Re: Wales rugby matches

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:Play the football on its scheduled day and be damned!
Let them that want to go to watch rugby go, those who want to watch football come to the County.
I've asked this question before on here, but what exactly HAPPENS at Rodney Parade on a Wales international rugby day, to the extent that they have to postpone a 4th Div football game?
We have a game of a DIFFERENT sport, in a DIFFERENT city and we're chopping and changing fixtures.

What are the issues exactly?
Is it bar sales at Rodney Parade?
Is police availability for both events?
Is it us wanting to please everyone? (How many County fans would go to rugby? How many of those would be ST holders whose money we've already had anyway? - serious question cos I don't know - so how much ticket revenue would be lost, against the lost ticket revenue in moving the fixture to a date some County fans can't make)
Do they use the Rodney Parade facilities for rugby fans to watch on the TV instead of travelling 14 mins on the train to be AT the game itself? - if THIS is the case, then Newport people really DO have priority issues!

So tell me, what exactly goes on at Rodney Parade, when an international rugby match is taking place 15 miles away?...
I suppose that people can read your structured argument, read my converse point of view and make up their own minds as to who they agree with.

And that is how this board should be. I have to say that your idea that we shouldn't care about what others do but concentrate on what we do has a merit which I had not considered.
Indeed, people will have their own views.... but the CEO comes to me at the EFL and asks if we can move a fixture because of a different sport, in a different city. I ask him, "what are the issues and grounds for wanting to move the fixture?"...... what does the CEO say to me as a reason for the request?..

newgroundrodney wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:Play the football on its scheduled day and be damned!
Let them that want to go to watch rugby go, those who want to watch football come to the County.
I've asked this question before on here, but what exactly HAPPENS at Rodney Parade on a Wales international rugby day, to the extent that they have to postpone a 4th Div football game?
We have a game of a DIFFERENT sport, in a DIFFERENT city and we're chopping and changing fixtures.

What are the issues exactly?
Is it bar sales at Rodney Parade?
Is police availability for both events?
Is it us wanting to please everyone? (How many County fans would go to rugby? How many of those would be ST holders whose money we've already had anyway? - serious question cos I don't know - so how much ticket revenue would be lost, against the lost ticket revenue in moving the fixture to a date some County fans can't make)
Do they use the Rodney Parade facilities for rugby fans to watch on the TV instead of travelling 14 mins on the train to be AT the game itself? - if THIS is the case, then Newport people really DO have priority issues!

So tell me, what exactly goes on at Rodney Parade, when an international rugby match is taking place 15 miles away?...
I suppose that people can read your structured argument, read my converse point of view and make up their own minds as to who they agree with.

And that is how this board should be. I have to say that your idea that we shouldn't care about what others do but concentrate on what we do has a merit which I had not considered.
Indeed, people will have their own views.... but the CEO comes to me at the EFL and asks if we can move a fixture because of a different sport, in a different city. I ask him, "what are the issues and grounds for wanting to move the fixture?"...... what does the CEO say to me as a reason for the request?..
Absolutely. I see your argument. It makes a very good point which I had not considered. Whilst I have not changed my mind I am less sure of being right than I was.

Correct me if I'm wrong but in effect you are developing the old Don Revie dossier point. That being his Leeds teams would have been more successful had they concentrated on what they could do rather than concentrate on what others could do to them.

@ STAN:
I have no knowledge of the Don Revie element you highlight, but put simply, unless it's an AVAILABILITY of police issue, I'd be telling Newport County to do one. "Ahh, but it'll cost a fortune in extra policing, and our Landlords want to do a bit of hospitality and promotional work at our ground", say NCAFC...... "None of that is a matter for the EFL" says me.... "Get your kit on and play"

newgroundrodney wrote:@ STAN:
I have no knowledge of the Don Revie element you highlight, but put simply, unless it's an AVAILABILITY of police issue, I'd be telling Newport County to do one. "Ahh, but it'll cost a fortune in extra policing, and our Landlords want to do a bit of hospitality and promotional work at our ground", say NCAFC...... "None of that is a matter for the EFL" says me.... "Get your kit on and play"
The story goes that in the 1960/70's Don Revie, being a perfectionist, had detailed dossiers made of opposition teams. Strong points, weak points, styles of play, you name it.

Leeds were a great team. YouTube their game v Southampton. But they actually won very little for just how good they were. The argument is made that Leeds would have been better employed letting others worry about them.

