Re: Byron Anthony leaving

The Cat wrote:I seriously can't remember that conversation and I haven't spoken to that person in 18 months, so any link there is coincidence. Believe me, I just bit at another attack by you, but I'll disappear again now, as my psychiatrist tells me you are bad for me.
Haha, miaaaaaaoooooow.

The Cat wrote:I seriously can't remember that conversation and I haven't spoken to that person in 18 months, so any link there is coincidence. Believe me, I just bit at another attack by you, but I'll disappear again now, as my psychiatrist tells me you are bad for me.
I believe you Cat. Coincidence has a habit of laughing at us all. Indeed as I believe you I was wrong in my assumption as to why you posted. And please don't stop posting. Perhaps just think before you launch personal attacks? Clearly whilst Byron was at Newport County I wasn't going to let on that he had inadvertently let on about the true nature of relationships at Newport County. .

You take a different view to me. Which if you chose instead of playing the man to play the ball and argue why you think I'm wrong our exchanges might be interesting. Our 'slug fests' are not in the least bit interesting.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
The Cat wrote:Stan, I'd like you to spell out why you think I'm on here. I come on hear regularly but decided not to post because it was all getting pathetic. I bit on your latest attack and posted.
I'd really appreciate it if you come out with this conspiracy theory you have dreamt up regarding me
Because you worked with, on the same building site as the person who told me of the poor relationship between Flynn and Anthony. You talked on this subject with him.

As I say I am not commenting on a fall out between two people I have never met. Byron Anthony did not intentionally tell me anything. He remained loyal to the club.

I have no problem with Byron moving on, but I would like our club to have been far less terse in their statement.

Sharing information with a bitter ex employee with a clear axe to grind against the board does not strike me as being particularly loyal to the club and his employers, but it is all about opinions.

Alan G Bryant wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
The Cat wrote:Stan, I'd like you to spell out why you think I'm on here. I come on hear regularly but decided not to post because it was all getting pathetic. I bit on your latest attack and posted.
I'd really appreciate it if you come out with this conspiracy theory you have dreamt up regarding me
Because you worked with, on the same building site as the person who told me of the poor relationship between Flynn and Anthony. You talked on this subject with him.

As I say I am not commenting on a fall out between two people I have never met. Byron Anthony did not intentionally tell me anything. He remained loyal to the club.

I have no problem with Byron moving on, but I would like our club to have been far less terse in their statement.

Sharing information with a bitter ex employee with a clear axe to grind against the board does not strike me as being particularly loyal to the club and his employers, but it is all about opinions.
A bitter ex employee eh? Hmmmm. Perhaps you can now add him to your list of people you consider to be in the hysterical minority.

Alan G Bryant wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Friends talk to one another. I know that not having any that may come as a surprise to you but it happens. :grin:

I can only comment on how it appears from someone with no links to the club (official or unofficial) and it's inner machinations. The upgrade of the Academy's status to category 3 would seem to suggest Anthony or his team have done a decent job during his time as Academy Manager. However during that time no Academy player has made it any further than bench-warming or being used in meaningless matches or mickey-mouse competitions, which may be down to failures of the Academy or the relationship between Academy and the first team coaches.

If there is animosity between the job holders of two important roles within the organisation then it is for the best that this has ended. The statement suggests Anthony resigned which if true is admirable. It's possible that should the next incumbent of the Academy Manager's position have a better relationship with Flynn then Academy players might get the chances they haven't been recently, but I don't hold my breath on that.

I suspect Flynn for all his qualities may not be the easiest person to work with. His success has been based largely on the use of experienced players over promising youngsters and he possibly over-plays his first team "regulars" overlooking fitness concerns or form issues. In transfer windows he prefers to push the budget to it's very limit in seeking players he thinks will improve the squad without thought to what potential the Academy might hold. I think he has become blind to the Academy and to the benefits in developing those better players within it. And if someone within the Academy set-up were to suggest this to be the case then such criticism wouldn't be accepted willingly...

wattsville_boy wrote:I can only comment on how it appears from someone with no links to the club (official or unofficial) and it's inner machinations. The upgrade of the Academy's status to category 3 would seem to suggest Anthony or his team have done a decent job during his time as Academy Manager. However during that time no Academy player has made it any further than bench-warming or being used in meaningless matches or mickey-mouse competitions, which may be down to failures of the Academy or the relationship between Academy and the first team coaches.

