Re: Our gates

A mate from work who has followed Cardiff over the years but is based in Newport comes to the games and he loves it. He likes the Hazell atmosphere, the intimacy and the crack. Not forgetting we have been playing some decent football as well and you can't leave games early. I wouldn't beat yourself up about why people come or do not come but just enjoy it and spread the gospel. Some people are skint, some people don't give a toss about us but we just keep going and proving people wrong. We have always done that and will always do it. There's more to come.

markvickery wrote:A mate from work who has followed Cardiff over the years but is based in Newport comes to the games and he loves it. He likes the Hazell atmosphere, the intimacy and the crack. Not forgetting we have been playing some decent football as well and you can't leave games early. I wouldn't beat yourself up about why people come or do not come but just enjoy it and spread the gospel. Some people are skint, some people don't give a toss about us but we just keep going and proving people wrong. We have always done that and will always do it. There's more to come.
Hallelujah- well said.

I'm in agreement to a large extent with markvicary 'don't beat yourself up about why people don't come.' Whilst accepting that of course it's the CEO responsibility to do whatever he can to increase attendances; but afterall you can only 'lead a horse to water'. Yes the majority of people in the area are apathetic, but what has not been mentioned is the actually dislike of the game by many. In my neck of the woods i often hear of peoples disgust at the grossly overpaid play acting prima donnas. There is a widespread perception of a lack of integrity and honesty amongst players, managers and pundits. I'm sure this is primarily due to seeing Premiership football on TV with players diving, feigning injury; managers turning blind eyes to their own teams misdemeanours; and pundits encouraging cheating with comments such as ' he was entitled to go down', or in other words simulation. On the flipside, however, those that know me as a county supporter will often ask 'how are they doing' and would wish them well.
I do like Stan idea though of free entry for children. I assume this would mean free entry for 2 under 16's with each full price paying adult; thus encouraging the next generation. I'm sure that if the academy were able to produce more local players for the first team this would have a positive affect on attendances and maybe even encourage more aspiring sportsmen from the area to play the game

Fourthousand wrote:
markvickery wrote:A mate from work who has followed Cardiff over the years but is based in Newport comes to the games and he loves it. He likes the Hazell atmosphere, the intimacy and the crack. Not forgetting we have been playing some decent football as well and you can't leave games early. I wouldn't beat yourself up about why people come or do not come but just enjoy it and spread the gospel. Some people are skint, some people don't give a toss about us but we just keep going and proving people wrong. We have always done that and will always do it. There's more to come.
Hallelujah- well said.
Hallelujah- well said. Let's party like it's 1983.

I am really sorry that I recall four great years, knocking West Ham out of the Cup, the season of triumph, European football, top of Division 3.

Great party guys, shame we didn't plan for the following four years. Relegation, relegation, went bust, playing in Gloucestershire, losing to Henbury Old Boys.

Great party guys.

Obviously people only have a certain amount of disposable income that they're prepared to use on leisure. The challenge is to make NCAFC an attractive destination, to the extent it gets given a high priority in people's list of leisure activities.
Take myself as an example. Here are some leisure activities that I could take up if I so wished, and including football and where they are placed price-wise. It's a matter of priorities, and like I said, we need to find a way of making NCAFC high in people's lists.
In each case, I've used an honest average adult price, including the cost of travel by public transport:

QPR Home game................£56.20
Cardiff City home game.......£38.00
NCAFC Home game...........£28.60
Cardiff Blues home game...£27.80
Greyhound Racing.............£16.00
Ten-pin Bowling..................£12.00
Movie..................................£7.80

People will have their own lists of course, whether written down or not, their PERCEPTION is of the price against value for money.
We need to keep talking about how well the County are playing, how rocking the atmosphere gets at RP, how we need every £ we can get, etc etc.....
Looking at my list above, County looks quite expensive, but I honestly don't see how much more the Board can do on pricing, on top of the good work already done in keeping the cost of the pricing structure overall, as low as possible, for as long as possible. The Board have done a good job on pricing, attracting kids, school groups, community visits etc, etc....

I think it's just down to results on the pitch now, to elevate NCAFC in people's priorities.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Fourthousand wrote:
Hallelujah- well said.
Hallelujah- well said. Let's party like it's 1983.

I am really sorry that I recall four great years, knocking West Ham out of the Cup, the season of triumph, European football, top of Division 3.

Great party guys, shame we didn't plan for the following four years. Relegation, relegation, went bust, playing in Gloucestershire, losing to Henbury Old Boys.

Great party guys.
It was great (and Workington) and many other games... out of curuosity,how many 'golden bullet' CEO's (who will work for circa £30 - 50k do you know?

Fourthousand wrote:
It was great (and Workington) and many other games... out of curuosity,how many 'golden bullet' CEO's (who will work for circa £30 - 50k do you know?
Read my post above. 200 on the gate pays for the 'golden bullet' CEO, and if s/he can't do that then they ain't golden anything.

