Re: THE MF BOOK OF EXCUSES

The NCFC Hippy wrote:
flat4 wrote:So which one will he use this week, the cracks of despair are beginning to show, has he lost the dressing room, one thing for sure the Argus will report in there usual way.

Sits down awaiting the gun fire.
I wasn't going to give it the time of day and am actually surprised we've let this stay on the board as a thread (free speach and all that).
Nothing he has written is offensive. The day that we start taking down opinions because we don't like them it really is time to pack the bags and go home.

Initial poster
Greetings
Flynnys hands are tied with no money in the bank.
Its all down to the board to save cash who decided we do not require an experienced Commercial Manager.
Madness
They must be so relieved that the teams success has made everybody forget the increasing serious lack of dosh in the bank.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:Initial poster
Greetings
Its all down to the board to save cash who decided we do not require an experienced Commercial Manager.
Madness
They must be so relieved that the teams success has made everybody forget the increasing serious lack of dosh in the bank.
I very much doubt that 'everybody' has forgotten about our 'serious lack of dosh in the bank'

flat4 wrote:You all go on about how poor some of our playing squad is, have you forgotten who brought them to the club in the first place, while our current position in the table looks good when you look at the stat`s they don`t lie, there is a current down trend in our overall performance irrespective of the result which indicates there are things going on behind closed doors we are not party too when it comes to the playing staff.
A true reflection of where we as a club stand will be more visible by our league position at xmas.
Current stats show County have achieved an average of 1.93 points per game over a range of 0.00 – 2.29 with an average of 0.57 wins per game over a range of 0.00 to 0.70.
Our league position has risen from 23rd on 4th August (Mansfield Away) to 4th at present, notwithstanding that on the 1st and 8th September we were actually 2nd.

To state there is a current downward trend in our overall performance is factual but unnecessarily alarmist as we are talking about the square root of very little overall in current performance, AND there are 32 league matches yet to play.

As for your statement that “all this indicates there are things going on behind closed doors we are not party too (that's to, by the way) when it comes to the playing staff.” Why does it do that?

As far as I can see your final sentence is about the only sensible thing you've said, even though it's perfectly obvious, but I fail to see its connection to your original blurb about Flynn's excuses.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:Initial poster
Greetings
Madness
Welcome to the board.
Flynny’s hands can’t be tied that tightly- he re-signed Labadie today.
Nobody, but nobody, is under any illusions about our financial position. We are Newport County ffs, go figure!

Alan G Bryant wrote:
lowandhard wrote:By the way I agree about the lack of a commercial manager
We had a whole commercial department in the 80's by the way, and our own ground.

It would be nice if someone could tell us what league 2 clubs currently have wads of cash sitting in the bank though, I cannot think of any.
Here we go again. I do not understand that attitude at all. So lots of L2 clubs apparently don't have wads of cash sitting in a bank. Let's be like them eh? If they all decided to take bank loans of £10 million, should we all follow them as well?

Why can't we just aspire to be the club that does have wads of cash? We have just been informed that the Trust funded Labs return. Brilliant. Money can be found. I am not an expert and unfortunately I seem to have run out of ideas on how the club can generate cash. I don't have the nous. I will never be a Commercial Manager. However, this week we have been shown that it can be done.

Unless the facts dictate otherwise and your experience tells you how things are, and how they will probably always be, we should stop having a defeatist attitude. It has been shown that there is a way to generate money, lets tap into that.

Alan G Bryant wrote:
We had a whole commercial department in the 80's by the way, and our own ground.

It would be nice if someone could tell us what league 2 clubs currently have wads of cash sitting in the bank though, I cannot think of any.
You employ a commercial manager to make money for you. That's the idea. So if a commercial manager generates £10 of extra sales, if you pay the minimum wage they are not good value. They cost you £14,000 per annum. However if they generate £100,000 of income and you pay them £50,000 pa then they contribute £50,000 to club coffers.

That you fail to grasp that simple law of economics is regrettable. That those running Newport County fail to grasp it, is very regrettable.

It's a bit daft from what I can tell. Stacks of unused advertising space at the ground, empty hospitality boxes, and the match sponsors/ball sponsors almost always appear to be companies of Directors.

Sponsorship apparently (so I am told) doubled in cost this season. So it appears to me that the mindset is - half the sponsors, double the cost = less work for us and the same monetary receipt. A dangerous game to play.

It's funny how the role of the commercial manager becomes a talking point when actually all the relevant foundations for commercial success (please note that means at League 2/National League criteria, not UEFA Champions league!) are actually there at RP.
What isn't there is the breathing space that someone new to the role would need to lay out a NEW strategy and tactics based upon resources.
Let's be fair....it would only be a few months in before someone on this forum shouted 'WHAT THE HELL IS THE COMM MANAGER DOING!!!
I sent a resume only one year ago before I returned from working in Asia as a Regional Commercial & Distribution Director. I was responsible for the growth in commercial relationships for a business worth £130m. My previous role in the UK was as National Head of Sales for a business worth £60m.
I volunteered my time 'free' for three months to see if I could identify and develop a strategy the club could use, and then hand over to a recruited full time comm manager.

Still awaiting a reply.

by the way...YES...the club needs a full time commercial manager. It cannot develop the playing side to League 1 and beyond without one. It's foolhardy to try. But like with Flynn's role...as soon as someone sees a chink they'll dive in to criticise, and I for one couldn't be bothered with that hassle. Life's too short.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Alan G Bryant wrote:

You employ a commercial manager to make money for you. That's the idea. So if a commercial manager generates £10 of extra sales, if you pay the minimum wage they are not good value. They cost you £14,000 per annum. However if they generate £100,000 of income and you pay them £50,000 pa then they contribute £50,000 to club coffers.

That you fail to grasp that simple law of economics is regrettable. That those running Newport County fail to grasp it, is very regrettable.

I am not asking for you or anyone to educate me on the benefits of a having a commercial manager. I am merely highlighting what happened in the 80's when we had not only a commercial department but owned our own ground. The fact you cannot grasp this is regrettable.

girl saturday wrote:
AmberRundgren. wrote:
I volunteered my time 'free' for three months to see if I could identify and develop a strategy the club could use, and then hand over to a recruited full time comm manager.

Still awaiting a reply.
Ditto: So did I (different field) with same outcome.
Reading stuff like this is really concerning, and does nothing to appease the nay-sayers like me who don't want trust ownership. We are being offered professional help FOR FREE from people who are qualified in the field, and we can't even be arsed to respond? That's abolutely pathetic.

rncfc wrote:
girl saturday wrote:
AmberRundgren. wrote:

Still awaiting a reply.
Ditto: So did I (different field) with same outcome.
Reading stuff like this is really concerning, and does nothing to appease the nay-sayers like me who don't want trust ownership. We are being offered professional help FOR FREE from people who are qualified in the field, and we can't even be arsed to respond? That's abolutely pathetic.
Totally agree, we are surely not in a position to refuse free help. What on earth are the board thinking?