If there is animosity between the job holders of two important roles within the organisation then it is for the best that this has ended. The statement suggests Anthony resigned which if true is admirable. It's possible that should the next incumbent of the Academy Manager's position have a better relationship with Flynn then Academy players might get the chances they haven't been recently, but I don't hold my breath on that.

I suspect Flynn for all his qualities may not be the easiest person to work with. His success has been based largely on the use of experienced players over promising youngsters and he possibly over-plays his first team "regulars" overlooking fitness concerns or form issues. In transfer windows he prefers to push the budget to it's very limit in seeking players he thinks will improve the squad without thought to what potential the Academy might hold. I think he has become blind to the Academy and to the benefits in developing those better players within it. And if someone within the Academy set-up were to suggest this to be the case then such criticism wouldn't be accepted willingly...
Just my opinion.

After the Cup run Flynn said and I think rightly that he wanted to build up the infrastructure at the club, to leave a legacy. This has not happened and we are told that the Cup money is gone.

When a club has a windfall there are two ways the money can be spent. On the team or on the club. I was watching a very interesting feature on Lincoln City yesterday lunchtime. Their new training facilities are amazing. Contrast their fortunes with another east of England club, Cambridge United who spent their monies on the playing squad.

In the early 1980's County chose to build a team as opposed to building up the club. We know where that ended. My fear is we are doing it again. This might upset some who feel we should just enjoy the ride but for those of us of a certain vintage this feels a lot like 1983.

And to build the infrastructure of the club up then you need everyone pulling in the same direction. Clubs at County's level need an Academy that is producing players for the first team for a multitude of reasons. Either the Academy are not producing players of sufficient quality or the first team management team are not utilising this resource sufficiently. Whichever it is has to be addressed.

What will be gleaned from the next incumbent of the Academy Manager role I don't know. More kids coming through to the first team wouldn't necessarily mean quality has improved. It might just be that the kids are no longer being punished for a lack of professionalism between two supposedly professional people.

Flynny was the person responsible for keeping Aaron Collins at the club make no mistake he was gone it was Flynny who saw the potential and fought his corner. He was also heavily involved with the academy for a couple of seasons and should've got the academy job when it went to that clown from Cardiff's academy who I met him a few times through the Smile Council and all he talked about was how they did things at Cardiff, I pointed out to him that he wasn't at Cardiff he was at the County. Foulston, Collins, Touray and Hillman are heavily involved in the squad learning as I've said elsewhere what it takes to be a pro footballer, Touray rightly benefitting from playng men's football at Barry. If they're good enough they'll break through if they're not they won't.

It is a real chicken and egg situation.

Invest in facilities and drop out of the league and we would possibly never come back as it is abundantly clear that Newport do not have a wealthy sugar daddy remotely interested in taking the helm.

Invest in the playing squad but not the infrastructure and we constantly tread water.

What Lincoln have/are doing is extraordinary , but do not believe the myth about Cambridge investing in their squad, they upgraded their toilets and paid off their losses from previous seasons. This is not too dissimilar to what we did with the demand for extra revenue from our landlords and previous seasons losses.

Even though MF was part of the academy,he seems reluctant to play young players.Carlisle was the perfect chance for Foulston to play in a back three but played Pipe and Butler out of position instead.Managers tend to prefer tried and tested journeymen to untried youngsters.I remember Bristol Rovers when Addison wouldn't play Pratt so got his old mate John Layton out of retirement.Both of these games proved,experience over youth doesn't always work.