Re: So, is he staying?

lowandhard wrote:Well he’s certainly eased in the betting.
I note he has come in a point 9/2 from 11/2.

My view remains, although I am far from certain, is as follows. Whichever manager loses Saturday's Cup tie will be offered the job. Nolan is the back up. If he (Flynn) is offered the job, I think it's 50/50 as to whether he'd take it. My concern is not that he will leave but that if he remains then every time a League side sacks it's manager we will have to endure this palaver over and over again.

All jokes aside, Shrewsbury are on track to avoid relegation by 16 pts, so they don't NEED an unfinished manager, one who is still learning. What they need is a manager who can take them on to bigger things next season. That manager is not Mike Flynn. He still has much to learn, but that kind of move and bigger, will happen for him soon, when he has actually achieved something of note at Newport. He's not quite there yet. He has done well, but needs to build his reputation solidly first.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:

My view remains, although I am far from certain, is as follows. Whichever manager loses Saturday's Cup tie will be offered the job. Nolan is the back up. If he (Flynn) is offered the job, I think it's 50/50 as to whether he'd take it. My concern is not that he will leave but that if he remains then every time a League side sacks it's manager we will have to endure this palaver over and over again.
As will Wrexham or any team that is performing well. It begs the question that if you have transfer windows for players , then why not for managers.

There is something not right in the supposedly bigger clubs 'tapping up' managers 1/3 of the way through the season. It looks like the speculation has also derailed Wrexham.

George Street-Bridge wrote:But then what happens if it's a draw (my guess) with a replay still 10 days away and Shrewsbury just marking time?
Shrewsbury say according to the article that they are in no hurry to appoint. Which fits with my scenario. However I stress that my theory is whilst plausible, far from being the only explanation.

It may be that Flynn was not considered, it may be Flynn was never interested. It may be one party or the other was interested and subsequently lost interest. All I am saying is that if Shrewsbury were to appoint the losing manager from Saturday's tie, I wouldn't be overcome with surprise.

Alan G Bryant wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

As will Wrexham or any team that is performing well. It begs the question that if you have transfer windows for players , then why not for managers.
But Shrewsbury, population 74,000, shouldn't be a bigger club than Newport, population 145,000. I just don't see why you don't get that point.

Your second point of transfer windows for managers is not viable either. Under employment law you can't enforce a transfer window. All clubs can sign who they like when they like. The only power the Leagues have is they can prevent those players playing in matches. It would be impossible to stop managers managing. At a push I suppose you could keep managers out of the technical area but in an age of mobile phones I don't see that really working.

Alan G Bryant wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

There is something not right in the supposedly bigger clubs 'tapping up' managers 1/3 of the way through the season. It looks like the speculation has also derailed Wrexham.
Bit harsh to suggest that Shrewsbury were tapping up other managers. Their manager leaves, so the whole world knows that they will sooner or later appoint another. Then the betting community takes over and pretty soon the football forums. The feeding frenzy takes on a life of its own. Shrewsbury Town meanwhile get on with their business.

Alan G Bryant wrote: It begs the question that if you have transfer windows for players , then why not for managers.
The trouble is managers would then demand that they could only be sacked at a transfer window. Imagine if we had had to wait until the next window to sack Butcher or Feeney or Westley :?

Barnabas wrote:
Alan G Bryant wrote: It begs the question that if you have transfer windows for players , then why not for managers.
The trouble is managers would then demand that they could only be sacked at a transfer window. Imagine if we had had to wait until the next window to sack Butcher or Feeney or Westley :?
That is an extremely good point, discrete from mine, which had not occurred to me.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:

You may well be right with your last point Brendan. However, I would be a tad more concerned if Wigan, Bradford, Gillingham or Blackpool came sniffing. I hope none of those sides have a prolonged lean spell.

Barnabas wrote:

There are plenty of managers that have also benefitted from being given sufficient time. Alex Ferguson, Martin O'Neill at Leicester to name two.

pembsexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

You may well be right with your last point Brendan. However, I would be a tad more concerned if Wigan, Bradford, Gillingham or Blackpool came sniffing. I hope none of those sides have a prolonged lean spell.
Hi Mike,
I think our problem is that we should only expect to be out muscled by really big clubs. I can recall County teams playing and beating all the clubs you name. I see no reason why my club and my home town can't complete with the clubs you mention.

As it is we have failed to resist Gillingham, Oldham and Aldershot in the last decade.