One of the worst referees I've seen in my life

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

excessbee

Re: One of the worst referees I've seen in my life

Postby excessbee » October 3rd, 2018, 10:05 am

Just checked what I thought was the case. Kettle was the referee who gave a penalty to Cambridge at the end of the game for a 'foul' by Mitch Rose. Also a red card, which was later overturned. Points lost. Added to that was Rose's reaction which got him a suspension, foolish, but all emanating from Kettle's error.
User

UPTHEPORT

The Republic of Malpas

Postby UPTHEPORT » October 3rd, 2018, 11:37 am

Threadbare wrote:How could the Macc player stay on after conceding a penalty ? Matt clear on goal, no cover. Even if not a straight red it must have been a yellow, and he had already been booked !
Baffling.

Honestly ! did you see thier first pen Butler was lucky to stay on Matt was out wider and two covering defenders
no avatar
User

Exile 1976

MT

Postby Exile 1976 » October 3rd, 2018, 11:48 am

UPTHEPORT wrote:
Threadbare wrote:How could the Macc player stay on after conceding a penalty ? Matt clear on goal, no cover. Even if not a straight red it must have been a yellow, and he had already been booked !
Baffling.

Honestly ! did you see thier first pen Butler was lucky to stay on Matt was out wider and two covering defenders

The ball was going wider and there was also our keeper to beat so Butlers was never a red card, yellow? yes, red? No chance.
Matt had an open goal.
no avatar
User

excessbee

Postby excessbee » October 3rd, 2018, 11:56 am

Two very different situations. Butler was trying to win the ball but got it wrong. Definite penalty but no card. If that challenge was anywhere else on the field would it have been a yellow card? Their challenge on Matt was certainly not an attempt to win the ball, that had long gone. It doesn't have to be a certainty of scoring, just a clear goal scoring opportunity. Red card any day of the week.
User

SJG99

The End of the Hedge

Postby SJG99 » October 3rd, 2018, 1:33 pm

UPTHEPORT wrote:
Baffling.

You can't have seen it since, Matt was basically a yard to the right of the penalty spot with a completely open goal when fouled by a player not even attempting to get the ball. It was a booking just for the foul without even needing to consider that it was a bolted on red card for DOGSO.

Kettle pointing at other players just proved what bonkers fantasy world he lives in - no-one on the pitch was in any position to stop the goal apart from the player who committed the foul (and Matt himself of course).
no avatar
User

Corpaboy

Postby Corpaboy » October 3rd, 2018, 3:42 pm

Didn't I read that Kettle was drafted in last minute for last nights game and wasn't the original ref ?
User

SJG99

The End of the Hedge

Postby SJG99 » October 3rd, 2018, 4:40 pm

Corpaboy wrote:Didn't I read that Kettle was drafted in last minute for last nights game and wasn't the original ref ?

It was announced at least a day before, but he was a replacement, yes. Not sure that should affect his ability to see and interpret decisions well, though legend has it he's never possessed those qualities.
no avatar
User

George Street-Bridge

Postby George Street-Bridge » October 3rd, 2018, 6:33 pm

I thought their first penalty was correct and Butler could easily have gone and the video hasn't changed my mind. If the second was for handball I don't see how Demetriou could possibly have got out of the way.

For ours that tackle was a nailed-on yellow anywhere else on the pitch and a second for the defender. Shocking.

Have refs been given priorities for this season? Several times now including last night I've seen long advantage being played well but complete disregard for where throws are taken.
no avatar
User

Cornish Exile

Postby Cornish Exile » October 3rd, 2018, 7:44 pm

The only positive in his performance was that he didn't blow for time before Matt's header went in.
no avatar
User

excessbee

Postby excessbee » October 3rd, 2018, 8:14 pm

Cornish Exile wrote:The only positive in his performance was that he didn't blow for time before Matt's header went in.

And poetic justice that the equaliser was probably scored in the extra thirty seconds added for Macclesfield making a substitution in the 95th minute.
no avatar
User

OLDCROMWELLIAN

TrefGruffydd

Postby OLDCROMWELLIAN » October 3rd, 2018, 8:36 pm

excessbee wrote:
Cornish Exile wrote:The only positive in his performance was that he didn't blow for time before Matt's header went in.

And poetic justice that the equaliser was probably scored in the extra thirty seconds added for Macclesfield making a substitution in the 95th minute.

That's a very good point. Given that 30 secs appears to be automatically added for every substitution, i believe that it can sometimes be counterproductive as not all substitutions take that long. At least the timekeeper was fair with us last night.
no avatar
User

excessbee

Postby excessbee » October 3rd, 2018, 8:39 pm

The referee is the timekeeper.
no avatar
User

OLDCROMWELLIAN

TrefGruffydd

Postby OLDCROMWELLIAN » October 3rd, 2018, 9:13 pm

excessbee wrote:The referee is the timekeeper.

Have to excuse my ignorance on how this works, re communication between referee and fourth official. Perhaps i should have said at least the timekeeping was in our favour?
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Postby pembsexile » October 3rd, 2018, 9:21 pm

Apart from the normal circumstances, i.e. time wasting, substitutions, attending to injuries and getting players off the field, the referee can add time on for 'any other reason'. Just about the most ridiculous rule in the FIFA rule book. Sometimes it works in your favour though - other times it doesn't.
no avatar
User

PenperPort

Postby PenperPort » October 4th, 2018, 2:20 pm

excessbee wrote:

And of course their keeper who eventually got booked .
PreviousNext