The helicopter tragedy at LEICESTER CITY....

I wondered why there's been no mention of it on this board. I would hope that messageboarders, like me, are saddened by the loss of Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha, and wish comfort upon those affected.
He seemed to be everyone's ideal football chairman, with a community spirit too. People often criticise foreign owners, but many prove such an asset to a club.
Today Leicester play away at Cardiff City, which will allow the players to do what they do best. I know that Cardiff were prepared to accommodate whatever the EPL & Leicester City considered was the best way forward, but football goes on. I'm sure there'll be some pre-match tribute and appreciation of Mr Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha's life, and I'm certain that the Cardiff City supporters will observe this respectfully.
At this sad time, I can only imagine the pain of all connected with Leicester City FC.
His son will take over, the legacy will continue, and the sun will shine over the King Power Stadium again. The football will see them through.

Re: The helicopter tragedy at LEICESTER CITY....

Last Saturday 2,300 people, give or take, died in the UK. All of them, well virtually all of them, will have been loved, and for those who loved them grief will be very raw.

We grieve our own and whilst we can empathize with the loss of others we do not, should not and can not share that grief.

I have to say that I find a hierarchy of death unseemly and the media attention maudlin bordering on the obscene.
Last edited by Stan A. Einstein on November 3rd, 2018, 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:Last Saturday 2,300 people, give or take, died in the UK. All of them, well virtually all of them, will have been loved, and for those who loved them grief will be very raw.

We grieve our own and whilst we can empathize with the loss of others we do not, should not and can not share their grief.

I have to say that I find a hierarchy of death unseemly and the media attention maudlin bordering on the obscene.
Quite so

Stan A. Einstein wrote:Last Saturday 2,300 people, give or take, died in the UK. All of them, well virtually all of them, will have been loved, and for those who loved them grief will be very raw.

We grieve our own and whilst we can empathize with the loss of others we do not, should not and can not share their grief.

...I don't disagree with you on the fact that many other people will have died too. My point is that on a football messageboard, nobody had mentioned it. We hear reports of deaths on this messageboard frequently, and I just wondered that with such a lot of media coverage (rightly or wrongly) that it hadn't been mentioned on here. I just found it rather strange that's all.

I see your point Brendan but I have to disagree. The man was in the public eye. He did an enormous amount of work for Leicester and the people are paying their respects.

However, as you allude to, his death is no more or less important than any other. I get that bit. There is an element of grief that is personal. That will take place with his family and close friends.

Think on this - imagine a much loved long term County stalwart passed away (I won't mention names for obvious reasons), you can bet that the County faithful would pay their respects publicly and rightly so. The media attention at the moment that you mention is just a magnification of what we would be doing as he has a much higher profile.

pembsexile wrote:

I see your point Brendan but I have to disagree. The man was in the public eye. He did an enormous amount of work for Leicester and the people are paying their respects.

However, as you allude to, his death is no more or less important than any other. I get that bit. There is an element of grief that is personal. That will take place with his family and close friends.

Think on this - imagine a much loved long term County stalwart passed away (I won't mention names for obvious reasons), you can bet that the County faithful would pay their respects publicly and rightly so. The media attention at the moment that you mention is just a magnification of what we would be doing as he has a much higher profile.
Morning Mike,

Radio Five live's Steven Nolan show gave three hours of coverage of the tragedy, with no other story. At one stage Nolan said 'I have to admit I had never heard of the man'.

Don't misunderstand his death was news worthy, I am sorry for him as I am for the untimely death of the fifty or so people who in the last week have died in car accidents in the UK.

To answer your question. When the great Len Were died the announcement before the game was met with a audible sigh. Rightly so. His passing was acknowledged and caused us to reflect.

We then played a game of football.

No, for me the reaction to this death was out of all proportion to it's significance on our lives. When I croke I suspect whilst a small number of people will be devastated, most people who know me will be a little sad, will reflect and then get on with their lives. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
pembsexile wrote:

Morning Mike,

Radio Five live's Steven Nolan show gave three hours of coverage of the tragedy, with no other story. At one stage Nolan said 'I have to admit I had never heard of the man'.

Don't misunderstand his death was news worthy, I am sorry for him as I am for the untimely death of the fifty or so people who in the last week have died in car accidents in the UK.

To answer your question. When the great Len Were died the announcement before the game was met with a audible sigh. Rightly so. His passing was acknowledged and caused us to reflect.

We then played a game of football.

No, for me the reaction to this death was out of all proportion to it's significance on our lives. When I croke I suspect whilst a small number of people will be devastated, most people who know me will be a little sad, will reflect and then get on with their lives. I wouldn't have it any other way.
Hi Brendan, I don't wish to comment on what Steve Nolan has said or done as it is out of my control. He didn't know the Leicester Chairman and I have never heard of him. Probably speaks volumes about me and my listening habits.

With regards to Len Weare, I may be wrong but I thought that there was some sort of rememberance as well as the notification at the game. I suspect that Len himself would have wanted the game to go ahead. Nobody has mentioned not getting on with football. That is exactly what Leicester are doing today.

It may be out of proportion to its significance on your life. However, it is certainly not out of proportion to the Leicester fans lives. Surely it was this fact that the media are reporting on. Rightly so. A lot has been made this week on this messageboard about listening to the viewpoints of others. Listening to both sides. Those viewpoints at the moment are dominated by Leicester City. They are being reported on.

We will have to agree to differ on this one.