Re: Injuries

Interesting article.

I don't suggest that there is only reason or that our policy is wrong. However my wife who before becoming a solicitor was a nurse says that whilst for the normal person ligament, muscle etc are fully recovered from, at the top level of athletic performance, very often this is not the case.

By way of anecdote how often have we heard the expression that after a bad injury so and so 'was never quite the same again'? Developing this how often have we read on this board words to the effect of when he gets fully fit so and so could be a really great signing.

As I say please don't think I believe this is the only cause or that it is a criticism of the signing of certain players. But it may be a partial explanation as to why we seem to have a disproportionately high amount of injuries.

Another reason may be that as Flynn seems not to have confidence in younger home produced players our squad is older and therefore more injury prone. And also via the same cause players might be being brought back from injury too quickly.

Perhaps also bad luck. And perhaps our injury list is no higher than that of other teams. We notice and consider ourselves unlucky when injuries mean an under strength County, we don't notice or consider ourseourselves lucky when we play under strength opposition.

The one thing we do know, thanks to David Pipe is that County don't do excuses. :grin:

Re: Injuries

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Interesting article.

I don't suggest that there is only reason or that our policy is wrong. However my wife who before becoming a solicitor was a nurse says that whilst for the normal person ligament, muscle etc are fully recovered from, at the top level of athletic performance, very often this is not the case.

By way of anecdote how often have we heard the expression that after a bad injury so and so 'was never quite the same again'? Developing this how often have we read on this board words to the effect of when he gets fully fit so and so could be a really great signing.

As I say please don't think I believe this is the only cause or that it is a criticism of the signing of certain players. But it may be a partial explanation as to why we seem to have a disproportionately high amount of injuries.

Another reason may be that as Flynn seems not to have confidence in younger home produced players our squad is older and therefore more injury prone. And also via the same cause players might be being brought back from injury too quickly.

Perhaps also bad luck. And perhaps our injury list is no higher than that of other teams. We notice and consider ourselves unlucky when injuries mean an under strength County, we don't notice or consider ourseourselves lucky when we play under strength opposition.

The one thing we do know, thanks to David Pipe is that County don't do excuses. :grin:
Ha!, all good points. I remember an Italian barman at a club I was once a member of, using the following reasoning to explain the resilience of women as opposed to men with regard to the cold virus. “ The woman , she like the Morris 1000, she get some dirt in the carburettor she keep going. The man, he like a Lamborghini, a speck of dust in there and he no go “. Perhaps professional footballers are like the man and us mere mortals like the woman in that analogy as regards injuries.