Re: Labadie

Interesting Flynn's comments "if it's only £200 a week more". That's £10k a year and would take a seriously football orientated player to turn down that kind of money to sign for us. However, I suspect we're a much better option now that many thought we would have been in the summer so hopefully that might help us improve if/where we need to in January to be serious contenders!

Well, wherever he ends up, it will surely be on a monthly contract probably below league two whilst he proves his fitness. He can then tout himself out for a better gig in September but maybe still only month by month. Then, we may still be in the running, but for a very cautious price. The current problem seems to be that his replacement, hasn't been fit enough to start. If Crofts had been what we had hoped for, we wouldn't be talking about an unfit Labadie.

Collars wrote:Interesting Flynn's comments "if it's only £200 a week more". That's £10k a year and would take a seriously football orientated player to turn down that kind of money to sign for us. However, I suspect we're a much better option now that many thought we would have been in the summer so hopefully that might help us improve if/where we need to in January to be serious contenders!
I should imagine you're right. Labadie may well feel he has some unfinished business here, and wouldn't want things to end as they did. If he can come back, play for the rest of this season in a side challenging at the right end of the table, he'd potentially be helping both himself and Newport County AFC as well as possibly even securing a legacy for himself in the club's history if we did achieve a promotion. We've clearly done the right thing by him (letting him train with us, and presumably having access to advice from our physios), and that sort of help can go a long way. And frankly, even if he does go elsewhere, it still sends out the right message about the sort of club we are.

Fingers crossed.
Last edited by Kairdiff Exile on October 18th, 2018, 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Four words. Those of a certain age will remember, others can Google it.

Rodney Marsh, Manchester City.

Labadie is undoubtedly good enough. But a successful football team is more than the sum of it's parts. It remains my view that in grovelling to Labadie during the summer Michael Flynn demeaned himself and our club. I think that if any player is allowed to be bigger than the club then it may very well blast team spirit to shreds.

Other views are available, that's mine.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:Four words. Those of a certain age will remember, others can Google it.

Labadie is undoubtedly good enough. But a successful football team is more than the sum of it's parts. It remains my view that in grovelling to Labadie during the summer Michael Flynn demeaned himself and our club. I think that if any player is allowed to be bigger than the club then it may very well blast team spirit to shreds.

You have a valid point, the problem with it though is that many doubted that Rodney Marsh would fit into Manchester City's style of play and had legitimate concerns over the signing.

Those supporters that have watched us this season would probably highlight a ball winning box to box midfielder as our missing link and with doubts over Croft, I would have him back tomorrow.

MF is leaving the door open which is sensible.Labadie may want to come back or he may not.He might regain full fitness he may not.It's early doors on this.Tyreeq could go back in January,Crofts could continue to struggle with injury and Sheehan could fail to get back to the player that we had on loan.Labs could be needed if he gets fit or the three could all stay fit and we don't need him.MF,like Labs,is leaving his options open.

Kairdiff Exile wrote:
Collars wrote:Interesting Flynn's comments "if it's only £200 a week more". That's £10k a year and would take a seriously football orientated player to turn down that kind of money to sign for us. However, I suspect we're a much better option now that many thought we would have been in the summer so hopefully that might help us improve if/where we need to in January to be serious contenders!
I should imagine you're right. Labadie may well feel he has some unfinished business here, and wouldn't want things to end as they did. If he can come back, play for the rest of this season in a side challenging at the right end of the table, he'd potentially be helping both himself and Newport County AFC as well as possibly even securing a legacy for himself in the club's history if we did achieve a promotion. We've clearly done the right thing by him (letting him train with us, and presumably having access to advice from our physios), and that sort of help can go a long way. And frankly, even if he does go elsewhere, it still sends out the right message about the sort of club we are.

Fingers crossed.
He could be the "missing link" County currently have in their midfield and increase the possibility of promotion were he to return at anything like the standard he was before injury. It is a gamble but it would be a gamble with a little over half a seasons wages to pay (unless his agent was looking for a signing on fee with Labadie being a non-contract player). I wouldn't be against such a gamble as long as Labadie agreed to a trial period where he trains with the team so the County coaches can assess what shape he's in both physically and mentally...

Stan A. Einstein wrote:Four words. Those of a certain age will remember, others can Google it.

You can call it grovelling, others will see it as attempting to make Labadie know that he's still wanted by County. Neither is particularly relevant because his agent will possibly tell him where he's going next, all dependent on money...

wattsville_boy wrote:

You can call it grovelling, others will see it as attempting to make Labadie know that he's still wanted by County. Neither is particularly relevant because his agent will possibly tell him where he's going next, all dependent on money...
I agree it's all about money. And the view that Labadie might add to our team is very possibility true.

However my view is that over a long period of time Labadie was the tail wagging the dog. It looked to the outside world that a player was bigger than the club. And for me that simply isn't on.

Happens all the time, look at Rooney at Man Utd, put in a transfer request until United paid him the extra money he wanted.

IMO Labadie did not keep us on a lead as he turned down the offers he was made, he didn't keep us hanging for an answer like a lot of other players before they left.