Re: GRANDSTAND: Exiles v Stevenage

mike wilks wrote:Yet another resilient performance from the lads today, moreover even, with the loss of Bakinson and Wilmott in an almost wafer thin squad we once again prevailed.....Very proud that we are becoming a Team to reckon with......COME ON 'U MIGHTY PORT...
Isn't that the third 90 + min goal at home this season. More than just a co-incidence i'm thinking. Have to agree with others also who mentioned the wind. Very tricky and unpredictable conditions made light of by both sides.

excessbee wrote:I said to my mate that I'd like to see Pipe for Willmott with Forbes pushing forward but unfortunately it happened because of injury.
That was definitely the change that needed to be made, but before the injury happened. I know I'll get criticism for saying this but Willmott had a typical Willmott performance - a few nice touches but largely ineffective and uninterested. What you need in a side challenging for promotion is someone that can produce performances match to match and throughout the match. You cannot carry someone in a midfield role that flits in and out of the game like Willmott does.

My feeling on the injury was that the opposition player caught him on the base of the leg just below the shin and above the foot. Possibly nasty bruising and will be need to rest up for a couple of weeks but hopefully nothing serious. And nothing malicious, their player was committed to the challenge...

wattsville_boy wrote:
excessbee wrote:I said to my mate that I'd like to see Pipe for Willmott with Forbes pushing forward but unfortunately it happened because of injury.
That was definitely the change that needed to be made, but before the injury happened. I know I'll get criticism for saying this but Willmott had a typical Willmott performance - a few nice touches but largely ineffective and uninterested. What you need in a side challenging for promotion is someone that can produce performances match to match and throughout the match. You cannot carry someone in a midfield role that flits in and out of the game like Willmott does.

My feeling on the injury was that the opposition player caught him on the base of the leg just below the shin and above the foot. Possibly nasty bruising and will be need to rest up for a couple of weeks but hopefully nothing serious. And nothing malicious, their player was committed to the challenge...
Totally agree, unfortunately Flynn has so much man love for him that I suspect, when fit, Wilmott’s name is one of the first to go down on the Team sheet. To me he has an almost lazy style of play and hardly raises a sweat, yes he can put the occasional good cross into the box but that is about it. Personally I thought the midfield was much better once he went off.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote:
wattsville_boy wrote:

Totally agree, unfortunately Flynn has so much man love for him that I suspect, when fit, Wilmott’s name is one of the first to go down on the Team sheet. To me he has an almost lazy style of play and hardly raises a sweat, yes he can put the occasional good cross into the box but that is about it. Personally I thought the midfield was much better once he went off.
But let's hope the lads ok would have been nice

Stow Hill Sid wrote:Great three points. Delighted for the lads that played.

We scored in the first minute and in the 90+7 minute. That has got to be some sort of record of the longest period of play between two goals for the same team in the same match. Someone phone Trivial Pursuit. :cheers:
We didn't have a corner all match either. How often does that happen in a match? According to BBC statistics Stevenage only had one corner, though I thought it was two.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote:
wattsville_boy wrote:

I would agree we looked so much better when Wilmott went off we had effectively been playing with 10 prior to that for long periods and whilst it is good to hear the injury is not serious I hope he is not picked in centre midfield again - he cannot play there, he is a wide right player and interestingly he was injured from that position as it was only from that position that he was able to get into the game.

I don't know why Wilmott gets so much criticism. I agree that yesterday wasn't one of his better games, and he is better playing as a right winger. However, other players were average yesterday. Amond didn't really get in to the match. As usual he worked very hard helping out the defence but he wasn't much of a threat as a striker. It would be interesting to find out how many of his goals came from Wilmott's assists. The latest one being last week at FGR. Forbes looks good going forward but I don't rate him as a defender. It was noticeable that Stevenage's best attacks including their goal were down his flank. I can't remember Forbes preventing one cross into our area. When Pipe came on that threat was almost non-existent.

Blackandamber wrote:I don't know why Wilmott gets so much criticism. I agree that yesterday wasn't one of his better games, and he is better playing as a right winger. However, other players were average yesterday. Amond didn't really get in to the match. As usual he worked very hard helping out the defence but he wasn't much of a threat as a striker. It would be interesting to find out how many of his goals came from Wilmott's assists. The latest one being last week at FGR. Forbes looks good going forward but I don't rate him as a defender. It was noticeable that Stevenage's best attacks including their goal were down his flank. I can't remember Forbes preventing one cross into our area. When Pipe came on that threat was almost non-existent.
Firstly their goal came from a cross that Dolan didn't close down. Secondly Pipe was awful, I'm a big fan of his but he almost gave away possession every time he passed it.

SULLY34 wrote:
Blackandamber wrote:I don't know why Wilmott gets so much criticism. I agree that yesterday wasn't one of his better games, and he is better playing as a right winger. However, other players were average yesterday. Amond didn't really get in to the match. As usual he worked very hard helping out the defence but he wasn't much of a threat as a striker. It would be interesting to find out how many of his goals came from Wilmott's assists. The latest one being last week at FGR. Forbes looks good going forward but I don't rate him as a defender. It was noticeable that Stevenage's best attacks including their goal were down his flank. I can't remember Forbes preventing one cross into our area. When Pipe came on that threat was almost non-existent.
Firstly their goal came from a cross that Dolan didn't close down. Secondly Pipe was awful, I'm a big fan of his but he almost gave away possession every time he passed it.

Agree with this. Pipe gave the crowd and players a lift by the look of it but was poor. The only reason they didn't get down that wing then was because Rice, who was excellent, went off and Stevenage were sitting back playing for the point.

Blackandamber wrote:I don't know why Wilmott gets so much criticism.....
In every office, in every classroom, in every factory and in every football team, someone always is made the scapegoat. There is even the expression, "there's always the one".

For us of an earlier generation it was Wynne Hooper, followed by Steve Lowndes. My own view is that once our collective mind is made up confirmation bias takes over. Every mishit pass from Wilmott is remembered, every mishit pass from everyone else is ignored.

It was ever thus.