Re: Form

I just don’t see us challenging for promotion. I’ve said we’ll finish around mid table and still stick with that. Flynny has increased our expectations and is getting a bit of stick now when we lose, especially to teams we’re ‘supposed to be beating’.

Exile 1976 wrote:I just don’t see us challenging for promotion. I’ve said we’ll finish around mid table and still stick with that. Flynny has increased our expectations and is getting a bit of stick now when we lose, especially to teams we’re ‘supposed to be beating’.
A quick look at the league 2 table show only 4 teams have scored more, suggesting a team challenging for promotion, but only 3 teams have conceeded more, suggesting a team in a relegation fight. Contradicting form to say the least. It suggests to me our defensive form will need to improve markedly if we are to have a realistic chance of challenging for promotion at the end of the season. I believe we need to decide on a defensive formation and stick to it, as we appear to be chopping and changing game by game? I would be interesting to hear what others think? Perhaps someone has stats to evidence what our defensive formations have been this season?
Last edited by OLDCROMWELLIAN on November 25th, 2018, 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Good Afternoon!

Forget form, forget goals scored and conceded, forget forecasting our finishing position.... please,,,,, please....
Just let us win on Tuesday night!

It’s costing me two days of my annual holiday, a B and B stay and goodness knows how much Christmas shopping allowance to bribe mrs_in_npton to make the trip!

Come on County... don’t let me down!

Phil in Northampton

Ps 4-0 would offset the bill a little bit!

phil_in_npton wrote:Good Afternoon!

Forget form, forget goals scored and conceded, forget forecasting our finishing position.... please,,,,, please....
Just let us win on Tuesday night!

It’s costing me two days of my annual holiday, a B and B stay and goodness knows how much Christmas shopping allowance to bribe mrs_in_npton to make the trip!

Come on County... don’t let me down!

Phil in Northampton

Ps 4-0 would offset the bill a little bit!

I approach Tuesday night's game very positively in view of the following fact:

"since Mike Flynn took over, of the 22 games we've lost, we have won or drawn the following match on 20 occasions" ... so hopefully we'll do it again against Northampton. A win will be great, but a draw is fine. It's not often we've lost 2 games back-to-back under Flynny. Just 2 occasions so far.

Exile 1976 wrote:I just don’t see us challenging for promotion. I’ve said we’ll finish around mid table and still stick with that. Flynny has increased our expectations and is getting a bit of stick now when we lose, especially to teams we’re ‘supposed to be beating’.
In fairness we are twenty games in and even Westley would probably avoid relegation from our present position. I remember watching our promotion season from Conference South. I was convinced until Christmas that we wouldn't go up, by the end of January it was obvious we couldn't be caught. There comes a point where preconceptions have to be challenged. Looking at the table, realizing that we are four months in there comes a point where you have to think that we are genuine contenders.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
In fairness we are twenty games in and even Westley would probably avoid relegation from our present position. I remember watching our promotion season from Conference South. I was convinced until Christmas that we wouldn't go up, by the end of January it was obvious we couldn't be caught. There comes a point where preconceptions have to be challenged. Looking at the table, realizing that we are four months in there comes a point where you have to think that we are genuine contenders.
Unless Flynn makes an absolute CRAZY decision and fecks off to the mighty Shrews

Why ????
We are serious promotion contenders , and he is a MESSIAH in County fans' eyes !

If he goes now , the disruption would be unbearable .
Shrewsbury won again tonight under Coyne ?
If they want a "up n coming" manager , give Danny the job I say !!! He's doing ok

Corpaboy wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Unless Flynn makes an absolute CRAZY decision and fecks off to the mighty Shrews

Why ????
We are serious promotion contenders , and he is a MESSIAH in County fans' eyes !

If he goes now , the disruption would be unbearable .
Shrewsbury won again tonight under Coyne ?
If they want a "up n coming" manager , give Danny the job I say !!! He's doing ok
Unfortunately, he's made it clear he doesn't want it permanently.

To put things into context, I think this is the best opportunity County will have to win promotion for many years. The standard in League 2 this season is really poor apart from MK Dongs, anyone can put a string of results together. Maintain the good form and maybe add a player in Jan and we could be in with a shout. Most sides hit a run of bad form or injuries each season and we've not done that yet.

What positions need improving though? Generally the defence has a bad mistake per game in them but not sure any of them need replacing. Good choice in midfield so I don't think we need to add there (can probably afford to release 1-2 midfielders maybe). Up front we've got 3 good strikers. For me, it's just Joe Day who is consistently inconsistent and needs pushing. Definitely need a reliable penalty taker though.

For a team with our limited resources this has been a great season so far. Just worried that a cup run will distract from that (as it did last year)