Re: New Commercial Manager

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:Genuinely surprised Brendan hasn’t commented on this thread as he’s been very vocal on our lack of a commercial manager over the last couple of months.

Anyhow, welcome aboard Alex
Always pleased when our board act on my instructions. 8)

Out of interest do you know if the post was advertised?
Not one of my last 4 jobs were advertised, 2 were referrals and 2 were via headhunters. Graham Westley!

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:Genuinely surprised Brendan hasn’t commented on this thread as he’s been very vocal on our lack of a commercial manager over the last couple of months.

I don’t think it was this time tbh with you but it was last time and we somehow ended up with an awful comm manager. Not saying it’s right but hopefully this appointment works

Exile 1976 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

I don’t think it was this time tbh with you but it was last time and we somehow ended up with an awful comm manager. Not saying it’s right but hopefully this appointment works
You can interview and have a disaster, you can appoint and it be successful. However I believe that this job should have been advertised.

It was advertised just over a year ago , maybe they had his details on file , maybe they approached him or maybe he approached the club.

Personally, I am not particularly bothered as to how he got appointed as he looks a good appointment on paper, saying that, so did Westley and that was advertised. Mike Flynn's appointment was not advertised. Go figure

Alan G Bryant wrote:It was advertised just over a year ago , maybe they had his details on file , maybe they approached him or maybe he approached the club.

Personally, I am not particularly bothered as to how he got appointed as he looks a good appointment on paper, saying that, so did Westley and that was advertised. Mike Flynn's appointment was not advertised. Go figure
Whenever an argument needs to be qualified by maybe, the argument is flawed.

Now you say that the job was advertised a year ago and maybe they had his details on file. Let us assume you are correct, then he lost out to Ms Hemming. Hardly an unqualified endorsement is it.

My view is that all administrative jobs should be openly contested. That removes the possibility of nepotism. It also removes the possibility of the allegation of nepotism.

Unfounded or not, allegations are sometimes made. And if you can't refute them then true or not they stick.

Putting on my wig and gown, if I were trying to undermine Newport County as an equal op's employer.

Since the club reformed 30 years ago how many directors have Newport County had?

Since the club reformed 30 years ago how many administrative staff have the club employed?

How many black and ethnic minority directors have Newport County had in the last 30 years?

How many black and ethnic minority administrative staff have Newport County employed in the last 30 years?

And you appoint rather than interview these staff?

For the record I don't believe our club are deliberately discriminatory in their employment practise. However it doesn't look good does it.

Go figure.

Morning Brendan. Just have to say - sometimes, you are quite naughty on this board. You are enjoying this little spat. I feel that it is only fair that I point out that it is my understanding that you are a Barrister who has a speciality in employment law. Wherever and whenever this applies to the County it gives added spice to you. You bloody love it! :grin: Naughty.

I was going to put a 'maybe' before the 'has a speciality' then of course as you point out my argument would have been flawed. (Maybe).