Re: BBC Highlights

If The FA handled discipline for Wrexham, I would agree they have no chance, but with it being in the hands if the FAW, they do have previous with letting Wrexham players off without a ban. Fortunately for us last time around the player involved could be credited with an assist for our first goal at Wembley. :cheers:

wattsville_boy wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:What an idiot. I don’t think he has a hope in hell of getting that overturned. Have you seen the picture in the ‘leader’ newspaper? He’s flown in two footed off the floor.

https://www.leaderlive.co.uk/wrexham_af ... rt-county/
I suspect Barrow is suggesting that Demetriou in staying down was forcing the referee into taking the action that he did. I wasn't at the match but listened to RW on the trip home from work and the decision seemed instantaneous from a referee who was close by and had a good view of the incident. The commentators described the challenge as a "leg breaker" and were surprised (and full of praise) that Demetriou got up and played on. I suspect the quickness of the card suggests the ref saw the challenge similarly as a "leg breaker" and would reflect upon how dangerous (and reckless) he saw it. The photo above only confirms how terrible it was.
The chances of the card being rescinded I would put at zero.

I would suggest Barrow should use his efforts more productively in trying to prevent his players from making such challenges by attempting to coach it out of them. Were it a County player making such a challenge on a Wrexham player he'd no doubt be arguing for the restoration of the death penalty so it does smack a bit of double standards (but doesn't so much in football these days). A sensible man would issue a statement today stating that having seen the footage today he felt the challenge reckless and unacceptable, worthy of no appeal and that he sends his good wishes to Demetriou and apologises for questioning his integrity. It won't happen, but perhaps it should...
Doesn’t the FAW sit in judgement, if so given their bias this could be a factor in any appeal?

I looked at across at their fans when Demetriou got back to his feet, and I couldn't see one single Wrexham fan applauding the fact he didn't have broken legs and that he'd returned to his feet.

Amazingly bad sportsmanship, from a bunch of deluded weirdo's living in the past. They seem to hate us more than they like their own team.

excessbee wrote:I think they acknowledged the quality of Butler's goal...... those that were still there. :lol:
Yes in fairness most of them applauded Butler's goal. Sadly a few morons always seem to tarnish the perception of the majority of true football supporters. The photo of the red card incident surely provides indisputable evidence that it warrented a red card. Sadly managers like Barrow trying to defend the indefensible doesn't help to dispel the belief, by many people i speak to, that Football in general is lacking in integrity. Admiittedly based on premiership and european football on TV with players frequently seen feigning injury and 'diving', and pundits comments such as 'he was entitled to go down' aka 'diving'

UPTHEPORT wrote:The Ref had card out within 2 seconds what that's got to do with the length of time he was on Floor
Sorry perhaps I didn't explain that bit sufficiently. A stock reply from football managers when their player gets a red card is to insinuate that the rolling around on the floor that often follows a poor challenge can affect the colour of card given. In this case as you point out (and because the referee had a good view of the incident) the only delay would have been in distinguishing which card was which in his pocket before pulling out the red card. It sounded reckless on the radio, looks bad from the photo posted by Exile 1976 and was possibly the easiest decision the referee made all night.

I should also reiterate that the suggestion from Barrow that Demetriou had any influence in the decision by over-playing the hurt received is dreadful and I feel he should clarify that it was a poor challenge that Wrexham won't try to overturn.