Crofts

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

allontheamber

Posts

206

Crofts

Postby allontheamber » November 2nd, 2018, 10:26 am

Am I missing something here. Crofts is quoted in the Argus as saying "the last two years especially I’ve been pretty much 100 per cent available and I’ve played a lot of games".
As far a I can see he played 4 games for Scunthorpe last season and has started only 3 for us.
It will be good to have him available for us but is he a "talk the talk" rather than a "walk the walk" player (allowing of course for his bad blister).
no avatar
User

DPT

Posts

969

Re: Crofts

Postby DPT » November 2nd, 2018, 10:57 am

Also he has been a couple weeks off returning for weeks now.
User avatar
User

Amberexile

Posts

5694

Location

Sheffield

Re: Crofts

Postby Amberexile » November 2nd, 2018, 12:12 pm

Perhaps he was talking about 2016/17 when he payed 51 times for Charlton in all competitions.
no avatar
User

Special branch

Posts

88

Re: Crofts

Postby Special branch » November 2nd, 2018, 5:04 pm

Though my Dad took me to County matches when I was 'kneehigh to a grasshopper' the first game which I remember avidly was the 3-2 win over Sheffield Wednesday when Hunt and Bonson brought us back from 0-1 at Half Time.The team was pretty much the same throughout the season :
Weare
Bird Rathbone Walters
Rowland Hill
Webster Sheffield Bonson Hunt Smith
There were occasional changes with Frowen, Williams and possibly three otthers but they just 'got on with it'. Some of the tackles were grim. What I am saying is we need players to be fit and responsive and not take us for a ride.
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Posts

5601

Location

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Re: Crofts

Postby pembsexile » November 2nd, 2018, 5:11 pm

Was one of the three others Graham Reynolds?
no avatar
User

Special branch

Posts

88

Re: Crofts

Postby Special branch » November 2nd, 2018, 5:18 pm

No. Graham, whom I taught with for 8 years played one year later
User avatar
User

Amberexile

Posts

5694

Location

Sheffield

Re: Crofts

Postby Amberexile » November 2nd, 2018, 6:34 pm

Special branch wrote:Though my Dad took me to County matches when I was 'kneehigh to a grasshopper' the first game which I remember avidly was the 3-2 win over Sheffield Wednesday when Hunt and Bonson brought us back from 0-1 at Half Time.The team was pretty much the same throughout the season :
Weare
Bird Rathbone Walters
Rowland Hill
Webster Sheffield Bonson Hunt Smith
There were occasional changes with Frowen, Williams and possibly three otthers but they just 'got on with it'. Some of the tackles were grim. What I am saying is we need players to be fit and responsive and not take us for a ride.


Just getting on with it just about crippled a lot of players in later life but he pendulum does seem to have swung a long way in the opposite direction today.
no avatar
User

Special branch

Posts

88

Re: Crofts

Postby Special branch » November 2nd, 2018, 6:47 pm

Yes you are right: I'm just brassed off with one or two issues as I'm sure a lot of us are. I haven't forgotten the Jeff Astle scenario with heading etc. I ncidentally I saw his last game for Notts County. before WBA signed him. Our Laurie Sheffield (still alive) scored a hat trick in our 3-1 win.
User avatar
User

Amberexile

Posts

5694

Location

Sheffield

Re: Crofts

Postby Amberexile » November 2nd, 2018, 7:09 pm

One hell of a player and a very sad outcome
no avatar
User

allontheamber

Posts

206

Re: Crofts

Postby allontheamber » November 2nd, 2018, 7:19 pm

Devastating that heading a ball resulted in dementia but in Crofts case its a blister that lead to a long term Achilles injury.
Nobody would ever have dared question Jeff Astle's commitment.
no avatar
User

Blackandamber

Posts

1681

Location

Cwmbran

Re: Crofts

Postby Blackandamber » November 2nd, 2018, 8:03 pm

Special branch wrote:Though my Dad took me to County matches when I was 'kneehigh to a grasshopper' the first game which I remember avidly was the 3-2 win over Sheffield Wednesday when Hunt and Bonson brought us back from 0-1 at Half Time.The team was pretty much the same throughout the season :
Weare
Bird Rathbone Walters
Rowland Hill
Webster Sheffield Bonson Hunt Smith
There were occasional changes with Frowen, Williams and possibly three otthers but they just 'got on with it'. Some of the tackles were grim. What I am saying is we need players to be fit and responsive and not take us for a ride.


Great memories. The only game which my Dad attended with me. We twice came from a goal down. Having equalised we then went 1-2 down. Two crosses in the last 5 minutes I believe led to our 2nd and 3rd goals. The last time we beat a first division / top tier team. 4th January 1964.
User avatar
User

SJG99

Posts

1596

Location

The End of the Hedge

Re: Crofts

Postby SJG99 » November 6th, 2018, 12:16 am

Amberexile wrote:Just getting on with it just about crippled a lot of players in later life but he pendulum does seem to have swung a long way in the opposite direction today.


I've got no idea what County have in terms of medical facilities, but with regular blood tests and health benchmarking, a lot of the top clubs nowadays know when a player is ill before they do. I suspect we're not quite at such a detailed level of sports science.

You also don't have to be a well-paid pro to knacker your body playing sport. :?
User avatar
User

lowandhard

Posts

7997

Location

Peoples Republic of Malpas

Re: Crofts

Postby lowandhard » November 6th, 2018, 12:26 am

SJG99 wrote:
Amberexile wrote:Just getting on with it just about crippled a lot of players in later life but he pendulum does seem to have swung a long way in the opposite direction today.


I've got no idea what County have in terms of medical facilities, but with regular blood tests and health benchmarking, a lot of the top clubs nowadays know when a player is ill before they do. I suspect we're not quite at such a detailed level of sports science.

You also don't have to be a well-paid pro to knacker your body playing sport. :?


Ain’t that the truth, we’ve all got damage from our playing days I suspect ( in my case left hip and a knackered left hand/wrist from a bad landing after a clash of heads ) , with most of us though who support the County , many suspect we must have incurred a fair amount of damage to our central nervous systems. :grin:
no avatar
User

Micheal

Posts

82

Re: Crofts

Postby Micheal » November 6th, 2018, 7:22 pm

lowandhard wrote:
SJG99 wrote:
Amberexile wrote:Just getting on with it just about crippled a lot of players in later life but he pendulum does seem to have swung a long way in the opposite direction today.


I've got no idea what County have in terms of medical facilities, but with regular blood tests and health benchmarking, a lot of the top clubs nowadays know when a player is ill before they do. I suspect we're not quite at such a detailed level of sports science.

You also don't have to be a well-paid pro to knacker your body playing sport. :?


Ain’t that the truth, we’ve all got damage from our playing days I suspect ( in my case left hip and a knackered left hand/wrist from a bad landing after a clash of heads ) , with most of us though who support the County , many suspect we must have incurred a fair amount of damage to our central nervous systems. :grin:

i too have a knackered hand/wrist nothing to do with sport tho :grin:
User avatar
User

Mr Figo

Posts

711

Re: Crofts

Postby Mr Figo » November 6th, 2018, 7:45 pm

Hip replacement for me - needed one since I was 40.
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SJG99 and 21 guests

Powered by phpBB ®