Re: Labadie

The higher you move up the pyramid the 'greasier it gets.Ideally it would be great to do without Labadie but Crofts has been a dud (never mind all the off field stuff), Sheehan has been a big disappointment; the midfield has been the problem (Yes I know we've conceded 20 goals ) as it's not helping the defence properly. So yes I'd have him on a short contract .

I'll probably be in a minority of 5% but I would hate to see him back in a County Shirt, often injured, gave the ball away for fun, had the odd good game and was a threat off corners, but I would have Bakinson over him every single day of the week.
We've got Crofts, Sheehan on the bench for centre mid and Bennet can fulfil his role.
What we need is a genuine through ball passer like Byrne was who can then feed all those lads we have up front.
A big no for Labadie for me and defo not for £1500 + a week!

The NCFC Hippy wrote:I'll probably be in a minority of 5% but I would hate to see him back in a County Shirt, often injured, gave the ball away for fun, had the odd good game and was a threat off corners, but I would have Bakinson over him every single day of the week.
We've got Crofts, Sheehan on the bench for centre mid and Bennet can fulfil his role.
What we need is a genuine through ball passer like Byrne was who can then feed all those lads we have up front.

Surprised by this mate, but imo Bakinson (although he no doubt will be in the next few years) is currently nowhere near as good as Labadie. Lababie bossed game after game for us and is absolute quality at this level, no-one worked harder than him for us. Easily the best midfielder we've had since Byrne.

Exile 1976 wrote: Surprised by this mate, but imo Bakinson (although he no doubt will be in the next few years) is currently nowhere near as good as Labadie. Lababie bossed game after game for us and is absolute quality at this level, no-one worked harder than him for us. Easily the best midfielder we've had since Byrne.
I know pal, like I said I realise I'm in a minority on this one, but I just never rated Labs, and only saw a couple of games where he 'bossed' it, Spurs springs to mind, yeah he's a physical presence, but that's it, If I were a betting man, I would say, Bakinson will end up in the Prem or Championship minimum, whilst Labs will be league two for the rest of his crocked days.But like you said, it's an opinion, and Flynny is usually right! UTC

I'd have Labadie back in a flash if the deal was right, even if it was just for a few months. We'd need to factor in that his rehabilitation will likely see him miss games and that he wasn't exactly made of granite in the first place, so paying him by the game until he gets fully fit could work for both parties. If he reaches his peak around March for the run-in and we're still up there, could prove to be a masterstroke when you need committed, strong leaders out there.

If he did come back the key would be what kind of deal, we know we are at the max of our budget and had to rely on a donation to bring Pring in. He has not had a great injury record and is coming back of a major injury, a pay as you play deal is the right one for the club. I think if we cant keep hold of Bakinson in January he may be worth a look but i would prefer to prioritise keeping him over signing Labs.

The NCFC Hippy wrote:I'll probably be in a minority of 5% but I would hate to see him back in a County Shirt, often injured, gave the ball away for fun, had the odd good game and was a threat off corners, but I would have Bakinson over him every single day of the week.
I would agree with you - had some good games but far to injury prone and also reckless so often suspended - another player who is considered to be better than they actually are week in week out owing to the odd good game.

County ranger wrote:
I would agree with you - had some good games but far to injury prone and also reckless so often suspended - another player who is considered to be better than they actually are week in week out owing to the odd good game.
I’ll third that, he was great to watch- but only sometimes and when you add on his disciplinary record and injuries - nah!