Re: GRANDSTAND: EXILES v CRAWLEY

neilcork68 wrote:
County ranger wrote:
Loyalfoot wrote:Neil you need to seek help with your obsession
So what did Willmott do today - one decent cross and a passenger for the rest of the time - with the commitment of a Podge / Matt he would have scored into the empty net.
He chases around but what does he actually do - the obsession is with people on here who think he is a L2 player!

Stop it , it doesn't help their argument when the true facts are pointed out to them :lol: ...I am shocked that he hasn't blamed my 'obsession' as the reason why Robbie isn't playing well :lol: :lol: :lol:
Neil I agree with you that Willmott was ineffective today playing out of position, but there were several other players just as poor playing in their preferred positions, but you always single out Willmott. It seems to me that Matt always plays but as done very little of late. Maybe he's MF's go to man as well. And what about Bennett? His passing is awful. At least he dropped Pipe today.

I don't blame Robbie for his current underperforming. If you saw the look on his face (contempt) when MF and WH spoke to him during a break in play you could tell he wasn't happy at being played out of position again.

Trouble is we don't really have any tactical nous or even a Plan B. Ball is all too often hoofed up to Matt to control or Podge to run behind the defence. Other than that it's just occasionally tricky long throw - ins from us. No clever corners (they all seem to get cleared by the first defender), no driving runs from midfield, no speedy overlapping from Butler/Forbes/Pipe. Substitutions are intended to change the game but never do.

Tactics from the management team seem to be restricted to "we'll give it a few more minutes to see what happens then ask Lennie what to do". Seeing Dolan limp out for the second half proved that to me. There has to be a reason why Sheehan isn't starting e.g. he's unfit otherwise why play the other midfielders who are unfit and out of form.

I think I'd go with a straightforward 442, with Butler and Robbie playing as wingers or if MF doesn't trust them to get regular good crosses in (like they're both capable of) then get someone new in to replace them or at least look to see if there's any pacy wingers in the academy otherwise this season which started so positively is likely to fizzle out.
Last edited by DeePeeNCAFC on December 29th, 2018, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Well, home at last.
That was all rather tiresome wasn’t it.
A great point for us though, because we are really,really crap away from home.
You lot are out of form, but in all honesty in the two games I’ve seen you this season, you have looked oh so similar to the side that nearly went down last year...which gets me thinking.
How can a side that was pushing for an automatic slot, let alone a play off place suddenly find themselves so far off the pace.
I can’t believe for one momont that my two game assessment could be accurate or relative.

I suppose our two clubs are very similar actually.
Similar stadia, similar fan base and similar football league history

Yelwarc wrote:Well, home at last.
You lot are out of form, but in all honesty in the two games I’ve seen you this season, you have looked oh so similar to the side that nearly went down last year...which gets me thinking.
How can a side that was pushing for an automatic slot, let alone a play off place suddenly find themselves so far off the pace.
I can’t believe for one momont that my two game assessment could be accurate or relative.

Liked your centre-half (the bandaged up one), thought he played we today. Bulman still got a good engine on him despite his age (can recall watching him play for Oxford in the BSP yonks ago). I think you need a decent forward though because yours were useless today against our run-of-the-mill defence.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:

Liked your centre-half (the bandaged up one), thought he played well today. Bulman still got a good engine on him despite his age (can recall watching him play for Oxford in the BSP yonks ago). I think you need a decent forward though because yours were useless today against our run-of-the-mill defence.

mad norm wrote:F. F. S

Stop being silly

Incidentally. GOALS AGAINST should be the main topic of discussion......

Also today's result was a stonewall draw for any punter ,part time or pro....Even mystic counters agreed
Yes, of course GOALS AGAINST should be main topic of conversation. Joint second most goals conceded in League 2. And we have played 1 game less than the others. How do we go about improving that?

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:

Liked your centre-half (the bandaged up one), thought he played we today. Bulman still got a good engine on him despite his age (can recall watching him play for Oxford in the BSP yonks ago). I think you need a decent forward though because yours were useless today against our run-of-the-mill defence.
I noted the changes you had made.No Pipe??
The fella scares the life out of me lol
Dannie is still going strong, a bit of a hero down at the Reds!
Up top Poleon isn’t up to much, and young Panutche is still learning.
Without big Ollie we look lost.
If you had taken one of your early chances you would probably have won comfortably, without being spectacular...if that makes sense.
Last edited by Yelwarc on December 29th, 2018, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:MF has shown he can make necessary changes (dropping Pipe and Bakinson after poor games on Weds) but seems unable to make other changes needed, like either playing Robbie out wide or as an impact sub or switching the formation to negate the opposition threat.
The obsession MF has with Willmott has cost us many points your suggestion of an impact sub out wide right to maybe get one decent cross is the only place Willmott has in the squad of a L2 side.

Ugo. wrote:
Yelwarc wrote: You lot are out of form, but in all honesty in the two games I’ve seen you this season, you have looked oh so similar to the side that nearly went down last year
We didn't nearly go down last season
Pedant alert.
Season before, apologies for that but you get my point.

Sadly I have to agree with most posters with what was a performance devoid of confidence throughout rather than abject, and team selection particularly with regard to Robbie Wilmott absolutely spot on! I am not anti Robbie Wilmott, as I believe he is fairly decent right winger, but "shoe horning him" into a central midfield(or in pundit/ manager speak) the number 10 role, doesn't do him any justice!
In all honesty, the manager needs to take stock if he is to reverse the downward trend, and indeed his own CV, and I sincerely hope he can, because I can't see Stevenage let alone Leicester, quaking in their boots in the coming week!

neilcork68 wrote:
Kairdiff Exile wrote:I’d imagine the reason for snubbing Sheehan is that Crawley were a very, very physical team and he has not tended to do well against those.

Podge missed three good chances today, but deserves credit for sheer bloody determination to get into the right positions and create chances too. Contrast to Matt, who was largely anonymous today.

The main weakness today was our passing. O’Brien, Forbes, Crofts and several others made inexcusable errors, passing it to touch or the opposition despite being under zero pressure.

But hey, it’s a point and a clean sheet, which gives us something on which to build.

Yeah Wilmott really gets stuck in doesn't he ?
I think he does actually , Neil ??

Just a thought , but .........

Do the Board get an idea of the Club's financial position around Dec/Jan time ??
For a few seasons now we've seemed to have got ourselves in a good position in the League only to fall away after January ?
Even under Edinburgh , we were towards the top and then it's almost as if we think "Oh ... hang on ... we might go up here !! Are we ready yet ?"

Like I say .... just a thought .....

Corpaboy wrote:Just a thought , but .........

Do the Board get an idea of the Club's financial position around Dec/Jan time ??
For a few seasons now we've seemed to have got ourselves in a good position in the League only to fall away after January ?
Even under Edinburgh , we were towards the top and then it's almost as if we think "Oh ... hang on ... we might go up here !! Are we ready yet ?"

Like I say .... just a thought .....

Most common answer I’ve seen to this type of question is county can’t afford to go up