Re: Grandstand v Morecambe

wattsville_boy wrote:I found it a bit strange that when Bennett (who was playing in midfield) went off
a) neither of the two midfielders on the bench were chosen to replace him, and
b) Tyler Forbes was moved to right wing (where Willmott had been functioning okay) instead of putting Forbes at full back and playing Pipe in central midfield where he would have at least displayed some "steel" and the set-up of the team would have been least affected.
From that moment on Willmott largely disappeared from the game and the midfield became over-run.

Both injuries were not unexpected. Bennett has played 18 of the 19 games so far this season (only Butler has played more) and O'Brien not played for 4 weeks. Bennett's injury could be the result of being over-played and O'Brien's almost certainly the result of being rushed back due to the red card Franks picked up v Crawley. I really can't see why Flynn didn't have Foulston on the bench as insurance against the losing of Centre backs. It was really quite bizarre to see County playing the second half with a back three of Demetriou, Pipe and Butler, though I have no criticism of their efforts.

Poor game which County should have been out of sight by half-time. When they weren't you could sense that Ellison would come on and score. He didn't disappoint. The County Manager and some of his players did.

I may be wrong but I thought Forbes played wing back when he came on in the first half with a back 3 of Pipe/O'Brien/Demetriou and in the second after O'Brien went off we played a back 4 of Forbes/Pipe/Demetriou/Butler

Appreciate we are missing a few now, but I really didn't think we made best use of our resources yesterday.

I like Willmott on the wing, but I don't like him in the middle - especially when Sheehan and Marsh-Brown are on the bench. I also think it's a bit daft spending decent money on a top striker for this level and then dropping him back into midfield at the first opportunity. If I were Amond yesterday I would have been a bit miffed at being dropped into midfield and then seeing a striker come onto the pitch (Harris) whilst I remained in midfield witht two midfielders on the bench.

Don't want to sound too OTT, but that was another 2 points dropped at home because we had too many playing out of position when it wasn't needed in my view.

It’s difficult to criticise MF when he has got so much right during his time in charge, but his preoccupation with Willmott is starting to hurt us. On the bench today were Sheehan, Cooper & KMB. Pipey was already on the pitch. Yet he moves RW from wide right to CM. Anyone with half a brain knows RW is not a central midfielder, for one thing he’s never made a tackle in his life. Hats or Lennie need to have a word quickly.

George Street-Bridge wrote:Morecambe were poor and we should have beaten them, but at least we didn't lose when in many earlier seasons we would have. Their keeper made a couple of great saves, one from Matt's header would have given us a 2-0 lead very early on and we'd have strolled it.

Credit to Amond for getting stuck in in midfield, he is such a competitor.
Given to the best of my knowledge we have 4 fit strikers, but several injuries in central midfield, is it feasible to select amond there from the start? At least we know he won't lack for effort or commitment; a accusation levelled at another.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:Morecambe were poor and we should have beaten them, but at least we didn't lose when in many earlier seasons we would have. Their keeper made a couple of great saves, one from Matt's header would have given us a 2-0 lead very early on and we'd have strolled it.

Credit to Amond for getting stuck in in midfield, he is such a competitor.
Given to the best of my knowledge we have 4 fit strikers, but several injuries in central midfield, is it feasible to select amond there from the start? At least we know he won't lack for effort or commitment; a accusation levelled at another.
If that happens we may as well release Sheehan, Marsh-Brown and Cooper now and just save the wages.

Amond is a striker, and a bloody good one, he should be the last person dropping back into midfield. And that's no slight on the shift he put in at all which was excellent as always.

Dogger wrote:It’s difficult to criticise MF when he has got so much right during his time in charge..............
Something I have a real difficulty with. Nobody is above criticism. Now whether your criticism is well founded or not I can't comment. But you are entitled to your opinion, and to express your opinion.

One of the aspects which I think has damaged our club is that some people are held to be above criticism. When they get it wrong nobody dares say so. This is compounded by those who can't or deliberately won't distinguish between abuse and criticism.

I am not sure of the extent of Sheehans problems but,he was still the obvious replacement for Bennett.His confidence must be shot now.First of all he is subbed before half time against Cambridge,Tyreeq goes off against Stevenage and Pipe comes on pushing Forbes further forward instead of him.Robbie was in his best position out wide yesterday,but gets switched with Forbes again in a unfamiliar role.Finally Podge is preferred in CM to Sheehan.If he is not going to play now then he never will with Tyreeq due back soon,then Labs and even Crofts might get fit.

neilcork68 wrote:Girl Saturday , where is your post asking about how 'Wimlott is stealing a living as a professional footballer ?'' after his last three performances as you did about Cooper ??????

Or doesn't it apply to ' Robbie ? ' because of the 'love in ' some seem to have with him ????
Willmott actually looked good in the first twenty minutes,why,because he played where he is best out wide.For some reason,MF thinks he can play CM,RB,LB etc,even his biggest fan,Harps,said he is not suited to CM.Remember Leeds,play him out wide attacking and he is a decent player.

Percy plunkett wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:Girl Saturday , where is your post asking about how 'Wimlott is stealing a living as a professional footballer ?'' after his last three performances as you did about Cooper ??????

Or doesn't it apply to ' Robbie ? ' because of the 'love in ' some seem to have with him ????
Willmott actually looked good in the first twenty minutes,why,because he played where he is best out wide.For some reason,MF thinks he can play CM,RB,LB etc,even his biggest fan,Harps,said he is not suited to CM.Remember Leeds,play him out wide attacking and he is a decent player.
After a bright opening spell, I thought both Wilmott and Dolan were dreadful, our midfield was deserted most of the time. As for their goal, was our fullback the only one in the ground not to know about Ellison? Everybody but everybody predicted Ellison would score, what a time to fall over. If they’d have had him on from the start they’d easily have nicked all the points.