The missing 1000

So since the Yeovil game roughly 1000 home fans have decided to stay at home. One third of those in attendance despite being in the top 3. What is causing the fans to stay away? We seriously need a good marketing manager as the Newport County brand is clearly not bringing in the floating fan. Are we doing enough in the way of deals? Family tickets etc? £19 as the on the day price for the terrace is a bit of a piss take And people in Newport simply won't pay it.

I really find this a bit worrying for the future of our club. A large percentage of our fans base is not getting any younger. We need to be doing everything we can to bring the local people in.

I know Champions League night, United on the box etc etc but we need to make people feel incentivised to come over and hopefully get them hooked. This is something that a good marketing team would/should be able to do. Speculate to accumulate...

Re: The missing 1000

Caerleon Exile wrote:So since the Yeovil game roughly 1000 home fans have decided to stay at home. One third of those in attendance despite being in the top 3. What is causing the fans to stay away? We seriously need a good marketing manager as the Newport County brand is clearly not bringing in the floating fan. Are we doing enough in the way of deals? Family tickets etc? £19 as the on the day price for the terrace is a bit of a piss take And people in Newport simply won't pay it.

I really find this a bit worrying for the future of our club. A large percentage of our fans base is not getting any younger. We need to be doing everything we can to bring the local people in.

I know Champions League night, United on the box etc etc but we need to make people feel incentivised to come over and hopefully get them hooked. This is something that a good marketing team would/should be able to do. Speculate to accumulate...
The total number of County fans at home games, after 6 games in the league, has dropped from 19279 last season, to 18088 at the same stage this season........ a drop of 1191.... or 6.18%. Doesn't sound much does it?..... but a drop of 6.18% equates to something in the order of £61,000 a season in lost sales.

I just find it incredible that people think £19 is a lot to pay for League football, especially when the team is doing well.

I'm also vaguely surprised people don't think midweek games will see attendances drop off - especially when there are two home matches in 4 days. People work away, people can't afford to go to two matches that close together, people can't be bothered with the rush hour traffic, people don't want to take their kids because the match finishes past their bedtime, fewer away fans midweek (and also Macclesfield are one of the smaller clubs too), there are a pile of reasons that people don't come along - add to that the 6-0 humping and general lack of effort perceived the last time many of them came along, and you can see why there would be a drop off. I am 99% sure it's got nothing to do with £10 streaming though - I paid it but wouldn't have been at the match.

The answer to "get bigger crowds" is a combination of

> win more matches (which can still take time to take effect)
> play more matches on Saturdays
> charge less
> play more well known opponents / in a higher division and
> have good weather

Most of those are either out of the club's control or not actually financially beneficial anyway.

SJG99 wrote:I just find it incredible that people think £19 is a lot to pay for League football, especially when the team is doing well.

I'm also vaguely surprised people don't think midweek games will see attendances drop off - especially when there are two home matches in 4 days. People work away, people can't afford to go to two matches that close together, people can't be bothered with the rush hour traffic, people don't want to take their kids because the match finishes past their bedtime, fewer away fans midweek (and also Macclesfield are one of the smaller clubs too), there are a pile of reasons that people don't come along - add to that the 6-0 humping and general lack of effort perceived the last time many of them came along, and you can see why there would be a drop off. I am 99% sure it's got nothing to do with £10 streaming though - I paid it but wouldn't have been at the match.

The answer to "get bigger crowds" is a combination of

> win more matches (which can still take time to take effect)
> play more matches on Saturdays
> charge less
> play more well known opponents / in a higher division and
> have good weather

Most of those are either out of the club's control or not actually financially beneficial anyway.
Do iFollow publish the "online video attendance"? If not, why not. The club needs to know the effect of the £10 streaming on the actual attendance.

daftasfxxx wrote:Make it known that the football is a lot cheaper than the rugby when watching from the Bisley, 38 quid to watch that lot
Whilst not disputing £38 is the most expensive seat in the bisley if not bought in advance(highly unlikely to be available). Earlier prices are between £18 and £33. also only 13 home games per season, barring progression in European cup (extremely unlikely), means it isn't cheaper overall to support the County. I'm probably one of the minority who pay to watch both teams, and therefore don't believe it's likely the promoting soccer as cheaper than rugby will get many if any converts.

I think we are looking at this the wrong way. In the 1979/80 promotion season our attendances only dramatically increased to over 4,000 from February onwards when we were genuinely in contention for promotion.

After our demise in the late 80s, I would estimate we lost one, possibly two generations of supporters to sky sports during those wilderness years and todays average crowd of 3,000 shows quite considerable growth from just 10 seasons ago, long may it continue. It is great to see so many younger supporters enjoying it.
Last edited by Alan G Bryant on October 3rd, 2018, 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

We were playing a Yeovil on a Saturday. Both teams were in or around the play-off places. We played Macclesfield the team who've been bottom, or next to bottom, for much of the season on a Tuesday evening after work.

Mindset: Saturday - should be a good game over the County today fancy going?
Mindset: Tuesday Evening - County are playing the bottom team tonight, finishes at 9.45 and I've got work and you've got school in the morning, fancy going?

Saturday - Tuesday = 1,000 :roll:

Seem to get one of these discussions every few weeks. Ticket prices are comparable with other L2 clubs.
When last season started everyone was on a high after the great escape and we had the first few games away from home and there was a big push to get 5K for the first game. Can't remember what the first gate was - 4500 ? or something like that. Gates then dropped off. I don't think gates are too bad this season and if we can stay up there and stop the flood of goals (at home) then gates should start to compare more favourably with last seasons and even start to show an increase. I'm not aware of any special efforts by the club to increase attendances so it's pretty much up to what happens on the pitch ....

rgds Dave