Re: Our gates

wattsville_boy wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:Obviously people only have a certain amount of disposable income that they're prepared to use on leisure. The challenge is to make NCAFC an attractive destination, to the extent it gets given a high priority in people's list of leisure activities.
Take myself as an example. Here are some leisure activities that I could take up if I so wished, and including football and where they are placed price-wise. It's a matter of priorities, and like I said, we need to find a way of making NCAFC high in people's lists.
In each case, I've used an honest average adult price, including the cost of travel by public transport:

QPR Home game................£56.20
Cardiff City home game.......£38.00
NCAFC Home game...........£28.60
Cardiff Blues home game...£27.80
Greyhound Racing.............£16.00
Ten-pin Bowling..................£12.00
Movie..................................£7.80

People will have their own lists of course, whether written down or not, their PERCEPTION is of the price against value for money.
We need to keep talking about how well the County are playing, how rocking the atmosphere gets at RP, how we need every £ we can get, etc etc.....
Looking at my list above, County looks quite expensive, but I honestly don't see how much more the Board can do on pricing, on top of the good work already done in keeping the cost of the pricing structure overall, as low as possible, for as long as possible. The Board have done a good job on pricing, attracting kids, school groups, community visits etc, etc....

I think it's just down to results on the pitch now, to elevate NCAFC in people's priorities.
Good post this. Whilst you are stating the obvious, you are also obviously correct. Look at the recent history of the club. Whilst we were in oblivion our gates were a reflection of that. As we climbed up the leagues back into the EFL, our gates rose accordingly.

Thank heavens we have a very good (albeit learning) manager. He has managed to gather together a good crop of players and is getting relative success.

I agree with a previous poster who said that if we are still in this position at Christmas our gates will rise as well. If we can continue into Feb/Mar they will rise again.

The trick will be for the club to tap into the psyche of the Newport public and get as many people as possible to attend. Use the success to make people feel uncomfortable as to why they would want to stay away. Then, don't feel guilty about it, spread the word. Overcoming apathy is a long process and success is one tool in the armoury for overcoming it. The Newport footballing public need to feel guilty for not supporting a successful local team and stuff those people who don't agree with the methods.
The only problem is that even if County are still in the same position come Jan/Feb they may not attract extra fans due to the weather and the issue of the stadium being a wind tunnel and most of it not offering protection from any rains that falls. If you have the option of going to see the County and freezing your tits off or spending the money going somewhere warm and dry instead many would choose the latter option...
Not if they;
Have an inherent interest in Newport
Are a football fan
Have a (suppressed) interest in the County

The trick for a professional administrator would be a knowledge of how to flick the switch in the waverers heads.

The very fact we are debating/arguing this on a Saturday morning shows the passion that exists. I do sometimes wonder if we have the brains.

For me at the heart of all our difficulties is the Newport attitude. As a town we seem to have an inferiority complex. Everyone else can develop a stadium, we can't. Just by way of example, a question often put, port and steel town, badly hit by earlier economic downturn, how can we compete?

The answer is I don't know. But as Scunthorpe has the same difficulties but is only just over half the size of Newport, I would ask them one simple question.

What the f@ck are you doing we're not?

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Fourthousand wrote:
markvickery wrote:A mate from work who has followed Cardiff over the years but is based in Newport comes to the games and he loves it. He likes the Hazell atmosphere, the intimacy and the crack. Not forgetting we have been playing some decent football as well and you can't leave games early. I wouldn't beat yourself up about why people come or do not come but just enjoy it and spread the gospel. Some people are skint, some people don't give a toss about us but we just keep going and proving people wrong. We have always done that and will always do it. There's more to come.
Hallelujah- well said.
Hallelujah- well said. Let's party like it's 1983.

I am really sorry that I recall four great years, knocking West Ham out of the Cup, the season of triumph, European football, top of Division 3.

Great party guys, shame we didn't plan for the following four years. Relegation, relegation, went bust, playing in Gloucestershire, losing to Henbury Old Boys.

Great party guys.

Great times indeed, in 1983 we had our own stadium and a commercial department. Go figure

Somewhere on YouTube there's a series of short video clips showing the state of lower league grounds in the early 80s. Somerton doesn't look as bad as it could have, it was filmed with the sun shining IIRC during minor building work ahead of the 1980-81 season which I think might be when we owned it.

I don't think the series includes Halifax, which from still photos was even worse, but the only one that looks worse in the clips is Rochdale, and look at how they managed to transform that.

Alan G Bryant wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:How much did we get for it?
Not much I would wager , I recall the council backing out of rescue package of over £300k though. What that figure equates to in today's money I do not know.
My recollection is £130,000. When the council sold us Somerton Park they stipulated that if it were ever sold it had to be to the council. They paid exactly what we paid to buy it. They then rented the stadium before selling it off at a very healthy profit.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Alan G Bryant wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:How much did we get for it?
Not much I would wager , I recall the council backing out of rescue package of over £300k though. What that figure equates to in today's money I do not know.
My recollection is £130,000. When the council sold us Somerton Park they stipulated that if it were ever sold it had to be to the council. They paid exactly what we paid to buy it. They then rented the stadium before selling it off at a very healthy profit.
And the site is still raking in the cash today, with all the drug dealers and prostitutes living on it.