Re: Grandstand: Bury (Away)

I was at the game this evening.

In deference to someone who said about the County after the 4-1 defeat at Crawley that "normal service had been resumed" being said in a disparaging way, tonight's performance was "normal service has been resumed". Bury are a good side - particularly going forward.

Definitely backs to the wall first half. I saw Cooper play against us when we won 4-0 at Forest Green last season and thought he's only getting a game because he's the manager's son.... I hope his loan period ends in January because the lad offered nothing.

Fair play to Flynn for making such a positive early change in the 2nd half. Dropping Amond into the midfield and playing Matt and Semenyo wider worked well. Podge is a footballer and tonight showed his versatility. We were much better 2nd half.

I don't like to knock Robbie but he was largely ineffective for me and for the few minutes that Pring was on he looked pretty useful.

Excellent effort by the defence and big Joe. We were at the other end of the pitch but the one save looked a cracker.

As ever Pipe sets the tone for the team and the fans - we didn't have many there but we made a decent noise.

So for me, with limited options, that was a very good point.

Wonder who came up with the idea of back to back away fixtures, and then allocating us Crawley and Bury. Got back to Newport at 2:45am. Motorway/ring road closures around Manchester, then the M50 closed, at to cap it all, the M4 from Almondsbury to the bridge. Nightmare journey.
Last edited by excessbee on October 24th, 2018, 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

excessbee wrote:Wonder who came up with the idea of back to back away fixtures, and the allocating us Crawley and Bury. Got back to Newport at 2:45am. Motorway/ring road closures around Manchester, then the M50 closed, at to cap it all, the M4 from Almondsbury to the bridge. Nightmare journey.
Respect to you for making the journey

Dave John wrote:I was at the game this evening.

In deference to someone who said about the County after the 4-1 defeat at Crawley that "normal service had been resumed" being said in a disparaging way, tonight's performance was "normal service has been resumed". Bury are a good side - particularly going forward.

Definitely backs to the wall first half. I saw Cooper play against us when we won 4-0 at Forest Green last season and thought he's only getting a game because he's the manager's son.... I hope his loan period ends in January because the lad offered nothing.

Fair play to Flynn for making such a positive early change in the 2nd half. Dropping Amond into the midfield and playing Matt and Semenyo wider worked well. Podge is a footballer and tonight showed his versatility. We were much better 2nd half.

I don't like to knock Robbie but he was largely ineffective for me and for the few minutes that Pring was on he looked pretty useful.

Excellent effort by the defence and big Joe. We were at the other end of the pitch but the one save looked a cracker.

As ever Pipe sets the tone for the team and the fans - we didn't have many there but we made a decent noise.

So for me, with limited options, that was a very good point.
Guilty as charged to that comment :? Agree that was a very good point indeed last night by the way.
What I was thinking when I wrote that criticism was that we are unused to be high-fliers in this league so are not normally looking at the top but looking at the trap door. I felt we were on the crest of a slump , let’s hope I’m very wrong.

Hey lowandhard no worries.

I think we are all surprised at the position we are in and I was more than happy with the point last night.

I do feel that on the pitch we have a good squad playing with 100% commitment for a good football management set-up.

I'm not close to the off field situation but clearly hear the concerns expressed on this message board.

For now I'll just enjoy the run that we are on - I would like to think that somehow more fans could be attracted to Rodney Parade in order to make the financial position more secure.

girl saturday wrote:Great point, a steal. we had about 5% of the game.
We were truly awful for almost all of the game.
I've never slated a player here before and seen some bad performances but how does cooper claim a wage as a professional footballer?
But your analysis has to be tempered by the context of the team MF was able to select. The midfield is at the moment woefully short-handed and getting to fifty minutes and still being just one down was maybe a sign that Bury weren't that great either. Good for the referee in not buying their defenders' tactics of falling in a heap and looking for free kicks, number 4 especially. It was really a sign that he couldn't cope with Semenyo. Put Franks, Dolan and Bakinson back into the reckoning and then we have totally different options from the way we were forced to play yesterday.

Dave John wrote:Hey lowandhard no worries.

