Teams with NEGATIVE GOAL DIFFS... comparisons.

For a little while I've found it somewhat curious that we should be so high up the table, yet still have a negative goal difference. So I got to thinking, how do we compare with all other teams with negative GDs?

Here is a comparison of the top 4 leagues in England:

Premier League:
11 teams with a negative GD, with the average current placing being 15th (18th if the division had 24 teams)
Championship
12 teams with a negative GD, with the average current placing being 18th
League One
12 teams with a negative GD, with the average current placing being 18th
League Two
12 teams with a negative GD, with the average current placing being 17th

In the four top divisions in England, NEWPORT COUNTY ARE THE HIGHEST TEAM with a negative goal difference.
Hopefully,the away game at Cheltenham will go some way to restoring our GD.
On the other hand, if we lose, it may serve to show some people that our league placing isn't in fact genuine, and as I suspect, we are actually just riding our luck a bit.

Interestingly, in the 76 league games played so far under Mike Flynn, we have a negative GD of (-8)........ so Flynny has some way to go yet to be where he'd want to be.
Admittedly a couple of high losing margins are probably responsible for our GD overall, but we are now right on a GD knife edge as it were, in as much as, if we beat Cheltenham well, we'll find ourselves in a promotion slot with a posiitive GD, which will be a great position to be in.

I wonder what's the highest a team has ever finished with a negative GD?.....

Re: Teams with NEGATIVE GOAL DIFFS... comparisons.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:Come the end of the season the only relevance to a minus goal difference is if we finish on a level number of points with another(s).
Imagine the heartache if we lose out on a promotion/play off place because of it !
In our division, currently, the next lowest team with a negative GD is in 13th place..... that's why I would like to see us in the position of a +GD.....
Ideally, I'd like to see Flynny shake off his own -8 at some point this season too. If we have a good December, maybe, just maybe we can really start to believe. That bloody Yeovil game !