Re: Bumper spends

I think it'll depend on which of the loan players will be extended beyond January. We might get some indication of that soon.

I would definitely say CB purely because the defence are conceding too easily irrespective of whom plays at CB or what formation is used. My feeling is that County need a no-nonsense CB that'll take no prisoners whether they are opposition players or team-mates. But it's just a feeling that the current CB's are at fault for most of the goals, it's entirely possible that the fault lies with our full-backs/wing-backs. Not sure whether we need a left back because I quite like the look of Tyler Forbes. He may just need a run of games to get some confidence in his abilities, which is difficult when Butler generally has been playing so well. Similarly not sure about whether County need a midfielder unless it was to replace someone not functioning (Cooper), or permanently injured (few contenders here). Certainly with most of County's injured midfielder's back to building up match fitness then the urgent need of a couple of weeks ago is dissipating. Perhaps we lack creativity in midfield, certainly we need greater consistency of performance, but can you buy someone with such guarantees?

I'd prefer to bank the money towards either solving the problem of where County's playing future lies (i.e stadium elsewhere) or even to finding and building a permanent training base for the various County teams. Both are needed. One is essential, the other preferential.

daftasfxxx wrote:Forbes is a right back, could possibly you mean Pring?
You are correct and I am wrong. Substitute "Butler" for "Pipe" and the problem is the same. Pring is possibly a better player than Tyler Forbes but both current full-backs/wing-backs provide a certain consistency of performance that makes giving their "deputies" sufficient game time difficult.

If we are talking left back then I'd be more than happy to see Butler given a rest (heaven knows he needs it) and Pring given a run out. I fear that Pring's loan could be recalled by Bristol in January but County could be lucky...

I would like to see us sign a CB or a defensive mid, I don't think there is anything wrong with the players we have I just think we are light on numbers. We have one out and out defensive mid Crofts, who has struggled with injury, we also have Bennett and Labadie who could do a job there. However Bennett is a centre back really and Labs played as the more advanced midfielder last season and is returning from injury.

With the centre backs we have Mickey, Bennett, MOB and Franks as I said above Bennett moves into midfield fairly regularly leaving us with 3 and if we are playing 3 at the back 4 CBs is probably not enough, not to mention MOB has been struggling with injuries too. I just think an extra body in there would help we saw Butler move to CB last night after Mickey came off and that would be a huge waste of his talents.

When Les was here,all monies went on the playing squad and nothing toward infrastructure.We need our own training ground for starters and this windfall should go for that or we will never get one.Besides,we already have a strong squad with 20 players genuinely chasing a place in the starting line up.That means if everyone is fit,MF has to leave two out of the matchday squad all together.There is competition in all positions and I don't see where the team needs improving unless the loan guys are recalled.

Percy plunkett wrote:When Les was here,all monies went on the playing squad and nothing toward infrastructure.We need our own training ground for starters and this windfall should go for that or we will never get one.Besides,we already have a strong squad with 20 players genuinely chasing a place in the starting line up.That means if everyone is fit,MF has to leave two out of the matchday squad all together.There is competition in all positions and I don't see where the team needs improving unless the loan guys are recalled.
But not everyone will be fit. If the squad is that strong why have only the bottom three conceded more goals?

Marky wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:When Les was here,all monies went on the playing squad and nothing toward infrastructure.We need our own training ground for starters and this windfall should go for that or we will never get one.Besides,we already have a strong squad with 20 players genuinely chasing a place in the starting line up.That means if everyone is fit,MF has to leave two out of the matchday squad all together.There is competition in all positions and I don't see where the team needs improving unless the loan guys are recalled.
But not everyone will be fit.
Then we still have KMB,Foulston,Collins and Hillman to fill the bench and Cooper.These three kids will need to be given a chance at some stage even in small doses.That gives us 25 players,no need for anymore unless Cooper goes back or any of the other loans.Or if someone really special is available.Keep the cash for a training facility.

We have seen the gaffer in the past say that he would like the club to own their own facilities and ground one day and mentioned it specifically in relation to the FA Cup money from last year. But he has also said that he would like to bring a couple in Jan which what the OP was asking.
I'm not suggesting every penny go from there but for the right player at the right price why wouldn't we bring them in, our market is usually people we can get without a fee bar with a few notable exceptions and I doubt we would offer more than an 18 month contract so we wouldn't be tied into anyone beyond the end of next season. We have conceded a lot of goals and it makes sense that would be an area to look to improve.
Also having seen how much Mansfield paid for their training ground ~£2M it will take more significant investment than reaching 3rd or 4th round for a few years running.

P.S. We added some guy called Jolley in January once and I think he did OK?

Est.1912 wrote:We have seen the gaffer in the past say that he would like the club to own their own facilities and ground one day and mentioned it specifically in relation to the FA Cup money from last year. But he has also said that he would like to bring a couple in Jan which what the OP was asking.
I'm not suggesting every penny go from there but for the right player at the right price why wouldn't we bring them in, our market is usually people we can get without a fee bar with a few notable exceptions and I doubt we would offer more than an 18 month contract so we wouldn't be tied into anyone beyond the end of next season. We have conceded a lot of goals and it makes sense that would be an area to look to improve.
Also having seen how much Mansfield paid for their training ground ~£2M it will take more significant investment than reaching 3rd or 4th round for a few years running.

P.S. We added some guy called Jolley in January once and I think he did OK?
Hopefully before signing new players Flynn will look to secure a few important ones who are in the last stages of their existing contracts. Amond readily springs to mind, and maybe Labadie.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote:
Hopefully before signing new players Flynn will look to secure a few important ones who are in the last stages of their existing contracts. Amond readily springs to mind, and maybe Labadie.
100% agree with you on that! Amond, Mickey and Butler would be 3 I would try and immediately tie down, although I think Butler will fancy his chances of moving up level. Maybe wait to see if Labadie can reach his previous level before we sign him up for next year though.