That's pretty much sums up why people who are good at their jobs get paid more. Newport the city which does everything on the cheap. Pretty much sums up why Newport is always the city that fails.

I think we need to change our loser mentality. Don't you?

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Fourthousand wrote:
Read my post above. 200 on the gate pays for the 'golden bullet' CEO, and if s/he can't do that then they ain't golden anything.

That's pretty much sums up why people who are good at their jobs get paid more. Newport the city which does everything on the cheap. Pretty much sums up why Newport is always the city that fails.

I think we need to change our loser mentality. Don't you?
I understand mathematics - but the question was: how many do you know (of)?

Fourthousand wrote:
Glad you understand the mathematics.

I don't know any.

However unlike yourself l do know how hat the best way of filling a vacancy is to advertise. Just getting in someone you know or getting the cheapest candidate is not a good idea. Rebecca Hemming ring any bells?

newgroundrodney wrote:Obviously people only have a certain amount of disposable income that they're prepared to use on leisure. The challenge is to make NCAFC an attractive destination, to the extent it gets given a high priority in people's list of leisure activities.
Take myself as an example. Here are some leisure activities that I could take up if I so wished, and including football and where they are placed price-wise. It's a matter of priorities, and like I said, we need to find a way of making NCAFC high in people's lists.
In each case, I've used an honest average adult price, including the cost of travel by public transport:

People will have their own lists of course, whether written down or not, their PERCEPTION is of the price against value for money.
We need to keep talking about how well the County are playing, how rocking the atmosphere gets at RP, how we need every £ we can get, etc etc.....
Looking at my list above, County looks quite expensive, but I honestly don't see how much more the Board can do on pricing, on top of the good work already done in keeping the cost of the pricing structure overall, as low as possible, for as long as possible. The Board have done a good job on pricing, attracting kids, school groups, community visits etc, etc....

I think it's just down to results on the pitch now, to elevate NCAFC in people's priorities.
Good post this. Whilst you are stating the obvious, you are also obviously correct. Look at the recent history of the club. Whilst we were in oblivion our gates were a reflection of that. As we climbed up the leagues back into the EFL, our gates rose accordingly.

Thank heavens we have a very good (albeit learning) manager. He has managed to gather together a good crop of players and is getting relative success.

I agree with a previous poster who said that if we are still in this position at Christmas our gates will rise as well. If we can continue into Feb/Mar they will rise again.

The trick will be for the club to tap into the psyche of the Newport public and get as many people as possible to attend. Use the success to make people feel uncomfortable as to why they would want to stay away. Then, don't feel guilty about it, spread the word. Overcoming apathy is a long process and success is one tool in the armoury for overcoming it. The Newport footballing public need to feel guilty for not supporting a successful local team and stuff those people who don't agree with the methods.

The maths are this 16 home league games at (lets say) £17 a head x 200 extra fans = £54,400 for the rest of the season. However for the full 23 games, which possibly Stan's back of a fag packet calculation was made on = £78,200.

Both arguments are perhaps invalid as any decent CEO wouldn't just have influence on attendances by generating greater interest in the club but should also effect greater revenue streams through other means...

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Fourthousand wrote:
Glad you understand the mathematics.

I don't know any.

However unlike yourself l do know how hat the best way of filling a vacancy is to advertise. Just getting in someone you know or getting the cheapest candidate is not a good idea. Rebecca Hemming ring any bells?
Excellent suggestion - back to enjoying the football for me - for just one minute I thought you were about to do more than just theorize the issue you have been worried about for so long.

pembsexile wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:Obviously people only have a certain amount of disposable income that they're prepared to use on leisure. The challenge is to make NCAFC an attractive destination, to the extent it gets given a high priority in people's list of leisure activities.

Good post this. Whilst you are stating the obvious, you are also obviously correct. Look at the recent history of the club. Whilst we were in oblivion our gates were a reflection of that. As we climbed up the leagues back into the EFL, our gates rose accordingly.

Thank heavens we have a very good (albeit learning) manager. He has managed to gather together a good crop of players and is getting relative success.

I agree with a previous poster who said that if we are still in this position at Christmas our gates will rise as well. If we can continue into Feb/Mar they will rise again.

The trick will be for the club to tap into the psyche of the Newport public and get as many people as possible to attend. Use the success to make people feel uncomfortable as to why they would want to stay away. Then, don't feel guilty about it, spread the word. Overcoming apathy is a long process and success is one tool in the armoury for overcoming it. The Newport footballing public need to feel guilty for not supporting a successful local team and stuff those people who don't agree with the methods.
The only problem is that even if County are still in the same position come Jan/Feb they may not attract extra fans due to the weather and the issue of the stadium being a wind tunnel and most of it not offering protection from any rains that falls. If you have the option of going to see the County and freezing your tits off or spending the money going somewhere warm and dry instead many would choose the latter option...