Re: EXILES GRANDSTAND V NORTHAMPTON TOWN

Great first half and professional second half.
Pitch very good considering the weather, atmosphere in the Hazell even better.

Thought 3-1 at HT slightly flattered us, but the referee was poor. Supporters jeered the lino for giving Northampton what was an obvious County throw-in but it was the ref who wrongly gave it to them, the lino was seemingly unable to make his own decisions and just followed the ref. Same lino missed an obvious offside decision and then a defender with his arms all over Podge.

Couldn’t fault any County player, they all did their jobs well. Day's kicking 1st half was good I thought but 2nd half it was poor, mainly because Northampton left their striker on the edge of the box to put him off. That said, the way Joe coped with that tricky 1st half backpass by chesting it down and passing out was superb.

Northampton were poor apart from forcing a few late corners, a better side would have punished our midfield who sat too deep in my view.
MOM a deserved Jamile Matt, won almost all the headers and also posed a threat on the flanks.

Dee

Sheehan was superb first half .
2 of the best goals I've seen so far this season tonight .
The first came from a fantastic cross field pass from Crofts , then a superb cross in (Butler I think ?) and a superb , placed finish from Sheehan .
Then an absolute GEM of a goal from Podge !
Bakinson's play in the lead up was sublime and what a finish !
Midfield looked good tonight . Crofts faded but that's understandable .
Matt was unplayable up front .
Pipe was Pipe .
Butler was on form as well .
Thought Joe Day wasn't in best form and looked hesitant a few times , but overall , a comfortable win as Northampton had **** all in front of goal when they did create chances .

Percy plunkett wrote:
bishbashbosh wrote:The Flynn bounce back ability effect takes hold once again. Sheehan played well tonight, crofts makes a difference, gave bakinson plenty of freedom to move forward and support front two. Is that our first choice midfield until labs is back?
Can't see Dolan being left out for Sheehan but great to see Josh do well and get 90 minutes.
Sshhh! Not that I give a f*ck but I was criticised for moaning that despite on paper that we have a good midfield, it never seems to turn out that way ( I do understand that Dolan is injured, as is Bennett who could play there, Labadie was reputed to be ready by now but doesn’t even make the bench , is he training even? How far away is he? ). Admittedly Croft improved things and first half we looked really good for a spell, but second half........
That game could have had almost any permutation of high scores, 3-3, 4-4, 4-3, 3-4 etc. Some good blocks, tackles and woeful finishing made that look decent but imho the highlights will be a lie. They had 3 excellent chances in the last 5-10 minutes when we surrendered the pitch right up until the edge of our box and even at times left nobody up at all. Surprise,surprise, the ball just kept coming back at us. Why, just why, do we do that?

Dogger wrote:As he was one of my favourite players, how did Sam Foley play? As he hasn’t been mentioned in 4 pages, I’m guessing he didn’t do a lot lol!
There little no 7 was a tricky, useful little player, thought Sam was pretty anonymous, their strikers were profligate I thought. Couldn’t see how they were top of the form table apart from early on or late in the game.

lowandhard wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:
bishbashbosh wrote:The Flynn bounce back ability effect takes hold once again. Sheehan played well tonight, crofts makes a difference, gave bakinson plenty of freedom to move forward and support front two. Is that our first choice midfield until labs is back?
Can't see Dolan being left out for Sheehan but great to see Josh do well and get 90 minutes.
Sshhh! Not that I give a f*ck but I was criticised for moaning that despite on paper that we have a good midfield, it never seems to turn out that way ( I do understand that Dolan is injured, as is Bennett who could play there, Labadie was reputed to be ready by now but doesn’t even make the bench , is he training even? How far away is he? ). Admittedly Croft improved things and first half we looked really good for a spell, but second half........
That game could have had almost any permutation of high scores, 3-3, 4-4, 4-3, 3-4 etc. Some good blocks, tackles and woeful finishing made that look decent but imho the highlights will be a lie. They had 3 excellent chances in the last 5-10 minutes when we surrendered the pitch right up until the edge of our box and even at times left nobody up at all. Surprise,surprise, the ball just kept coming back at us. Why, just why, do we do that?

Although you’re right Mike in that they had a few chances as we sat back last 10 mins but we also had a few chances second half too which could, and probably should, have put us out of site 5-1 before they even had those chances.
Matt’s blocked effort from 6 yards and Sheehan’s scuff when he had the whole goal to aim at.

Bloody good game though.