100% support, where from here?

We all love this club and as this post on the Bury grandstand thread mentioned we are having a good ride this season but we need to think to the future

Re: Grandstand: Bury (Away)
Postby lowandhard » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:31 pm

Dave John wrote:
Hey lowandhard no worries.

I think we are all surprised at the position we are in and I was more than happy with the point last night.

I do feel that on the pitch we have a good squad playing with 100% commitment for a good football management set-up.

I'm not close to the off field situation but clearly hear the concerns expressed on this message board.

For now I'll just enjoy the run that we are on - I would like to think that somehow more fans could be attracted to Rodney Parade in order to make the financial position more secure.

Yes I think they are giving Flynny their best, it’s just we’re a bit threadbare once injuries and suspensions kick in.
Re our problems off the field, the bald truth is that despite claims to the contrary many of us don’t feel that we are getting anywhere near the full story. As an example we still don’t know why the arrangements for ticketing and the shop and offices fell through this summer. It’s just my opinion but I reckon the setup at RP is such that the WRU need us there as much as the Dragons, so we ought to start talking to them properly with a view to a proper partnership, if necessary being willing to commit to a financial buy-in raising the cash any which way we can. If we feel part of it , we may act like it.
The way I see it, we have to work together to get the Newport public off their @rses, out of the pub and into Rodney Parade for both codes, support in this area is absolutely abysmal for whatever reasons.

Re: 100% support, where from here?

lowandhard wrote:We all love this club and as this post on the Bury grandstand thread mentioned we are having a good ride this season but we need to think to the future

Dave John wrote:

I think we are all surprised at the position we are in and I was more than happy with the point last night.

I do feel that on the pitch we have a good squad playing with 100% commitment for a good football management set-up.

I'm not close to the off field situation but clearly hear the concerns expressed on this message board.

For now I'll just enjoy the run that we are on - I would like to think that somehow more fans could be attracted to Rodney Parade in order to make the financial position more secure.

Yes I think they are giving Flynny their best, it’s just we’re a bit threadbare once injuries and suspensions kick in.
Re our problems off the field, the bald truth is that despite claims to the contrary many of us don’t feel that we are getting anywhere near the full story. As an example we still don’t know why the arrangements for ticketing and the shop and offices fell through this summer. It’s just my opinion but I reckon the setup at RP is such that the WRU need us there as much as the Dragons, so we ought to start talking to them properly with a view to a proper partnership, if necessary being willing to commit to a financial buy-in raising the cash any which way we can. If we feel part of it , we may act like it.
The way I see it, we have to work together to get the Newport public off their @rses, out of the pub and into Rodney Parade for both codes, support in this area is absolutely abysmal for whatever reasons.

Yes agree 100 percent. We need to be looking at ways of buying into Rodney Parade.

The Newport wrote:
lowandhard wrote:We all love this club and as this post on the Bury grandstand thread mentioned we are having a good ride this season but we need to think to the future

Dave John wrote:

Yes agree 100 percent. We need to be looking at ways of buying into Rodney Parade.
Like what ??? You've just posted another thread questioning someone like Rob Sant ??
He was the one saying we all need to move forward TOGETHER to help progression
He obviously came against obstacles
What would you do differently , Owls ???

Dave John wrote:

It works both ways though , for years we have heard about plans for RP, but what are the WRU or the Dragons plans? I have read about hotels , offices and leisure but as things stand it all seems like a pipe dream.
There has been nothing definitive that I am aware of.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:Yes, I was expecting to hear about the dragon's proposals re. development of 'cabbage patch' by now
Yes, it was reported in May that the Dragons were planning on regenerating the cabbage patch, although I am not sure how they can regenerate a facility they do not own. They were also going to talk to the relevant key stakeholders the council etc, over the next couple of months about what those plans look like in detail. That was nearly 6 months ago and the football and rugby supporters of Newport have heard nothing.

All they have done is put a bar in the old gym, a dragon on the roof of the changing rooms, and probably asked us to contribute.