I think we are all surprised at the position we are in and I was more than happy with the point last night.

I do feel that on the pitch we have a good squad playing with 100% commitment for a good football management set-up.

I'm not close to the off field situation but clearly hear the concerns expressed on this message board.

For now I'll just enjoy the run that we are on - I would like to think that somehow more fans could be attracted to Rodney Parade in order to make the financial position more secure.
Yes I think they are giving Flynny their best, it’s just we’re a bit threadbare once injuries and suspensions kick in.
Re our problems off the field, the bald truth is that despite claims to the contrary many of us don’t feel that we are getting anywhere near the full story. As an example we still don’t know why the arrangements for ticketing and the shop and offices fell through this summer. It’s just my opinion but I reckon the setup at RP is such that the WRU need us there as much as the Dragons, so we ought to start talking to them properly with a view to a proper partnership, if necessary being willing to commit to a financial buy-in raising the cash any which way we can. If we feel part of it , we may act like it.
The way I see it, we have to work together to get the Newport public off their @rses, out of the pub and into Rodney Parade for both codes, support in this area is absolutely abysmal for whatever reasons.

I've never slated a player here before and seen some bad performances but how does cooper claim a wage as a professional footballer?

If I had posted this or a certain 'other player' was the subject of the discussion this board would have gone into meltdown by certain posters. :roll:
So your questioning MF's selection of signing certain players and it goes unchallenged ???
#doublestandards

this is the reason why myself and many others are rarely posting on here.

Don't worry , abuse away , I wont reply to it.

neilcork68 wrote:

If I had posted this or a certain 'other player' was the subject of the discussion this board would have gone into meltdown by certain posters. :roll:
So your questioning MF's selection of signing certain players and it goes unchallenged ???
#doublestandards

I enjoy reading everybody’s opinion, even those I disagree with. Let’s face it, those who criticise you for your opinion on here either don’t understand the concept of a football forum or are in some other fashion spectacularly thick :grin: Good to see you both posting again by the way. :cheers:

excessbee wrote:
But your analysis has to be tempered by the context of the team MF was able to select. The midfield is at the moment woefully short-handed and getting to fifty minutes and still being just one down was maybe a sign that Bury weren't that great either. Good for the referee in not buying their defenders' tactics of falling in a heap and looking for free kicks, number 4 especially. It was really a sign that he couldn't cope with Semenyo. Put Franks, Dolan and Bakinson back into the reckoning and then we have totally different options from the way we were forced to play yesterday.
Good analysis. I went on Betfair looking for some easy money knowing the team and our lack of midfield and Bury's tendency to run at teams (and Maynard being better than League Two), saw the odds and stuck a tenner on County more out of hope than expectation - they took us apart and we made Mayor look like Messi, but we were resilient at the back and a point was a fantastic result. If we can keep picking up points when we're battling the rigours of the season then maybe overall we can stay above our rivals when they have their own problems with injuries and suspension?

As for Cooper, yeah, he needs to do more than he has to challenge for a place in even a weakened midfield. He's been utterly ineffective every time I've seen him since pre-season at Hereford.

girl saturday wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:

#doublestandards

Aww, I hope you'll be okay.
Basically she's telling you to grow a pair Neil

daftasfxxx wrote:Very different opinion than what i read on the Bury forum, most were very complementary about us, one said we were basically opposite end of the scale to Notts County being well drilled and closing them down and one even wrote we were the best side they've played at home so far this season
I'd agree we were at the other end of the scale to Notts County regarding organisation, other end of the table too. Sat on the sofa taking in my fourth iFollow Live match of the season (none of which I'd have gone to) there were still numerous occasions where Mayor in particular was free to run in a ton of space in front of the defence - it was a tribute to the defenders, and failing that Joe Day, that we managed to keep the goals to a minimum, other teams would have crumpled, but as it turned out, they only scored from Mickey getting sold high up the pitch in a 1 on 1, and the other defenders not being close enough to get near Maynard before he finished.

In addition, we seem to have a specific weakness when we defend deep which Bury didn't attempt to exploit. I won't specify it here, it won't help anyone but the opposition.