Re: GRANDSTAND: EXILES v WREXHAM (FA CUP 2nd Rd)

Kevinmoorefellover wrote:I did wonder whether it was going to be one of those frustrating games at the end of the first half but we took Wrexham apart after the break. I haven’t seen any stats on possession but they are going to be something special I would have thought.
Ist half very frustrating. Thought midfield 3 all looked tense and lacking in confidence, resulting in many passes going astray. The Ist goal obviously settled the players and they showed greater composure and accuracy thereafter.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
Kevinmoorefellover wrote:I did wonder whether it was going to be one of those frustrating games at the end of the first half but we took Wrexham apart after the break. I haven’t seen any stats on possession but they are going to be something special I would have thought.
Ist half very frustrating. Thought midfield 3 all looked tense and lacking in confidence, resulting in many passes going astray. The Ist goal obviously settled the players and they showed greater composure and accuracy thereafter.
I agree mate. Both Bennett & Dolan sat deep and couldn’t put a decent pass in between them.
Was quite surprised how negative Wrectum were after going a goal down. Yes they had 10 men BUT, they didn’t leave anyone up field and they conceded again and still sat deep. It was so easy for us second half.
Robbie played well when he came on.

Nice to see Darren Jones and Aaron O’Connor in hospitality

Bring on Leicester!!

It wasn't a good performance , it was a good professional performance from us.

We seemed tense and lacking creativity in midfield until we scored but tried to do the good things by passing the ball around to make Wrexham tire . The front three weren't moving around enough to create the openings and the defence needed to come forward more with the ball to try and drag a Wrexham player towards them to create space. Once the goal went in we seemed to relax and pass it about more...A 6 out of 10 for performance but an 8 for professionalism from me. Apart from the shot I thought Wrexham failed to put our defence under any pressure. When they went 2 down they seemed to want to settle for damage limitation.
If their shot had gone in, ( it was a save of the highest calibre by the way) , I still feel we would have gone on to win as they tired very quickly after about an hour and were hanging on

Job done. Wrexham were dead and buried from the moment they went down to ten men. Somehow they seemed to believe that because they held out for 40 minutes with a man short, that their game plan should then be to keep going for another 45 and then 30 minutes extra time. We played the perfect gane of eleven v ten and just strangled their hopes. I suppose the reality is that their players just weren't up to the task they were faced with after the sending off. The second half it seemed like Wrexham waved a white flag.

rncfc wrote:What a difference Willmott made, gives you an out ball every time. Out wide he's great in my opinion.
+1
I know we were in front against 10 men when he came on , but him and Pipe down the right hand side ripped them apart second half .
Wilmott down the right , and Butler down the left gives us real attacking options out wide
Amond was superb tonight
And you can now see why Manure are rumoured to be scouting Semenyo ..... he was a right handful tonight and deserved a goal to cap a great performance

The more I think about the game the more I realise how utterly inept Wrexham were. Go down to ten men, get everyone behind the ball and retreat into their own half. Fair enough. Conceded a goal, continue with the same plan until they conceded a second. By then it's too late so eventually further goals. Our extra man was actually a free player at the back because they never considered throwing caution to the wind and put some pressure on our defence. At 1-0, the only question was, when will we score another.