Re: Excuses

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
girl saturday wrote:I grew up in & around Newport County and have been a fan all my life.
In all those years, the one word I never remember hearing is "Aspire".

:roll: .. we all want to win every game GS but unfortunately that will never happen and, amazingly, whether we like it or not there are better teams out there than us
Once you accept defeat you are beaten. Kate is right, we fail to aspire to what we could be.

That’s not right at all. We all want to win every game but the fact is you will not, you can aspire to all you want but it’ll never happen.
I can accept defeat when beaten by a side that played better but hope we can improve on that. If you cannot accept that you not will win everything in life then you’re going to be a miserable old git like you ! :wink: :lol:

girl saturday wrote:I grew up in & around Newport County and have been a fan all my life.
Perhaps 'all those years' don't go far enough back to when Newport County failed to exist, and some of the good people of Newport failed to accept it's demise and reformed a club with the aspiration to return to the football league. An aspiration many never thought would happen. Aspiration realised!

girl saturday wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
girl saturday wrote: I agree, we've accepted it for as long as I remember, sadly that's why nothing has ever changed.

Pathetic comment GS.
It’s a fact that there are better teams and teams with much bigger budgets. We all want and hope to catch up with them but so do every other side. The board, the management, the players, will try their level best to do so.
You have to accept that you will never win every game, that’s not a ‘Newport’ trait that’s a fact of life.
You miss the point totally, does getting personal make you feel your opinion is more valid?

Nope, but I think your comment is pathetic. Simple as that.

girl saturday wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
Perhaps 'all those years' don't go far enough back to when Newport County failed to exist, and some of the good people of Newport failed to accept it's demise and reformed a club with the aspiration to return to the football league. An aspiration many never thought would happen. Aspiration realised!
They go back a long way before then when Keith Saunders was secretary ;)
Yes mine too. Obviously we speak to different fans, because i hear the word , or similar meaning ones, quite often.
Do you believe the team will have the aspiration to win boxing day and return to the play off position?

What's so disappointing is we had a great start to the season and it's all crumbling down due to our poor away form. Our starts to our away games in particular is painful to handle. Don't know if it's our formation that's the problem or our warm ups, but something's wrong to keep giving teams a massive head start. Been looking on Lincoln forum and they saying we gave it all right go. Our midfield and attack good, but our defence average. Come on Mike sort out the problem, if you really want to manage at the highest level let's see how you sort this problem out first.

Countymadbell wrote:What's so disappointing is we had a great start to the season and it's all crumbling down due to our poor away form. Our starts to our away games in particular is painful to handle. Don't know if it's our formation that's the problem or our warm ups, but something's wrong to keep giving teams a massive head start. Been looking on Lincoln forum and they saying we gave it all right go. Our midfield and attack good, but our defence average. Come on Mike sort out the problem, if you really want to manage at the highest level let's see how you sort this problem out first.

Our performances and results away from home this season have been better when we started with a back 5.

girl saturday wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
girl saturday wrote:

Nope, but I think your comment is pathetic. Simple as that.

ooh that's clever Exile, well done on your reasoned argument. You must be right.
Okay, I won't waste any more time.

Correct. I am right.

Alan G Bryant wrote:
Countymadbell wrote:What's so disappointing is we had a great start to the season and it's all crumbling down due to our poor away form. Our starts to our away games in particular is painful to handle. Don't know if it's our formation that's the problem or our warm ups, but something's wrong to keep giving teams a massive head start. Been looking on Lincoln forum and they saying we gave it all right go. Our midfield and attack good, but our defence average. Come on Mike sort out the problem, if you really want to manage at the highest level let's see how you sort this problem out first.

Our performances and results away from home this season have been better when we started with a back 5.
True and most of us realise that, hence the great disappointment at these setbacks when we don’t.

[
Yes mine too. Obviously we speak to different fans, because i hear the word , or similar meaning ones, quite often.
Do you believe the team will have the aspiration to win boxing day and return to the play off position?[/quote]
Yes we must move in different circles. Although I don't live in Newport, I do meet with a lot of people though
ps. my references are toward the historic philosophy around the club.
I'm happy to speak with you privately, it just turns to silly slanging matches on here so I rarely get involved, today excepted. ;)[/quote]

We can probably agree that he word aspiration i have picked on can have a hugely different meaning from one supporter to another. I do sense, correct me if i'm wrong, that you along with many others are getting increasingly frustrated with our away form, because there is a belief that we are capable of better, I can't comment, personally because i don't travel to away games. Also i don't live in Newport anymore either although i spent my first 23 years there, and would agree that many(not all) have had a historical defeatist attitude. Additionally i understand what you mean by 'silly slanging matches' and the infantile name calling that sadly occurs sometimes on this forum. I have no intention of being dragged down to that level. UTC

lowandhard wrote:
Alan G Bryant wrote:

True and most of us realise that, hence the great disappointment at these setbacks when we don’t.
Do you think that MF is torned between playing Amond, Matt and Semenyo in the starting X1 and playing with a back 5

lowandhard wrote:Quite possibly, and I can see that formation could be more creative but at the extent of being more vulnerable at the back. Perhaps start with the latter and end with the former if not working.
I would agree with you on that. Only half way through the season. Not giving up hope of a top 7 finish just yet.

I have not thought of it as shoehorning Semenyo into the side and it is hard to leave any of the front 3 out, but we are better with 5 at the back, that is obvious.

If Flynn signs two players that can defend in a flat back 4 the second half of the season could be interesting.

The first ten minutes in many of our away games highlights not getting on the front foot and allowing the opposition to pressure us and take advantage of our slow starts and lack of focus.
The two goals conceded in 7 minutes yesterday emphasises this do not like blaming individuals but I will on this occasion O'Brien for the first Lincoln goal was out fought and thought by Akinde who outjumped him and then got on to the loose ball and very fortunately it was deflected in. Akinde is a man mountain and does do that to the best of defenders. Although O'Brien out on the left their right flank should have blocked or put in a tackle before the shot went across the box into the corner for the second.
Demetriou was definitely missed in the heart of the defence because he organises much better anyway and I am sure Mark will make up for this which he has in bucket loads for our Great Escape !

girl saturday wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:

:roll: .. we all want to win every game GS but unfortunately that will never happen and, amazingly, whether we like it or not there are better teams out there than us
I agree, we've accepted it for as long as I remember, sadly that's why nothing has ever changed.

I agree, we've accepted it for as long as I remember, sadly that's why nothing has ever changed.[/quote]

I disagree with nothing has changed, in the last 10 years we have gone from Conference South to returning to and establishing ourselves in the Football League and once again become a fully professional club those are pretty drastic changes. What would you like us to "Aspire" to? I'm sure the team go out to try and win every game but sometimes a point is a good point (like away from home to the league leaders) and sometimes your tactics and performance doesn't match the opposition and you come away with nothing.

Fair enough another bad start to a game which is disappointing but Lincoln have lost 1 of their last 10 home games you can't win every game which is why as far as I am aware no football league club has ever done it in a season. Not our worst result of the year by far let's keep things in context, we get to put things right against FGR boxing day,