Re: THE MF BOOK OF EXCUSES

Percy plunkett wrote:
pembsexile wrote:Why is it that you think that MF should have to come out with excuses? MF is definitely not the finished article, but have you forgotten what he has done for this club already?

With a restricted budget and a paper thin playing staff staff for most of the season we have been in the automatic promotion play off spots. We are now fourth. How disastrous eh?

There are a lot of things wrong with the policy at the club (particularly with regards to long term plans) but having Michael Flynn as manager is not one of them. I suggest that you have a look at your original post and do a little bit of self censorship.

Criticism is fine but your original post is way, way over the top. In my opinion it offers no value, no insight and no solution.
It is a myth that we have a small squad.There are 22 pro players,we had seven injuries and we still could name four subs.I looked back to the early eighties and our squad was 16 regulars with a few floaters playing a handful of games each.The PFA have convinced the EFL that we need seven subs so each club feel the need to employ 5 or 6 extra players to fill the bench.The PFA can now guarantee work for another 300+ pro footballers just in the EFL alone.
You may well be correct in your suggestion about the PFA convincing the EFL. However you are not correct in your statement about the number of subs on Saturday. There were more than 4. Michael Flynn was one of them! As I said 'we have a paper thin playing staff'.

It is a myth that we have a small squad.There are 22 pro players,we had seven injuries and we still could name four subs.I looked back to the early eighties and our squad was 16 regulars with a few floaters playing a handful of games each.The PFA have convinced the EFL that we need seven subs so each club feel the need to employ 5 or 6 extra players to fill the bench.The PFA can now guarantee work for another 300+ pro footballers just in the EFL alone.[/quote]

You may well be correct in your suggestion about the PFA convincing the EFL. However you are not correct in your statement about the number of subs on Saturday. There were more than 4. Michael Flynn was one of them! As I said 'we have a paper thin playing staff'.[/quote]

You could both be right! :grin:

Mike Flynn only registered the day before and Hillman has never been listed as in the squad.

For possible future reference, Flynn was given number 23 and Hillman number 31.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
excessbee wrote:Surely if a club penalises itself by not naming a full quota, then it's their tough luck.
Unlikely scenario but stay with this.

Team plays without anyone on the bench. Four players get injured and can't be replaced. Referee then has to abandon game.

I know, really must get a life. :shock:
I get your point but while apologising for such pedantry, that would be ok. If one more got injured/sent off though......

lowandhard wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
excessbee wrote:Surely if a club penalises itself by not naming a full quota, then it's their tough luck.
Unlikely scenario but stay with this.

Team plays without anyone on the bench. Four players get injured and can't be replaced. Referee then has to abandon game.

I know, really must get a life. :shock:
I get your point but while apologising for such pedantry, that would be ok. If one more got injured/sent off though......
Quite right. At least seven.

Both of us need to get a life. You know that don't you? :grin:

lowandhard wrote:Sure do but having retired I’m now too idle to get one :lol:
Loving that quote. Must remember to use it myself.

But going back to my question about number of subs i would have thought as long as you have 3 then how could a club be penalised. It's just i thought i remembered something about Man City being fined for not naming a full bench in recent years, or am i remembering wrongly?

pembsexile wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:
pembsexile wrote:Why is it that you think that MF should have to come out with excuses? MF is definitely not the finished article, but have you forgotten what he has done for this club already?

With a restricted budget and a paper thin playing staff staff for most of the season we have been in the automatic promotion play off spots. We are now fourth. How disastrous eh?

There are a lot of things wrong with the policy at the club (particularly with regards to long term plans) but having Michael Flynn as manager is not one of them. I suggest that you have a look at your original post and do a little bit of self censorship.

Criticism is fine but your original post is way, way over the top. In my opinion it offers no value, no insight and no solution.
It is a myth that we have a small squad.There are 22 pro players,we had seven injuries and we still could name four subs.I looked back to the early eighties and our squad was 16 regulars with a few floaters playing a handful of games each.The PFA have convinced the EFL that we need seven subs so each club feel the need to employ 5 or 6 extra players to fill the bench.The PFA can now guarantee work for another 300+ pro footballers just in the EFL alone.
You may well be correct in your suggestion about the PFA convincing the EFL. However you are not correct in your statement about the number of subs on Saturday. There were more than 4. Michael Flynn was one of them! As I said 'we have a paper thin playing staff'.
I was commenting on our professional squad of 22 which is not small as some suggest.MF and Hillman are not part of that squad,that's why I didn't include them.

excessbee wrote:I assume that in the event of a club ending up without the statutory seven players, whether through sendings off and/or lack of substitutes, the match would simply be awarded to the opposition, thus no advantage gained. It's bound to be in the small print somewhere. :wink:
As we are in the realm of unlikely/impossible. Imagine a team are winning 3-0 with five minutes to go. They need to win 4-0 to avoid relegation. Their opponents are then reduced to 6 players. If the result stands the team fighting to avoid relegation are denied the opportunity. If you say the score is 4-0 the team to go down in their place might not be best pleased.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
excessbee wrote:I assume that in the event of a club ending up without the statutory seven players, whether through sendings off and/or lack of substitutes, the match would simply be awarded to the opposition, thus no advantage gained. It's bound to be in the small print somewhere. :wink:
As we are in the realm of unlikely/impossible. Imagine a team are winning 3-0 with five minutes to go. They need to win 4-0 to avoid relegation. Their opponents are then reduced to 6 players. If the result stands the team fighting to avoid relegation are denied the opportunity. If you say the score is 4-0 the team to go down in their place might not be best pleased.
I don’t know ( because as previously established I’m too idle to research it ) but I would imagine there’s something in the competition’s rules that provide for such an occurrence. It’s difficult to work out a fair result to the scenario here because even a replay would be unlikely to restore the 3-0 score with numerical advantage as in the first match. I suspect the rules would award the win in such a scenario but as stated it wouldn’t be enough.

flat4 wrote:So which one will he use this week, the cracks of despair are beginning to show, has he lost the dressing room, one thing for sure the Argus will report in there usual way.

Sits down awaiting the gun fire.
I think I have actually seen it all now, the best start to a season EVER for the club in the league, we dare to lose a game and clowns like this appear. I wasn't going to give it the time of day and am actually surprised we've let this stay on the board as a thread (free speach and all that). We may not stay in top 7 (for me we defo will if can keep all the loanees fit and on the pitch) but even if we don't what an amzing start and effort from MF.