Re: If he goes?

George Street-Bridge wrote:What, clam up when asked?
Don't be silly. You say you are manager of Newport County and intend to remain so.

You do not say, that you haven't been approached, that one day you will be leaving, that you are flattered to be linked. Flynn is clearly putting himself forward as being ready for a move, and not just to Shrewsbury. I don't blame him. I do though feel it is our failure that Shrewsbury are perceived as too big a club for us to resist. When County seek a manager we don't seek those in work do we?

If Flynn were to go, Neil Ardley would be top of my list. His sides aren't always pretty to watch, but he's won promotion at this level with a club not much bigger than ours, plus he's used to working with a board at a fan-owned club and the associated complexities. Plus he's available, of course!

Goddard & woods wrote:If my memory is correct didn't Ashurst turn down the Sunderland job in the summer before the promotion/Welsh cup winning season?
Yes he did. And notwithstanding everything else he was later sacked. Saying 'That's football'.

He was right. But anyone disappointed by a manager such as Sheridan or Edinburgh jumping ship should remember this.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Goddard & woods wrote:If my memory is correct didn't Ashurst turn down the Sunderland job in the summer before the promotion/Welsh cup winning season?
Yes he did. And notwithstanding everything else he was later sacked. Saying 'That's football'.

He was right. But anyone disappointed by a manager such as Sheridan or Edinburgh jumping ship should remember this.
I remember at the time it was said that Len was no longer able to motivate the squad.

Colin Addison was brought in for his second spell, having previously "jumped ship" to join Ron Atkinson at West Brom.

It's when Wigan come calling we should be worried, other than that he won't be getting the Cardiff Job without higher experience.
At some point he will go if only to try himself further up the system, but won't be surprised if he returns again at some point years down the line as his heart is in Newport.

Agree Neil, Shews not quite big enough to tempt MF. Flynny knows he can get us to League 1, which effectively means mission accomplished for him plus a proven track record as a manager to add to his CV. At that point he can move on and most County fans will thank him and wish him well as he progresses as a Manager. :-)

Flynn has stated his ambition is to manage in the Premier League. Fine, the reality of the situation is that he will have to move on at some stage to achieve his goal. However, he has also stated that he wants to leave a legacy in Newport. The great escape will form a big part of his legacy and deservedly so, it was a fantastic achievement. Promotion would build on this legacy should it happen. However, the missing piece, should Flynn move on now, is the infrastructure that supports the club itself. If I recall correctly MF was retained by the club, prior to to becoming manager, in a role that focused on creating the facilities the club needed to progress - a training ground, the vision of our own stadium, cooperation of the local authorities etc. This is unfinished business and would leave any legacy incomplete.

Kevinmoorefellover wrote: - a training ground, the vision of our own stadium, cooperation of the local authorities etc. This is unfinished business and would leave any legacy incomplete.
That would be a dream situation for him but not in his remit.
His remit is to get players in who then go onto doing a good job on the field.

Agree with that. A football manager's horizon can't be set beyond the next nine months, with a possible rollover if the season has been relatively successful. Some these days get far less. Madness really but not likely to change in the future. Each season in each league, only about ten clubs will be deemed to have had a successful season. Derek Adams at Plymouth, in his fourth season, is something like the fifth longest serving manager. I think I read that.

Edit. First sentence to can't (rather than can). Whoops. :oops:
Last edited by excessbee on November 24th, 2018, 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.