Bath RFC at RP?

Considering playing at RP while their ground is being redeveloped.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... d-rebuilt/

Bath are expected to receive backing from their Premiership rivals if they relocate to Wales while a new 18,000-capacity stadium is built at the Recreation Ground.

Bath will have to leave their ground midway through next season if planning permission is granted by Bath and North East Somerset Council next year, with the new venue expected to be open by September 2021.

The club revealed they have considered nine existing stadiums, and seven other sites to build a temporary stadium during the redevelopment phase, including three ground-share options in Wales: Cardiff Arms Park, Newport’s Rodney Parade and Cardiff City Stadium.

Bath have also explored the possibility of relocation to Premiership rivals Bristol and Gloucester and also Bristol Rovers, Swindon, Yeovil and Reading football clubs.

The club’s preferred option is to build a temporary structure on the Recreation Ground but while a move to Wales would require approval from the Professional Game Board, it appears that they would have the support from other clubs

“We are delighted to see the ground-breaking plans for a new world-class stadium in Bath which will deliver a huge benefit to the city and rugby in general,” said a Premiership Rugby spokesman.

“It will bring huge investment into the city, creating a new stadium for the benefit of the club and the local community.

“Bath Rugby may well need to stage matches away from the Recreation Ground during this exciting redevelopment and we will do all we can to support their ambitions.

“We understand that Bath Rugby are looking at more than a dozen sites for these matches to be played – while redevelopment occurs – and once they come to us with a firm proposal, we will do all we can to support them.”

Rodney Parade, which has a capacity of 8,500, is 40 miles from Bath, although the stadium already hosts Newport Gwent Dragons, Newport RFC and Newport County.

Cardiff City Stadium has a capacity of 32,500 and is 57 miles from the Rec while Cardiff Arms Park, with a capacity of just over 12,000, is 55 miles away.

Bath have also considered Bath Racecourse, Lansdown playing fields, the club’s old training ground at Lambridge, St John’s field at the University of Bath, Sulis Club, Kingswood School and the east side of the Recreation Ground as potential sites for a 14,500 temporary stadium.

The latter option would require permission from Bath Recreation Limited, the charitable body which owns the land.

Re: Bath RFC at RP?

George Street-Bridge wrote:It sounds like a fantasy. Four teams would be absurd and even if everything else could be made to fit, why would the WRU allow a much bigger and more successful rugby team than the Dragons play in Newport?

The County Ground in Swindon is marginally nearer and AFAIK only has one team on it.
I agree entirely with everything you say. However the one problem with your analysis is that Swindon can say no, we can't.

Well, yes, we can't say no to our landlords potentially trashing their own investment. But that's academic when set against asking why on earth would they want to?

I think the driver here is it's better clickbait if it moots an English club playing in Wales.

And how about Bristol Rovers for a short-term move?

George Street-Bridge wrote:Well, yes, we can't say no to our landlords potentially trashing their own investment. But that's academic when set against asking why on earth would they want to?

I think the driver here is it's better clickbait if it moots an English club playing in Wales.

And how about Bristol Rovers for a short-term move?
To reply in the alternative. The WRU might be very happy to 'trash their investment' or as they would see it maximize their return.

In the alternative if they do see overuse of Rodney Parade as trashing the stadium and pitch then they may well take the view, we are the Welsh Rugby Football Union. Our duty is to Welsh rugby teams. Dragons a Welsh rugby team, they can stay, Newport RFC a Welsh rugby team, they can stay, Newport County, oh dear, nothing personal, you might try Swindon, we hear their looking for an extra income stream.

George Street-Bridge wrote:I'm thinking more broadly than just trashing the pitch. Even allowing Bath in for, say, a year would highlight just what a poor product the WRU is offering the Newport rugby public via the Dragons.
I would imagine that the night nine trys to one defeat to Leinster Youth probably ended any doubt as to the standard of Newport rugby. However as with football rugby fans tend to stick with their club. I suppose also that the chance of seeing players like Sexton et all will keep some supporters happy. If County fans were treated to a Messi master class we'd probably accept a hammering as a price worth paying.

Back on subject though, I do think for the reasons you post four clubs at Rodney Parade is unlikely, but as with all things County the absurd can never be entirely written off.

George Street-Bridge wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote: as with all things County the absurd can never be entirely written off.
I'm going to do a James O'Brien here and challenge you to back that up.
Let me see.

Five different home stadiums in our first twenty five years since reformation. A fans owned club, which the fans who formed the club had to buy back a second time. A promise to publish board minutes which has slipped again. No certainty about where we will be playing in four years. I could go on but there are only so many minutes in a day, years in a lifetime.

From this I get the impression that the rugby are desperate for extra revenue by any means, as they’re certainly not getting bums on seats with the Dragons. With County atttendances slowly creeping north and the Dragons going south (some speculate they’re already inflating attendance numbers to save face), surely it won’t be long before the rugby needs County as much as we need the ground? Then maybe we’ll have some actual leverage when negotiating future relationships

George Street-Bridge wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote: as with all things County the absurd can never be entirely written off.
I'm going to do a James O'Brien here and challenge you to back that up.
C'mon George, he's got a point.

I find a lot of what Stan says on here a bit daft, but he's spot on this time.

"The club revealed they have considered nine existing stadiums, and seven other sites to build a temporary stadium during the redevelopment phase, including three ground-share options in Wales: Cardiff Arms Park, Newport’s Rodney Parade and Cardiff City Stadium."

So sixteen options being considered - but off we go with a thread about them coming to RP

Looks like another 'Flynny off to the Shrews' debacle then........