Bradley Stoke Town FC

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

Dogger

Sunny Spain

Re: Bradley Stoke Town FC

Postby Dogger » November 9th, 2018, 10:36 am

Dogger wrote:Didn’t Ian Cambridge play for Cambridge City? I remember an Alan Womble, but sadly I don’t think he ever played for Wimbledon.

Sorry make that Trevor Womble.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » November 9th, 2018, 12:09 pm

Although a misprint, County once were said to have had three goals scored by Sherlock, Holmes, Withers. As the Guardian reported at the time after eighty years of keeping bees the great detective had finally succumbed to old age.
no avatar
User

George Street-Bridge

Postby George Street-Bridge » November 9th, 2018, 1:19 pm

It rings a bell that there was a game when Steve Sherlock scored for County and there was a Holmes in the other team. Possibly Torquay.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » November 9th, 2018, 1:24 pm

George Street-Bridge wrote:It rings a bell that there was a game when Steve Sherlock scored for County and there was a Holmes in the other team. Possibly Torquay.

I think you're right. Sherlock and Withers scored for us in a 3-1win. My recollection was that Torquay were the opponents. I didn't know where the Holmes came from but if there was a Holmes in the Torquay team it would explain the confusion.
no avatar
User

excessbee

Postby excessbee » November 9th, 2018, 1:46 pm

I once saw Barry Butlin (Forest) v Keith Pontin (Cardiff)......... Holiday camps for those of us of a certain age.
User

UPTHEPORT

The Republic of Malpas

Postby UPTHEPORT » November 9th, 2018, 2:54 pm

I heard on Radio commentary few years back that the front two where Young and Bent :shock:
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » November 9th, 2018, 4:07 pm

UPTHEPORT wrote:I heard on Radio commentary few years back that the front two where Young and Bent :shock:

If you look up the name of the Youngboys of Switzerland's stadium and type that in with the name of the club, I would imagine that the police might have more than a passing interest.
no avatar
User

Corpaboy

Postby Corpaboy » November 9th, 2018, 5:02 pm

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:I heard on Radio commentary few years back that the front two where Young and Bent :shock:

If you look up the name of the Youngboys of Switzerland's stadium and type that in with the name of the club, I would imagine that the police might have more than a passing interest.

I've actually just done that !!!!! :grin: :shock:
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » November 9th, 2018, 5:05 pm

Corpaboy wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

I've actually just done that !!!!! :grin: :shock:

You no doubt understand my reluctance to type that into a computer? :shock:
User

ButchersDog

Postby ButchersDog » November 9th, 2018, 9:18 pm

Sadly no Carl Isle.
no avatar
User

George Street-Bridge

Postby George Street-Bridge » November 10th, 2018, 9:25 am

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:It rings a bell that there was a game when Steve Sherlock scored for County and there was a Holmes in the other team. Possibly Torquay.

I think you're right. Sherlock and Withers scored for us in a 3-1win. My recollection was that Torquay were the opponents. I didn't know where the Holmes came from but if there was a Holmes in the Torquay team it would explain the confusion.

Sadly, I found a list of Torquay players for that season (1987-88) and there isn't a Holmes. Hereford had a Kyle Holmes around that era, but not that season.

We need to look for a Baker, a Hudson and a Moriarty.
Previous