Non-league strikers

Because I'm a bit of a loser, I sometimes take a look at the top scorers in the leagues below us to see if there are any strikers catching the eye. It always occurs to me that the difference between non-league and League Two is actually pretty small in terms of technical ability, it's just regular training and strength which make the difference for me.

With that being the case, if you can find someone who knows where the back of the net is, I think they're always worth a punt (see Conor Washington) even if they don't pay off (see Tom Meechan).

What do we think of this one?

Brandon Goodship of Weymouth - started at Bournemouth, now at Weymouth where he has 51 goals in 52 games and 12 already this season. Only 24 years of age.

Re: Non-league strikers

rncfc wrote:Because I'm a bit of a loser, I sometimes take a look at the top scorers in the leagues below us to see if there are any strikers catching the eye. It always occurs to me that the difference between non-league and League Two is actually pretty small in terms of technical ability, it's just regular training and strength which make the difference for me.

With that being the case, if you can find someone who knows where the back of the net is, I think they're always worth a punt (see Conor Washington) even if they don't pay off (see Tom Meechan).

Brandon Goodship of Weymouth - started at Bournemouth, now at Weymouth where he has 51 goals in 52 games and 12 already this season. Only 24 years of age.

He’s already played for, and been released by, Yeovil.
Great stats, but in that League Andy Sandell was top scorer 2 seasons ago.

Never seen him play so can’t comment other than the above and if he is any good, hopefully he’ll be on Flynn’s radar
Last edited by Exile 1976 on November 6th, 2018, 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Exile 1976 wrote:
rncfc wrote:Because I'm a bit of a loser, I sometimes take a look at the top scorers in the leagues below us to see if there are any strikers catching the eye. It always occurs to me that the difference between non-league and League Two is actually pretty small in terms of technical ability, it's just regular training and strength which make the difference for me.

Yep, I did see that. Jordan Green looked cack for us though and looked like Lionel Messi against us. Who knows, might be worth a gamble. These players only need to have a run of 4 or 5 games scoring goals in December and you can cash in - anyone remember Matt Green?! He was our super-sub for months, then scored about 8 goals in 4 games or something mental in December and was off to Cardiff.

rncfc wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:

Yep, I did see that. Jordan Green looked cack for us though and looked like Lionel Messi against us. Who knows, might be worth a gamble. These players only need to have a run of 4 or 5 games scoring goals in December and you can cash in - anyone remember Matt Green?! He was our super-sub for months, then scored about 8 goals in 4 games or something mental in December and was off to Cardiff.
Yes I remember that , not to dissimilar to Washington going on a scoring spree with Peterborough. They also cashed in, luckily for us.

Cornish Exile wrote:
rncfc wrote:
penycwm county wrote:Macauley Bonne 12 goals in 17 aps L/Orient (contracted til2020 though)
The only problem with that is he's probably on more money at Orient!

The other problem being Orient, near certainty for promotion, are unlikely to let him go.
Yep, that too! Justin Edinburgh working his magic down there.

There is a good kid at Barry that may well be worth keeping an eye on because I believe he has the potential to make it........

Touray

If anyone cares to check this forum from the past I mentioned two former players months before they made their first team debuts for us who were very good prospects we had that made us quite a lot of money .....( Evans and Poole )
That said , even now after his many moves though I am still shocked that Washington has gone on to better himself because apart from pace I didn't see anything in him. So even I cant get it right all the time :wink:
:lol:

neilcork68 wrote:There is a good kid at Barry that may well be worth keeping an eye on because I believe he has the potential to make it........

Touray

If anyone cares to check this forum from the past I mentioned two former players months before they made their first team debuts for us who were very good prospects we had that made us quite a lot of money .....( Evans and Poole )
That said , even now after his many moves though I am still shocked that Washington has gone on to better himself because apart from pace I didn't see anything in him. So even I cant get it right all the time :wink:
:lol:
Under our current manager no kid is likely to make it through because they are never risked in any remotely meaningful game. Under such circumstances running an Academy appears a terrible waste of money....