Re: Today's attendance

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:Disappointing attendance compared to Yeovil obviously, partly due to a reduced away support ? Hopefully given our league position we will have a bigger than usual crowd for a midweek game this Tues.
For the Macclesfield game I expect a 24% increase followed by a 10% reduction due to it being a night game + about 68 from Macclesfield....so 3408.
Any less will be poor IMO

newgroundrodney wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:Disappointing attendance compared to Yeovil obviously, partly due to a reduced away support ? Hopefully given our league position we will have a bigger than usual crowd for a midweek game this Tues.
For the Macclesfield game I expect a 24% increase followed by a 10% reduction due to it being a night game + about 68 from Macclesfield....so 3408.
Any less will be poor IMO
After yesterday's poor attendance, and CL on the box, I'd be very surprised if we have more than 2500 home fans.

Corpaboy wrote:3,100 ????

Really ? Anyone else think there was a lot more than that ???
Interesting the different perspectives from different parts of the ground - from the Bisley I thought we lucky to get over 3,000.
Despite been near top of league we are still one of the poorest supported sides in the league.

County ranger wrote:
Corpaboy wrote:3,100 ????

Really ? Anyone else think there was a lot more than that ???
Interesting the different perspectives from different parts of the ground - from the Bisley I thought we lucky to get over 3,000.
Despite been near top of league we are still one of the poorest supported sides in the league.
The reality is we probably always will be, unless it's a decisive game, such as promation, play off or relegation avoidance.

Marky wrote:Why shouldn't we be? All the current League 2 teams were in a higher league than us a decade ago. Fans don't grow on trees.
That’s exactly right, we were out of the league for at least a generation so it’s a hard job to make up for that absence especially in a society that identifies so called “ winners “ and “ losers “ based on their profiles which are self-perpetuating because the MSM keep talking about them and them only. We are “ little Newport County “ when we play a “ big “ club, it’s just the way it is. Look at the sad old men around town in ManUre gear , for them football is watching Sky tv not attending live football games.

We have an uphill battle to recruit more people to the fan base and when you get a decent turnout you must ensure they go home happy. What you do not do, I’m sorry to say, is get totally f*cked solid by non-entities like Yeovil when for once you have managed to prise open the super-glued palms of the reluctant Newport public , and the thing is we always manage to do something like that, always. Unless we persuade the “ floaters “ that we are the club they want to support we’re always only going to get a decent crowd for the odd occasions like the Spurs game and the “ great escape “ game. What those occasions show is what the potential is but we must tempt them in to being regulars to grow this club and not turn them away with performances like against Yeovil, I wonder how much that performance will cost us in total with those who vowed not to come back?

lowandhard wrote:
Marky wrote:Why shouldn't we be? All the current League 2 teams were in a higher league than us a decade ago. Fans don't grow on trees.
That’s exactly right, we were out of the league for at least a generation so it’s a hard job to make up for that absence especially in a society that identifies so called “ winners “ and “ losers “ based on their profiles which are self-perpetuating because the MSM keep talking about them and them only. We are “ little Newport County “ when we play a “ big “ club, it’s just the way it is. Look at the sad old men around town in ManUre gear , for them football is watching Sky tv not attending live football games.

We have an uphill battle to recruit more people to the fan base and when you get a decent turnout you must ensure they go home happy. What you do not do, I’m sorry to say, is get totally f*cked solid by non-entities like Yeovil when for once you have managed to prise open the super-glued palms of the reluctant Newport public , and the thing is we always manage to do something like that, always. Unless we persuade the “ floaters “ that we are the club they want to support we’re always only going to get a decent crowd for the odd occasions like the Spurs game and the “ great escape “ game. What those occasions show is what the potential is but we must tempt them in to being regulars to grow this club and not turn them away with performances like against Yeovil, I wonder how much that performance will cost us in total with those who vowed not to come back?
Just about summed it up perfectly. There appears to be no logic at all in being a County fan. If it wasn't for the euphoria, then the dejection then euphoria again I think most fans would probably pack it in. There is no sense in it at all. Even MF has said recently in the media that things are not good for his blood pressure.

Yeovil hammered us at home then two wins on the bounce with one of them coming from being 0-2 down at home. Only at Newport sodding County, only at the County. :grin:

My own feeling is that there is not another club in the whole of the league that can match us over a 40 year period regarding contrasting emotions and the roller coaster nature of being a fan. Not one.