If you look at their record they had a habit of losing the really big games.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
The story goes that in the 1960/70's Don Revie, being a perfectionist, had detailed dossiers made of opposition teams. Strong points, weak points, styles of play, you name it.

Leeds were a great team. YouTube their game v Southampton. But they actually won very little for just how good they were. The argument is made that Leeds would have been better employed letting others worry about them.

If you look at their record they had a habit of losing the really big games.
...all over my head I think Brendan! :grin:
I'm waiting for someone to come out with the old chestnut: "being cooperative with our landlords will help us forge links and build bridges".....
As I said, for me, it would only be a policing issue that would warrant (no pun intended) a swap.

Saturday 6th October both Notts County and Nottingham Forest played away from home. The reason for this is to avoid a clash with the Nottingham Goose Fair
Saturday 11th August Shrewsbury Town were away from home to avoid a clash with the Shrewsbury Flower Show.
These are annual features in those clubs' requests put to the EFL in March of each year.
Even though the rugby is in a different city, I'd say we can certainly request it if we consider it desirable but not all requests are granted.

Didn't Forest have a game switched this season because of cricket at Trent Bridge? Reading are always away on August bank holiday weekend because of the music festival.

There's always a load of horse-trading as the fixtures are drafted (hence some years early drafts getting leaked) and I'd be amazed if we don't make our preferences known as an annual routine. I mean, why wouldn't we? Or any club?

I'm pretty sure that a few years ago a full analysis was done of County games that clashed with Wales Rugby matches over the past few years (not necessarily in Cardiff too) and it was proved that we lost a huge amount of attendees which ultimately meant revenue.
Think this was the case with Wales football that for a while were scheduled on Saturday nights.
Didn't we start playing games on a Friday night when Wales rugby was on to avoid this? Pretty sure our attendances held up too.
At the end of the day it has to be the correct financial decision whether we clash with the rugby or not. If we lose a significant number of people to watching the rugby then we need an alternative - either request away games or play Friday nights.

bignbeefy wrote:I'm pretty sure that a few years ago a full analysis was done of County games that clashed with Wales Rugby matches over the past few years (not necessarily in Cardiff too) and it was proved that we lost a huge amount of attendees which ultimately meant revenue.
Think this was the case with Wales football that for a while were scheduled on Saturday nights.
Didn't we start playing games on a Friday night when Wales rugby was on to avoid this? Pretty sure our attendances held up too.
At the end of the day it has to be the correct financial decision whether we clash with the rugby or not. If we lose a significant number of people to watching the rugby then we need an alternative - either request away games or play Friday nights.
Serious question, cos I don't know, but currently the average number of County fans at home games is 3037.....if County were home today, on the same day Wales play Scotland, how many County fans would turn up?..... higher or lower than 3037, and if lower, how MANY lower?...

newgroundrodney wrote:
bignbeefy wrote:I'm pretty sure that a few years ago a full analysis was done of County games that clashed with Wales Rugby matches over the past few years (not necessarily in Cardiff too) and it was proved that we lost a huge amount of attendees which ultimately meant revenue.
Serious question, cos I don't know, but currently the average number of County fans at home games is 3037.....if County were home today, on the same day Wales play Scotland, how many County fans would turn up?..... higher or lower than 3037, and if lower, how MANY lower?...
That’s a good question. I’ll be at the international today but if the County had been home I’d have been at our game. County, my club first, that’s easy. My only exception would be a family occasion.

lowandhard wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:
That’s a good question. I’ll be at the international today but if the County had been home I’d have been at our game. County, my club first, that’s easy. My only exception would be a family occasion.
....and of course, the obvious question, out of however many fans are "missing", how many would be missing JUST because of the rugby, and no other reason? Because County's home support fluctuates wildly anyway.

newgroundrodney wrote:
Good question. My take - even if the County were home today I couldn't be there unfortunately. However, I have an exiles dilemma. What do I do at 3pm?

The Wales game starts on BBC at 2.45, Jeff Stelling is on Sky Saturday at 3pm. County Grandstand will be on the website as well. I can't watch all three. Mrs P will go ballistic if I keep flicking over from the Wales game.

Then, we have the Arsy boys against the Scousers at 5.30. Just thinking - bloody hell, life is tough on a Saturday sometimes when you are a sports fan. :cheers: