay into the County lottery, buy a matchday programme, half time draw, club merchandise etc. There are Newport County fans like me who just cannot do this any more. Sad but true.
We need to find a way of making football affordable for all supporters. Seriously how about a £120 season ticket, available in twelve monthly installments of £10 for the north terrace? It would help fans on a limited budget. If we ignore these supporters then we cease to be a community resource and become just another business.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
Amberexile wrote:We choose not to open the North terrace because of the prohibitive additional staging costs we are charged by the WRU if we do.
Therfore a cheap season ticket for this terrace wouldn't be cost effective then?
Got a feeling they wanted to charge more because of increased stewarding required.