Re: Leicester at Home

Trigger wrote:Rodney Parade redeveloped for multi sports use, football, rugby, squash courts, gym etc, to include shops, bars, cafe's, hotel...... Connected to friars walk via the new footbridge!!! Who would complain about that Jim?
I have suggested that maybe the council could sell that prime land which is the Library, Art Gallery and Museum in John Frost Square and use the money to build a new stand at the South End of Rodney Parade (on that bit of land they just 'gave' to the WRU) which could also house a library, art gallery and museum.

Any other money could be used to build the an extended North Stand with an incorporated hotel , gym, bar, cafe, community centre etc...

UPTHEPORT wrote:
rncfc wrote:
G Guest wrote:At the time that Newport Stadium was built, Newport AFC were not playing in Newport. That made it very difficult for the Council to justify building it to a high standard as a football ground.If you want to blame someone blame the FAW for their hostility towards our club and forcing us into exile.
No, but at the time the blueprints were put together we were. I specifically remember seeing them up on the wall in the old Moreton Lounge at Somerton Park before we were exiled for a second time.

So basically, when we were exiled the Council thought "**** 'em".

The FAW and Newport Council have both contributed to our total stagnant state off the pitch over the past 35 years or so.

Here we go again let's bash the council

How do they justify giving us a stadium to FL standards when the fact is less than 10 percent odd percent of Newport's population follow Newport County

It's easy to knock

Look I would love the council to say yes let's build a 15-20,000 seater

But live in the real world
Cultural identity? Self-respect? Business sense when you've got £100m+ of lazy cash reserves earning no interest?

What percentage of people who live in Newport use the Velodrome, or Friars Walk, or the Leisure Centre, or Spytty Park, the list goes on.

The money sat in their coffers is only there because the residents of Newport put it there! Sport fans in Newport (and let's not forget, football and rugby could share a modern arena) absolutely should be banging heads together at the Council and DEMANDING a fit for purpose stadium. It almost makes me feel sick that they won't do it for some reason.

Anyone with an iota of common sense could arrange the entire project without the net cost rising above £0 anyway.

It is now nearly a year since the Dragons chairman told us we could not afford to dawdle over plans to develop RP, and nothing has materialised.

It would be excellent if the WRU could signal their intentions as to what their long term plan is. They have been in control for 18 months and so far they have converted a gym into a bar and put a dragon on the roof of the changing rooms.

It’s looking likely, from the outside, that the WRU aren’t playing ball, and why would they. They are propping up a white elephant of a regional team that very few people give a damn about and are letting it wither and die of its own accord. It’s all about club Wales and grass roots with the WRU - still don’t realise that professional club / regional rugby is dying on its arse. WRU has an asset in RP that will probably increase in value quite nicely as South East Wales becomes gentrified by Bristolians.
Time for us to take the lead and move forward with a joint venture between County, Newport RFC and the Council. Redevelop Spytty for both codes 5-10k capacity before our RP lease expires. Move Harriers to Cwmbran Stadium which can be refurbished / upgraded and future running costs shared between Newport and Torfaen so monetary benefit to us taxpayers.
Hopefully things are moving along behind closed doors. I live in hope. A real shame we can’t match our current on field success off the field.

faerun exile wrote:It’s looking likely, from the outside, that the WRU aren’t playing ball, and why would they. They are propping up a white elephant of a regional team that very few people give a damn about and are letting it wither and die of its own accord. It’s all about club Wales and grass roots with the WRU - still don’t realise that professional club / regional rugby is dying on its arse. WRU has an asset in RP that will probably increase in value quite nicely as South East Wales becomes gentrified by Bristolians.
Time for us to take the lead and move forward with a joint venture between County, Newport RFC and the Council. Redevelop Spytty for both codes 5-10k capacity before our RP lease expires. Move Harriers to Cwmbran Stadium which can be refurbished / upgraded and future running costs shared between Newport and Torfaen so monetary benefit to us taxpayers.
Hopefully things are moving along behind closed doors. I live in hope. A real shame we can’t match our current on field success off the field.

So we Exile the harriers that's rather ironic isn't it

I like the idea of us and NRFC pulling together mind not that egg chasing is my thing

faerun exile wrote:It’s looking likely, from the outside, that the WRU aren’t playing ball, and why would they. They are propping up a white elephant of a regional team that very few people give a damn about and are letting it wither and die of its own accord. It’s all about club Wales and grass roots with the WRU - still don’t realise that professional club / regional rugby is dying on its arse.

It's known as market nudging - deliberately manipulating how choices are presented to consumers. Its goal is to influence what consumers choose, to steer them toward options that the marketer prefers.

Barclays are great at it - reduce opening hours at local branches so that fewer people use them, then close the branches, citing lack of use as the reason.

UPTHEPORT wrote:
faerun exile wrote:It’s looking likely, from the outside, that the WRU aren’t playing ball, and why would they. They are propping up a white elephant of a regional team that very few people give a damn about and are letting it wither and die of its own accord. It’s all about club Wales and grass roots with the WRU - still don’t realise that professional club / regional rugby is dying on its arse. WRU has an asset in RP that will probably increase in value quite nicely as South East Wales becomes gentrified by Bristolians.

So we Exile the harriers that's rather ironic isn't it

I like the idea of us and NRFC pulling together mind not that egg chasing is my thing
Not at all. There are far too many local authorities and parochial attitudes in Wales. Instead of councillors selfishly hanging onto their dominions to justify their self importance, our tax payers money would go a hell of a lot further if facilities and services were shared. The council reorganisation of the 90s was a success in terms of accountability but a disaster by creating a plethora of jobs for the boys.
How many levels of govt do we need for Christ sake.
Anyway, I digress. Cwmbran Stadium with improved facilities would be the sweetener for the Harriers. I bet half the people using Spytty for running about live nearer to Cwmbran or find it easier to get to. Sharing future running costs would be the sweetener for Newport and Torfaen councils. Torfaen gets a free stadium upgrade and Newport gets a fit for purpose football/rugby stadium away from the town centre/hooligans out the way and a lovely new mixed use development in the centre of town once RP gets demolished.
Everyone’s a winner.

A great draw, THAT is County's incentive to "put Wrexham "in their place"------- just as we did at Wembley"---- So come on the Newport public, get off your arses and come and support the club---- Its another way to boost the Counties bank account if we succeed in the 2nd Round replay.........................Come on the Port !!..........................Bob Bassett

BertieB wrote:A great draw, THAT is County's incentive to "put Wrexham "in their place"------- just as we did at Wembley"---- So come on the Newport public, get off your arses and come and support the club---- Its another way to boost the Counties bank account if we succeed in the 2nd Round replay.........................Come on the Port !!..........................Bob Bassett
Yes Bob thanks for getting the thread back to the title subject. It is a great draw, but only if we win the replay. Remember Yate, and more recently Plymouth. What a disappointment the latter was. Drawn away to Liverpool , but then we lost the replay.