Re: Who would you offer new deals to?

I'd would look to resign Amond, Day, Demetriou, Butler, Dolan, Willmott & Touray.

Also Pipey on a Player/Coach deal.

Forbes I'd like to have at least another year to have a look at him, I think he could become a great player for us.

Obviously if Labs gets back to full fitness I'd offer him a deal but I think he'll be off.
Last edited by B0mbshell on December 14th, 2018, 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: 13

Interesting issue for players' agents to chew on. Your client is offered a contract extension. The club has a windfall coming that could increase in value from one good performance. The club have a reasonable chance of reaching the playoffs and therefore a chance of promotion. The manager is being linked very strongly with almost every manager job in L1 and L2 that comes about and is likely to leave before the end of the season when the right job comes along. The club have a tendency to drop off in terms of league form in the second half of the season. The transfer window opens in less than three weeks' time...

What advice do you give the client in terms of the contract extension?

Ugo. wrote:We should definitely start with Day, Butler, Demetriou, Amond, Dolan.

Not saying that's all but they would be my priority.

Haven't included Labadie as I don't think he will sign a new contract, at least not yet.
Agree with these 5. The others named in the article would need to show considerably more in the second half of the season to get into the frame imo. (Presumably Frank's and Matt have a year and half left on their contracts and so could be 'topped back up' to 2 year deals).

Other than that maybe Pipe could still do a job on a fitness coach role combined with a 'rolling' player contract. Any academy player contract is down to potential to progress to senior level as they haven't been given/won that opportunity to-date.

Personally I wouldn't offer Dolan a new contract,not up to the job as midfield creative for me. The one glaring spot we need to sort in the Jan window is a proper ball playing midfileder who runs the game and passes through balls for people like Harris and Semenyo to run onto. Byrne was perfect, Randall started to do it before he left, but that's where we need to concentrate imho.

Pipey is a great defensively, poor going forward with distribution which is important in our formation, though he's a great spirit about the place and can be part of the coaching set up too.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:“Sign the extension. It’s Newport County after all, by far the greatest team the world has ever seen”
More likely 'screw them for every penny you can'
That is one of the most cynical, nasty and bordering on the vicious analysis of the mindset of professional footballers that I have read for quite some time.

Can't say I disagree though. :shock:

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:“Sign the extension. It’s Newport County after all, by far the greatest team the world has ever seen”
More likely 'screw them for every penny you can'
That is one of the most cynical, nasty and bordering on the vicious analysis of the mindset of professional footballers that I have read for quite some time.

Can't say I disagree though. :shock:
My 'screw them etc' was more aimed at players agents than the players themselves. But that is their job isn't it?

Sadly a sign of the times that whatever extra revenue is created is swallowed up by players/agents.
I would never begrudge them something more because their ability to earn is short lived but very little appears to be left to develop the club.

allontheamber wrote:Sadly a sign of the times that whatever extra revenue is created is swallowed up by players/agents.
I would never begrudge them something more because their ability to earn is short lived but very little appears to be left to develop the club.
I don't begrudge anyone making as much as they can. However I don't see the argument of it being a short career. Many people see their jobs disappear. For many reasons. Most of us have to retrain and do something else.

If footballers are overpaid, and I believe that they are, don't blame the players, don't even blame the agents. Blame the idiot directors, owners and supporters who pay them inflated wages.