Re: Labadie

I'm sure we all hope that he returns as good a player as he was previously, but of course that is an unknown factor and possibly an outside chance. At the moment I believe retaining Bakinson, Semenyo and Harris after January has a greater possibility of being beneficial to us as they have all shown their worth to us this season, with no reason to suppose that they cannot continue to do so.

Brilliant re-signing for the club. I am however saddened that many of us trust supporters were not informed of what has been going on, I FEEL UTTERLY DEVASTED. But club politics are for another day, I will be standing on the terrace this weekend cheering on the boys and the gaffer...

:hello1: :hello1: Ole, Ole, Ole, Ole, County, County... :hello1: :hello1:

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:I'm sure we all hope that he returns as good a player as he was previously, but of course that is an unknown factor and possibly an outside chance. At the moment I believe retaining Bakinson, Semenyo and Harris after January has a greater possibility of being beneficial to us as they have all shown their worth to us this season, with no reason to suppose that they cannot continue to do so.
Agree with that but what a bonus a fit Labadie would be eh?

lowandhard wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:I'm sure we all hope that he returns as good a player as he was previously, but of course that is an unknown factor and possibly an outside chance. At the moment I believe retaining Bakinson, Semenyo and Harris after January has a greater possibility of being beneficial to us as they have all shown their worth to us this season, with no reason to suppose that they cannot continue to do so.
Agree with that but what a bonus a fit Labadie would be eh?
Agreed

allontheamber wrote:Happy to have Labs back albeit with some reservations about what his form will be like following a serious injury. There is one thing I don't understand though.
He didn't want to re-sign for us presumably because he could get more money elsewhere. Now in spite of a host of other clubs clamouring for his signature we are allegedly able to sign for less than we offered last season. That doesn't stack up. More likely the host of other clubs was a figment of his agents imagination or we have upped our offer.
Not sure where I read about the reduced deal. If it was on this message board I could be barking up the wrong tree.
I mentioned reduced deal when the World Cup was on. AFAIK this deal is for more than the approximately half last year's offer that we originally made him when injured.

It makes sense, as if we've got an overall budget, not having him on the payroll between August and October will have saved us enough to offer him a bit more per month overall, which could still lead to a bigger "per month" amount but a lower total cost than paying a full year. Win-win. Especially with our central midfield missing our most influential player and at least one other starter.

Hopefully he'll be fit and ready to go and not affected by the injury. We'll see.

lowandhard wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:Some interesting comments from Labadie on bbc sport website, mentioning interest from league 1 side
Have you got a link, I can’t find any reference to a L1 side on that site?
Not competent enough technology wise to post link. I went to bbc sport website , Football menu, then all teams, Newport county. Headed 'Labadie wants to repay Newport's faith'. Says Newport beat off competition from League one teams, without naming the teams

Extract from bbc sport;
Joss Labadie says he wants to repay Newport County's faith in him by helping the club win promotion.
Newport beat off competition from League One clubs to re-sign the midfielder until the end of the season.
The 28-year old is "two or three weeks" from a return after missing around seven months due to a cruciate knee ligament injury.
"I do feel I owe Newport - they've been really supportive throughout my rehab," said Labadie.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:Extract from bbc sport;
Joss Labadie says he wants to repay Newport County's faith in him by helping the club win promotion.
Newport beat off competition from League One clubs to re-sign the midfielder until the end of the season.
The 28-year old is "two or three weeks" from a return after missing around seven months due to a cruciate knee ligament injury.
"I do feel I owe Newport - they've been really supportive throughout my rehab," said Labadie.
Cheers , let’s hope it works out both ways eh?

I believe the re-signing shows the benefits of displaying to Labadie that he was wanted by County. Flynn could quite easily have just allowed his contract to run out and release him, but expressed his desire for Labadie to stay several times.

I believe Labadie went to the League 1 side to train because the facilities were better and he might have been able to return quicker because of the better facilities. Obviously as a Free Agent he (and his Agent) will have weighed up all offers but County's display of "love" married with the realisation that he would be likely to play more often when fit possibly swung it County's way.

Obviously there is an element of a gamble (Sheehan is a good example of someone returning from injury and not being able to recreate his form of pre-injury) but it's a gamble worth taking...