Re: Ok now I AM angry.....

Yes that’s a fair point excessbee. Good spot.
I guess I deserve that, but in my defence I will say that by dig I meant at the others in the chat group as opposed to ‘the club’ which by its nature is up for questioning as its the subject of our discussion.
But I absolutely take the point. Sword....live... die etc.

Sensible solution incoming...

In Newport there are various work based learning providers (ITEC, ACT & Rathbone). These providers work with 16-18 years olds and aim to get them work experience and associated qualifications in a number of employment sectors (Retail, Hospitality, Hair & Beauty).

It may be an idea for the club (if they haven't already) to approach these provisions and offer the shop as retail experience - maybe as an added perk we can throw in some free tickets. The club do not pay anything as the 16-18 year olds are gaining £30-50 a week for being on the provision, paid by WAG.

For reference here is ITEC's website. http://www.itecskills.co.uk/about-us/what-we-do?lang=en

bishbashbosh wrote:Sensible solution incoming...

In Newport there are various work based learning providers (ITEC, ACT & Rathbone). These providers work with 16-18 years olds and aim to get them work experience and associated qualifications in a number of employment sectors (Retail, Hospitality, Hair & Beauty).

It may be an idea for the club (if they haven't already) to approach these provisions and offer the shop as retail experience - maybe as an added perk we can throw in some free tickets. The club do not pay anything as the 16-18 year olds are gaining £30-50 a week for being on the provision, paid by WAG.

For reference here is ITEC's website. http://www.itecskills.co.uk/about-us/what-we-do?lang=en
Blimey..dont come on here offering sensible idea's !! ;-)

penycwm county wrote:

Blimey..dont come on here offering sensible idea's !! ;-)
You never get reasoned comment or solutions on this board. AND THAT'S THE WAY IT SHOULD BE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously a good idea. I hope that is what we do.

Can I just add to the above. When we start debating issues and thinking about what is said and not trying to score points sometimes really good ideas come up.

We know officials at County read this board. I really hope our club act in this and acknowledge the contribution made by Bishbash'.

Good staff in any position come up and act on good ideas. Great staff are great because they realize that other people also have good ideas which they can act on.

I really do not see the problem here. It is a good idea to potentially maximise income for the club over what should be a peak trading period.
If County are to survive them it will need volunteers, I would be more concerned if they were paying people to staff the shop and taking the risk on income v cost when under a supporter ownership model there should be volunteers available..

AmberRundgren. wrote:Still angry. Volunteers!
At Xmas!
Absolutely bl**dy disgraceful.
In the week we appoint a commercial manager! If he’s made this his first ‘commercial strategy’ he should be ashamed of himself.
If we cannot pay someone the barest respect by paying them a minimum wage to pull a working shift, then I really am not sure I want to be part of this trust. This has really angered me.

Last week My mate received a letter from a lady with two pound coins sellotaped inside with an apology for stealing a loaf of bread from his shop the week earlier because she had nothing in the house to eat. That’s where we are in this, our 21st century city.

If you want me to carry on paying my trust money, and indeed my gate money you’ll act like the employer and business you should be.

I ask all my fellow supporters to make a stand here and reject the clubs attempt to save pennies at the expense of a working man or woman at this time.

AR
Your friend should be ashamed of themselves charging £2.00 for a loaf of Bread. Maybe if they wasn't so expensive they wouldn't have People in their shop stealing food. In a local shop in my area (country) They have a sign saying don't steal the food if you can't afford to buy it. We are also here to help those who are in need. We don't judge. They also donate food that are close to their sell by Date to the local food bank. I have actually seen them on a number of times giving food to people who they know that are unemployed and finding it difficult.

Here's an idea for your friend who has a local shop why not have a ECO CHARITY COLLECTION DONATION MONEY TIN / POT / BOX (which is Made In Britain From Recycled Milk and Juice Cartons) where customers can donate their change to help those who need that little bit extra help.

Then they will find that the local community will want to go to the local shop and spend their money. And will want to help them raise money for people in need. After all they might need help one day themselves. That is how we help our local community. We are there for each other.

I myself help them raise money by having a garage sale (In your country I think you call it a car boot sale).

Flynn wanted to sign Labadie and a group of supporters banded together to donate half of his wages which was fund matched by the board
perhaps it would be an idea for those who would like to see the new club shop recruit paid to organise something similar and approach the board with there donation

xisle wrote:Flynn wanted to sign Labadie and a group of supporters banded together to donate half of his wages which was fund matched by the board
perhaps it would be an idea for those who would like to see the new club shop recruit paid to organise something similar and approach the board with there donation
What a good idea. Well let's start with how many people work in the store are volunteers and how many get paid?

Can I also be cheeky and ask how much it cost to rent and run the store?
Last edited by The Newport on November 1st, 2018, 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Great idea. Is the club shop a permanent thing? I thought it was only temporary. If it's not then it would not be productive to 'employ' these youth as they wouldn't be able to see their programme through.

There are those who argue that employing volunteers to work in shops is exploitation. I can see that argument. There are those who believe that County should save as much expenditure as possible. I can see that argument. For what it's worth I came down slightly in favour of the former argument.

Then along comes Bishbashbosh with a solution which in my view saves County money, is non exploitative and means our club can serve our community. I read his post and it changed my mind

It seems to me that the position is rather is now that continuing to argue the initial point is rather like two people in front of a DVD store arguing the merits of betamax v VHS.

Of course if someone can come up with streaming movie content, (to continue the audio visual analogy) I am open to changing my mind again. Until then Bishbashbosh's post nailed it for me.