Joe Day

I know what some fans views are on here and even I admit he has had a decent season so far but the last two games he has been pretty poor.Time for a change ????
I have only seen the highlights of both his last two games and even though he kept a clean sheet away on Saturday he was pretty poor and that followed the Carlisle game where his two dreadful mistakes cost us the game.
I know Townsend will probably be in goal for Tuesday's game against Plymouth and if he does ok do you agree with me that he should maybe have his turn in goal rather than MF dropping him for the game on Saturday , as he probably will do ?
MF stated when he signed for the club that he wasn't bringing him in to be a 'back up ' to Day and he would be an ideal candidate to challenge him for the number one spot , so lets see if he means what he said pre season ???

Re: Joe Day

Joe Day's handling is not good. However the ball used in competitive football now is of a different variety than I grew up with fifty years ago. Whilst I am not as convinced as many that Joe Day is a brilliant 'keeper, neither is he dreadful.

The one thing I would say is that when highlights are shown they are far more likely to show goalkeeping errors rather than goalkeepers being mundanely competent. It is often said that errors made by goalkeepers are far more noticeable, seeing only highlights amplifies this.

As usual having not seen County this season I can't and don't comment on whether players should be in the starting X1 or not.

neilcork68 wrote:I have only seen the highlights of both his last two games and even though he kept a clean sheet away on Saturday he was pretty poor
How can you state he was pretty poor after only seeing the highlights? I was there, he had a good game in absolutely terrible conditions. Have you read the MoM thread? It's as ridiculous to criticise a player after watching only highlights as it would be vote for a Man of the Match.

excessbee wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:I have only seen the highlights of both his last two games and even though he kept a clean sheet away on Saturday he was pretty poor
How can you state he was pretty poor after only seeing the highlights? I was there, he had a good game in absolutely terrible conditions. Have you read the MoM thread? It's as ridiculous to criticise a player after watching only highlights as it would be vote for a Man of the Match.
Because he likes to be edgy?

excessbee wrote:
You make a fair point, see my post re judging goalkeepers. However speaking as an ex albeit very mediocre goalkeeper there is a legitimate debate here.

You see, whilst my handling was poor and my distribution terrible, far worse than anything Joe has ever been responsible for, and my ability to let in soft goals, as per Gary Sprake v Chelsea 1970 Cup final, was one, two and sometimes more a game was an established feature of my game, there was one aspect that sometimes beguiled. Every now and again I would make incredible out of this world saves.

Every goalkeeper can.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
excessbee wrote:
You make a fair point, see my post re judging goalkeepers. However speaking as an ex albeit very mediocre goalkeeper there is a legitimate debate here.

You see, whilst my handling was poor and my distribution terrible, far worse than anything Joe has ever been responsible for, and my ability to let in soft goals, as per Gary Sprake v Chelsea 1970 Cup final, was one, two and sometimes more a game was an established feature of my game, there was one aspect that sometimes beguiled. Every now and again I would make incredible out of this world saves.

Every goalkeeper can.
Not sure that legitimate debate would stretch to include Neil's 'he was pretty poor' comment, after only watching highlights. I think it's a debate he should have avoided.

excessbee wrote:
Not sure that legitimate debate would stretch to include Neil's 'he was pretty poor' comment, after only watching highlights. I think it's a debate he should have avoided.
I think on the substance, on this occasion, and remember I haven't seen Joe play this season, your argument is more persuasive than is Neil's. But that does not mean that there is not a legitimate debate.

Whilst I agree with your argument, we could, of course, both be wrong. :)

I never vote in these polls unless I watch the whole game and I think that in normal circumstances it’s a mistake to judge whether or not someone has played well just on the evidence of highlights though you could perhaps make an exception if a striker scored say a double hat-trick ! :lol:
As regards Joe Day, I think he is a decent “ servant to the club “ without being outstanding as a league goalkeeper. On Saturday he had a decent enough game and pulled off a couple of good saves as well as a few howlers but given the atrocious conditions perhaps he could be forgiven for those.
When most people shout “ great save “ , they should ask themselves if they would have expected a competent goalkeeper to normally make such a save, if so, it wasn’t “great” - just what he should be doing.
Imho, he’s a decent shot-stopper but mostly doesn’t control his goal area let alone his penalty area. Again , mostly he doesn’t “ come “ for through balls or crosses and if I was a defender , I wouldn’t particularly be confident in front of him. His distribution is also poor. Having comprehensively criticised the poor chap, there’s hardly a L2 ‘keeper that I’d swop him for, perhaps it’s just the way a lot of modern goalkeepers are ,or rather are not, coached. I’m going back a long way I know but having watched Len Weare perhaps it spoiled me for County goalkeepers, and the ‘keepers of that era had none of the aids and law changes to protect them that modern ones have. Just my opinion.

Have to say, not for the first time, that I agree with Lowandhard's summation of keepers and the 'great' IMO Len Weare. But in response to the question, no I don't believe that Day should be dropped given his performances to date. Of course if Townsend has a 'blinder' tomorrow and Day has a 'shocker' Saturday then yes of course a change may be in order.