European Super league

Newport County natter & football chatter.
User avatar
User

penycwm county

Posts

1900

Location

Pembrokeshire

Re: European Super league

Postby penycwm county » November 4th, 2018, 9:01 pm

Like real-world politics, the big -rich countries (clubs) make an uneasy alliance to maintain their privileges.
Been listening to this since the early '00s. Sounds like a bluff.
Anyway, it would mean a severe attack to UEFA and the end of the Champions League prestige.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Posts

10035

Re: European Super league

Postby Stan A. Einstein » November 4th, 2018, 10:03 pm

penycwm county wrote:Like real-world politics, the big -rich countries (clubs) make an uneasy alliance to maintain their privileges.
Been listening to this since the early '00s. Sounds like a bluff.
Anyway, it would mean a severe attack to UEFA and the end of the Champions League prestige.


I wouldn't be so sure. If you look at American Football it is a franchise. I would bet that Wembley will see team in the NFL before too much longer. A twenty team European super league makes sense. Russian oligarchs, Yankee money men and Saudi Princes would have a money spinners product.

It would be disastrous for us mind. Not because it would change much but because it would take away the dream.
User avatar
User

Amberexile

Posts

5694

Location

Sheffield

Re: European Super league

Postby Amberexile » November 4th, 2018, 10:42 pm

Jaguars playing at White Hart Lane would be my NFL guess
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Posts

5600

Location

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Re: European Super league

Postby pembsexile » November 5th, 2018, 7:24 am

The London Royals will be playing in the NFL in a London stadium within two years I reckon.
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Posts

5600

Location

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Re: European Super league

Postby pembsexile » November 5th, 2018, 7:31 am

penycwm county wrote:Like real-world politics, the big -rich countries (clubs) make an uneasy alliance to maintain their privileges.
Been listening to this since the early '00s. Sounds like a bluff.
Anyway, it would mean a severe attack to UEFA and the end of the Champions League prestige.


The end of the current Champions League scenario would be irrelevant if they could play Chamionship league every week. Replace one money spinning model with a bigger one. Money 'screams'.

Interpol could have a field day investigating money laundering with that one.
User avatar
User

Elmo

Posts

398

Location

Swansea

Re: European Super league

Postby Elmo » November 5th, 2018, 2:10 pm

Let them go and take the plastic prawn sandwich brigade with them! Leave real football teams and real fans to get on with it!
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Posts

10035

Re: European Super league

Postby Stan A. Einstein » November 5th, 2018, 2:14 pm

Elmo wrote:Let them go and take the plastic prawn sandwich brigade with them! Leave real football teams and real fans to get on with it!


I agree. But it does end the dream. Stood forty years ago watching County beating Bournemouth 3-0 I suppose those dreams of playing at the top level would have seemed pretty remote to the Bournemouth fans. But dreams there were.

It's going to happen and you're right. But not all change is for the best.
User avatar
User

Marky

Posts

2801

Location

Mazeglaas

Re: European Super league

Postby Marky » November 5th, 2018, 2:52 pm

Kicking them out of domestic cups will hurt lower league clubs more than anyone.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Posts

10035

Re: European Super league

Postby Stan A. Einstein » November 5th, 2018, 3:04 pm

Marky wrote:Kicking them out of domestic cups will hurt lower league clubs more than anyone.


It will. But to a very large extent the FA, Cup is already treated as a second rate competition and the League cup little more than a run out for squad players.

My second game was a 1967 league cup tie with Second Division Blackpool. Over 13,000 in the crowd. I doubt we'd get 4,000 for that tie today.
User avatar
User

penycwm county

Posts

1900

Location

Pembrokeshire

Re: European Super league

Postby penycwm county » November 5th, 2018, 6:16 pm

The fans should challenge the five English clubs reported to be involved to properly consult their own supporters. We think those fans will reject the idea but there is only one way to find out - ask them.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Posts

10035

Re: European Super league

Postby Stan A. Einstein » November 5th, 2018, 6:40 pm

penycwm county wrote:The fans should challenge the five English clubs reported to be involved to properly consult their own supporters. We think those fans will reject the idea but there is only one way to find out - ask them.


I have no doubt that the fans of these clubs will be against the idea.

I have no doubt either that the owners of these clubs will not give a toss.
no avatar
User

Taunton Iron Cider

Posts

1931

Location

Taunton

Re: European Super league

Postby Taunton Iron Cider » November 5th, 2018, 6:45 pm

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
penycwm county wrote:The fans should challenge the five English clubs reported to be involved to properly consult their own supporters. We think those fans will reject the idea but there is only one way to find out - ask them.


I have no doubt that the fans of these clubs will be against the idea.

I have no doubt either that the owners of these clubs will not give a toss.


If supporters were to organise a boycott of the companies behind the sponsorship deal to support this new league, the money would soon dry up.
User avatar
User

Amberexile

Posts

5694

Location

Sheffield

Re: European Super league

Postby Amberexile » November 5th, 2018, 6:57 pm

Which supporters should they ask? Season ticket holders? Those in the UK? All fans worldwide? There might be different answers from different groups.
no avatar
User

Cornish Exile

Posts

4324

Re: European Super league

Postby Cornish Exile » November 5th, 2018, 8:37 pm

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Elmo wrote:Let them go and take the plastic prawn sandwich brigade with them! Leave real football teams and real fans to get on with it!


I agree. But it does end the dream. Stood forty years ago watching County beating Bournemouth 3-0 I suppose those dreams of playing at the top level would have seemed pretty remote to the Bournemouth fans. But dreams there were.

It's going to happen and you're right. But not all change is for the best.



At about the same time,we were watching County play Southampton on a regular basis in Div 3 South.
User avatar
User

penycwm county

Posts

1900

Location

Pembrokeshire

Re: European Super league

Postby penycwm county » November 5th, 2018, 9:43 pm

Amberexile wrote:Which supporters should they ask? Season ticket holders? Those in the UK? All fans worldwide? There might be different answers from different groups.


the armchair supporters will be all for it .
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

Powered by phpBB ®