Alan G Bryant wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:Yes, I was expecting to hear about the dragon's proposals re. development of 'cabbage patch' by now
Yes, it was reported in May that the Dragons were planning on regenerating the cabbage patch, although I am not sure how they can regenerate a facility they do not own. They were also going to talk to the relevant key stakeholders the council etc, over the next couple of months about what those plans look like in detail. That was nearly 6 months ago and the football and rugby supporters of Newport have heard nothing.

All they have done is put a bar in the old gym, a dragon on the roof of the changing rooms, and probably asked us to contribute.
OK, i'll bite. Aren't all the refurbishments etc. done by the WRU, on behalf of the Dragons? That means that any regeneration of the 'cabbage patch' would be a WRU run initiative?

Willthiswork wrote:
Alan G Bryant wrote:

OK, i'll bite. Aren't all the refurbishments etc. done by the WRU, on behalf of the Dragons? That means that any regeneration of the 'cabbage patch' would be a WRU run initiative?

I have no idea , all I know is that 18 months ago the WRU bought Rodney Parade, 6 months ago the Dragons chairman annnounced plans were in place to regenerate the stadium and in all that time we have had a gym that is now a bar, a tent that is still a tent and a dragon on the roof of the changing rooms whilst hearing of no concrete plans to regenerate.

Unless or until we have an interest in Rodney Parade, as opposed to a license to play there, comment on what if anything should be done to develop the stadium is futile.

We are six years into a ten year license. Perhaps unbeknown to us negotiations are taking place. However the ticket office situation doesn't fill me with confidence.

I hope I'm wrong.

Exile 1976 wrote: Also, we could be paying toward something and still be kicked out in 5 years!!
If that happens, where do we go?

I understand why many people don't want to contemplate that question. Just read Alan Bryant's posts. But the best time to sort out the stadium problem was 25 years ago. We didn't.

Next best time? Now. Please let's not leave it and hope something turns up.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:Unless or until we have an interest in Rodney Parade, as opposed to a license to play there, comment on what if anything should be done to develop the stadium is futile.

We are six years into a ten year license. Perhaps unbeknown to us negotiations are taking place. However the ticket office situation doesn't fill me with confidence.

I hope I'm wrong.
Perhaps you are right in your doubts, I certainly was disappointed by events or rather non-events between the parties in the close season. I believe we should be attempting to raise interest in the enterprise in any way we can to gain an interest in proceedings. I suppose only those with the finances and interest need apply though if we can raise a quarter of a million in a couple of weeks from us local paupers to save the club, it would be interesting what a proper business proposition would produce.

Exile 1976 wrote:We don't want the WRU to do any expensive renovations a it costs us money every time they do so, regardless if we benefit from it. Also, we could be paying toward something and still be kicked out in 5 years!!

I get that, but they bought the Dragons and RP 18 months ago and despite pledging to improve facilities and the Dragons, they have done neither. I just think it would be nice if the powers that be at WRU and the Dragons would signify their intentions. It is the least Newport RFC and Newport County deserve.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote: Also, we could be paying toward something and still be kicked out in 5 years!!
If that happens, where do we go?

I understand why many people don't want to contemplate that question. Just read Alan Bryant's posts. But the best time to sort out the stadium problem was 25 years ago. We didn't.

Next best time? Now. Please let's not leave it and hope something turns up.

Where do we go? Back to non league, that's where. Have to get a deal to stay longer at Rodders NOW or hope the Board has a shiny new stadium ready to be built in the next couple of years...

Exile 1976 wrote: Where do we go? Back to non league, that's where. Have to get a deal to stay longer at Rodders NOW or hope the Board has a shiny new stadium ready to be built in the next couple of years...
Why "back to non-League"? Do you mean because Spytty isn't suitable for League football or because you don't think we can sustain the income to stay in the league without our own stadium (which we're somehow managing to do at the moment). I mean if any club has the experience of ground sharing it's County.