Re: The missing 1000

daftasfxxx wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:An old idea but in my view a good one.

All of the old men and women who post on here got hooked as kids. Any child in full time education should be allowed in free with a paying adult. If a dad or mum with a couple of kids could stand on the north terrace for £15 I believe it would not cost us money and in the long run would would result in bigger paying crowds.
Tbh if i had to watch from the north terrace it would put me off, horible place to watch a match
Considering,as mentioned by a previous poster, that A block(family) is very sparsly occupied on most match days, would it be worth considering Stan's idea for £15 for Adult with 2 children in FTE for that block. At least they will be under cover and wouldn't be as expensive to the club as opening the north terrace. I notice this block is almost full on rugby match days with junior and mini teams (with a number of parents and coaches) who play on the pitch and provide a guard of honour before the game.
I notice also that many teams, rugby and soccer will have differing pricing for their stands, depending on there relative position from the halfway line ?

County Valleyboy wrote:This is interesting
https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/sport/fo ... ed-1363632
Add Cwmbran and it's even more depressing. My view has always been that the wrong approach is to blame the people of Newport. The correct approach is for our club to appoint a CEO who would actually do the work of finding out why so few of our population watch County and secondly find out what needs to be done to rectify the situation.

George Street-Bridge wrote:The list of stats is about as much use as the proverbial chocolate teapot. Forest Green's average last season may have been half the size of the population of the village they play in, but how many were with visiting clubs? Grimsby's is only based on Cleethorpes etc etc.
Accept that stats on there are can be very misleading without taken many other factors into account. The most relevent comparision for the County of course are against Exeter and this season Northampton as the only other teams who have rugby teams who consistently attract more supporters than football. That's not to say the club shouldn't do everything possible to increase attendences of course, but the reality IS we will never be high up the attendence figures in the EFL, because football is not as popular in this area as it is in most parts of the country. Any increases will be evolutionary and not revolutionary.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
Considering,as mentioned by a previous poster, that A block(family) is very sparsly occupied on most match days, would it be worth considering Stan's idea for £15 for Adult with 2 children in FTE for that block. At least they will be under cover and wouldn't be as expensive to the club as opening the north terrace. I notice this block is almost full on rugby match days with junior and mini teams (with a number of parents and coaches) who play on the pitch and provide a guard of honour before the game.
I notice also that many teams, rugby and soccer will have differing pricing for their stands, depending on there relative position from the halfway line ?
If the club is going to experiment again with reduced pricing, they need the conviction to start with one of the bigger league games and not use it try to to increase the numbers at one of the most unattractive fixtures as most offers have been aimed before.
I agree that needlessly increasing costs and giving people what must be one of the worst views in League 2 from the North terrace would be counter productive and unlikely to attract repeat custom and combining the family section with the area used for complimentary school tickets, guard of honour team etc would help create a bigger family area atmosphere. I think these are currently accommodated in the South end of the Hazel for logistical reasons.

I don't know if you're talking about Block A in the Bisley or Block A in the Hazell (is there one?). I wouldn't put anyone in the Bisley A - it's behind the goal and the view must be terrible - I get a cricked neck from Block B. Is the try line further back than our goal line - if it is then Block A would be fine for rugby. It's true that if people are remotely interested, there are plenty of ways to find out about match days, times, shop opening hours etc. but, if they're only casually interested, they're not going to check social media or the SWA - there needs to be overt advertising to kick start their thinking. Can we not put details of fixtures in places like Spoons or Tiny Rebel - or anywhere else likely to be noticed.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
County Valleyboy wrote:This is interesting
https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/sport/fo ... ed-1363632
Add Cwmbran and it's even more depressing. My view has always been that the wrong approach is to blame the people of Newport. The correct approach is for our club to appoint a CEO who would actually do the work of finding out why so few of our population watch County and secondly find out what needs to be done to rectify the situation.
Also it doesn't take into account the number of people in the city and surrounding area that regularly watch other football teams, eg Cardiff City. Port Vale obviously have competition from Stoke City.

[quote="westsider"]I don't know if you're talking about Block A in the Bisley or Block A in the Hazell (is there one?). I wouldn't put anyone in the Bisley A - it's behind the goal and the view must be terrible - I get a cricked neck from Block B. Is the try line further back than our goal line - if it is then Block A would be fine for rugby. It's true that if people are remotely interested, there are plenty of ways to find out about match days, times, shop opening hours etc. but, if they're only casually interested, they're not going to check social media or the SWA - there needs to be overt advertising to kick start their thinking. Can we not put details of fixtures in places like Spoons or Tiny Rebel - or anywhere else likely to be noticed.[/quote

I was suggesting Block A in the bisley rather than Block A in the rodney stand (ex Hazel), but i wasn't considering the fact that of course the try line is about 10 metres further back than the goal line. Perhaps block E in the rodney stand may be a better option for the propose reduced price family block as it is sparsely inhabited for football, but well populated for rugby (Probably due to it being just over half price compared to blocks B and C in the Rodney Stand)

daftasfxxx wrote:
JonD wrote:If they kicked off at 7:15 on a Monday night that’d work for me :)
Swings and roundabouts, a lot struggle to make it for 7 45 so bringming kick off forward could possibly make things worse
Sure. But if we’re talking about getting youngsters hooked then why not bring kick-off forward? My first County game was a 7:15 kick-off. I’d not have been there that night had it started at 7:45.

EDIT: I’m sure the EFL will have thought of reasons why not but playing on Monday night would be something of a USP. It’s a night when there’s not too much going on. It was one of the reasons why in 1986 on a cold frosty evening in Stoke-on-Trent, a young man with nowt better to found himself at a Port Vale match (Vale played Mondays, Stoke Tuesdays). :)
Last edited by JonD on October 6th, 2018, 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

At the time of writing, for LAST SEASON, I don't have the figures for the full season available. If anyone has the full season's figures maybe they can do the comparison based on complete attendance figures for league games..... but from the details* I have:

For 9 home games played on a Saturday, average number of HOME fans.....................3225
For 5 home games played on a NON Saturday, average number of HOME fans...........2530
Average number "missing" on non Saturday games..........................................................695 (21.55%)

nb:
This was up to and including the Luton game
*This does not include Cheltenham due to programme printing error

An earlier kick off would be preferable I'm sure to parents who don't want their kids getting home and to bed after 10.00 pm on a school day. It would also be preferable to older people who use public transport and may have a better chance of getting a bus at a more sensible time and don't feel comfortable waiting around town (I'm aware though that Newport Transport don't seem to run many buses after 7.00). It won't happen in any case because the EFL won't allow it and we have to bow to their superior knowledge.