DOSE OF REALITY - cheer up it might never happen

People sometimes call me an optomist when it comes to the County, I am not. What I am is a realist.

I get frustrated when people aren't enjoying this season when we are actually challenging for promotion, simply because historically we are factually usually fighting relegation or mid table mediocrity, which in our history is actually a success.

I would point us all to look at our track record (in the professional leagues) and you will see some sobering reading. We have actually been promoted twice in all our league history. Once to div 3 (79-80) and once to the old 2nd division (38-39) , TWICE !! (if any statto finds it's actually 3/4 etc my point still stands).

Yes maybe we SHOULD be doing better, and have better support, pop 135k etc etc, but the fact is we virtually never do.
We've been bankrupt, we've been exiled, we don't own our ground and we prob won't.

At the moment we are one off automatic promotion, and on the verge of going into next round of the cup (again rare for us).

It is this which makes me happy and I am optomistic this season, as I trust my eyes and the experience of the past couple of season, which have seen a manager build a promotion challenging team from near certain relegation on a show string, it is this reason that teams inc shreswbury sniff around mt flynn, as he's breaking an amazing historical record of doom, with out the dough.

I don't think he will go to Shreswbury, as we pay him well and it's not too near or too successful a club, but if he did, I would wish him well and be glad he was here. I think he will stay and hopefully take us up and go from there. But what I would like is for people to stop being so negative and bitchy and actually enjoy a great season, I for one will.

UTC (p.s the link to our record is below and I sugges the mods stick it at the top of board to keep us all real!).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_N ... C._seasons

Re: DOSE OF REALITY - cheer up it might never happen

The NCFC Hippy wrote:People sometimes call me an optomist when it comes to the County, I am not. What I am is a realist.

I get frustrated when people aren't enjoying this season when we are actually challenging for promotion, simply because historically we are factually usually fighting relegation or mid table mediocrity, which in our history is actually a success.

I would point us all to look at our track record (in the professional leagues) and you will see some sobering reading. We have actually been promoted twice in all our league history. Once to div 3 (79-80) and once to the old 2nd division (38-39) , TWICE !! (if any statto finds it's actually 3/4 etc my point still stands).

Yes maybe we SHOULD be doing better, and have better support, pop 135k etc etc, but the fact is we virtually never do.
We've been bankrupt, we've been exiled, we don't own our ground and we prob won't.

At the moment we are one off automatic promotion, and on the verge of going into next round of the cup (again rare for us).

It is this which makes me happy and I am optomistic this season, as I trust my eyes and the experience of the past couple of season, which have seen a manager build a promotion challenging team from near certain relegation on a show string, it is this reason that teams inc shreswbury sniff around mt flynn, as he's breaking an amazing historical record of doom, with out the dough.

I don't think he will go to Shreswbury, as we pay him well and it's not too near or too successful a club, but if he did, I would wish him well and be glad he was here. I think he will stay and hopefully take us up and go from there. But what I would like is for people to stop being so negative and bitchy and actually enjoy a great season, I for one will.

UTC (p.s the link to our record is below and I sugges the mods stick it at the top of board to keep us all real!).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_N ... C._seasons
I have sympathy with your view but for me being in a playoff spot in Tier 4 in November should not be regarded as good, let alone great.

My view is that unless we start having self belief we will continue to underachieve. Clubs such as Shrewsbury shouldn't be seen as too big to compete with. Not having a secure tenure on our stadium is not something we can brush under the carpet and pretending it will all be okay. It took only just over six years from the unlucky defeat in the European Cup Winners Cup, indeed only just over four years from near certain promotion to Division Two to oblivion.

I know that may sound negative, I see it as the total opposite. I think we can do so much better, that's all.

if you don't think being 4th in league two is good then you're 'supporting' the wrong club I'm afraid.
Your desire for the county support and stadium wise is on a wish list for us all, but realistic? 100 years of league history would say, being 4th in league two is great. We'd all like to live in La la land Stan, but sometimes reality gets in the way. Try to enjoy the season and even get over for a game.

The NCFC Hippy wrote:if you don't think being 4th in league two is good then you're 'supporting' the wrong club I'm afraid.
Your desire for the county support and stadium wise is on a wish list for us all, but realistic? 100 years of league history would say, being 4th in league two is great. We'd all like to live in La la land Stan, but sometimes reality gets in the way. Try to enjoy the season and even get over for a game.
I am afraid we will have to disagree.