Potteries hooligans

So anyone got the answer to combat the brain dead hooligans that still tarnish the game.....?
Doubtless the poor clubs will get fined for not controlling their fans and everyone will try and find someone else to blame.
Families should be a able to take kids to games and not witness that.
Someone mentioned "Feral youths" at Wrexham.
Society is fast running out of basic social skills...
I'm at a loss.
Any comments? and let's have really good thread on this
Norm

Re: Potteries hooligans

mad norm wrote:So anyone got the answer to combat the brain dead hooligans that still tarnish the game.....?
Doubtless the poor clubs will get fined for not controlling their fans and everyone will try and find someone else to blame.
I'm at a loss.
Norm
Very little surprises me,but i was somewhat to see a 61 year old being amongst those arrested. Certainly can't categorise them all as 'feral youths.' As for society running out of social skills it depends over what time period you are talking, as disorder at football matches,as has been stated is certainly less prevelent than the 70s/80s. The obvious response is to say identification and severe punishment, including banning from future games, of as many of the culprits as possible will act as a deterent of a repeat. Whilst that may be true for many, sadly it won't deter everyone. The belief that certain anti-social behaviours is acceptable/justifiable has seemingly increased in my lifetime (65+years) and is of course far more widespread than football alone.

mad norm wrote:So anyone got the answer to combat the brain dead hooligans that still tarnish the game.....?
I'm at a loss.
Norm
Norm, I agree, this is a very serious subject and deserves a serious response.

However, others, myself included, have put up serious posts in the past that you have then attempted to satirise and make typical 'Mad Norm' posts on. Why should I attempt to give a serious response to you now?

I think I will pass on your attempt at seriousness thank you.

pembsexile wrote:
I'm at a loss.
Norm
Norm, I agree, this is a very serious subject and deserves a serious response.

However, others, myself included, have put up serious posts in the past that you have then attempted to satirise and make typical 'Mad Norm' posts on. Why should I attempt to give a serious response to you now?

I think I will pass on your attempt at seriousness thank you.
Well I apologise wholeheartedly if I've given that impression in previous posts...whilst attempts at humour may come over as crass that has never been my intention.. I would be keen to see those particular posts.
In my journey through the years I find humour like dialect varies from region to region .
Notwithstanding , I still hope to share a pint with you and many forum friends in the not too distant future

For me the best way of dealing with people such as these is to call them out for the sad losers they are. Hopefully the young ones amongst them will grow up. For the 61 year old (my age) it might be too late.
For all our arguments on here, whenever hooliganism breaks out, whether our morons or other teams idiots the condemnation is pretty universal. One of the things which worries me is how a tiny minority garner such a reaction. The truth is that hundreds of thousands of us watch football on a regular basis. We don't threaten or use violence and yet somehow we get lumped in with the idiots.

Micheal wrote:its not just football norm its society in general been too soft too long
Yes indeed. And to some extent Football deserves a pat on the back for greatly reducing threatening and violent behaviour since the 70s/80s in contrast to the wider society. Unfortunately the cynic in me doesn't ever forsee the total elimination from Football as it is frequented by such a large number of people from most areas of the country and from all walks of life.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
Micheal wrote:its not just football norm its society in general been too soft too long
Yes indeed. And to some extent Football deserves a pat on the back for greatly reducing threatening and violent behaviour since the 70s/80s in contrast to the wider society. Unfortunately the cynic in me doesn't ever forsee the total elimination from Football as it is frequented by such a large number of people from most areas of the country and from all walks of life.
Very much agree. Footy has come a long way.....my concern is still with a society (overstatement for want of better word) that produces lowlife that can tape scalpel blades to kids playground slides(see my everything else post)
Not off topic but this behaviour has to be addressed pretty damn quickly.
Footy should be an event without mass security and intimidating atmosphere but reiterate we've come a long way in the right direction

My old late father, may have had the answer all along: I forget how many times I heard him say, 'Bring back the birch!!"... they won't do it again.
And to the bleeding hearts who say you can't use violence to show it's wrong to use violence: "yes you can. Yes you should, and yes it'll work"....... like Dad said, "they won't do it again"

newgroundrodney wrote:My old late father, may have had the answer all along: I forget how many times I heard him say, 'Bring back the birch!!"... they won't do it again.
And to the bleeding hearts who say you can't use violence to show it's wrong to use violence: "yes you can. Yes you should, and yes it'll work"....... like Dad said, "they won't do it again"
The use of violence in certain circumstances is of course legal in the form of self-defence. As for the use of the birch as 'they won't do it again' would apparantly work for logical people, but there is evidence that, argueably illogical people, do repeat their anti-social behaviours even after birching or others forms of corporal punishments.