Re: Edgar Street

I assume this estimate would be for a stadium that would be up to league standards. The cost for the redevelopment of Spytty, which would have much of the infrastructure already in place, should therefore be less.

It would still leave us with the cost of relocating the Harriers.

£10m is an absolute bargain for a new ground, if that's what is included in that estimate!

Not that we've got a spare £10m anyway, but nevertheless that cost seems very low for the construction of a completely new stadium. We'd want about 12,000 I think to prevent the place being incapable of supporting the kind of expansion the club could get from a promotion (or two) - including stuff like safe standing areas which can be used as seating when necessary. Polonia Warsaw's proposed new stadium and leisure facility holding 15,500 is 93 million Euros of which 35m is the stadium itself! http://stadiumdb.com/news/2018/11/warsa ... ia_stadium

As for Spytty, if it has to be there (and I'm no fan because the experience is SO much better near the city centre) apart from the benefit of the infrastructure like sewerage and electricity being on site, level the lot and build an actual community football stadium with decent facilities that has income streams that people want to use away from matchdays. And make sure there are plenty of ways people can get there!

The 'given' price structure for building a football stadium used to be £1m per 1,000 seats
It makes sense it should be less than that for Spytty as most of the structures are in place, just need upgrading/rebuilding.

Now the down side. We don't have a few million laying around, we don't have a rich benefactor with a few million to throw around and the Council aren't exactly our best buddies given our track record with them

County-at-the-races wrote:The 'given' price structure for building a football stadium used to be £1m per 1,000 seats
It makes sense it should be less than that for Spytty as most of the structures are in place, just need upgrading/rebuilding.

Now the down side. We don't have a few million laying around, we don't have a rich benefactor with a few million to throw around and the Council aren't exactly our best buddies given our track record with them
That's also without throwing the cost of materials post-Brexit into the mix.

SJG99 wrote:
County-at-the-races wrote:The 'given' price structure for building a football stadium used to be £1m per 1,000 seats

That's also without throwing the cost of materials post-Brexit into the mix.
You could always buy them from a country with a weaker currency - I hear Somalia has ben melting down a lot of metal in recent years. Being serious though, the futures markets are predicting a stronger pound in the months and years ahead; the damage has already been done to sterling, I can't see it getting considerably worse until Corbyn gets in.