Re: IS MF THE WRIGHT MAN FOR THE JOB

Stan A. Einstein wrote:I wonder if for once when we are having a serious debate, rather than just throw out insults, certain posters might, instead of looking for arguments of a personal nature, try making a contribution?

To be clear, my view on Flat4's question is that it is too early to say. How Flynn deals with his first major crisis will I think give the answer. I am genuinely interested in what others think.
Brendan, I am of the opinion that he is the right man for the job. However, I think in this lean spell we will see his mettle.

On a shoestring budget, what he has done so far is superb. How he deals with the here and now is so important.

I think he knows what he is doing and certainly in this immediate period we don't just need to support him, we need to show that we support him. People need to take a deep breath before they criticise too harshly.

Football fans are fickle, we need to have a sense of camerarderie at the moment. There is always a place for criticism but it must be done responsibly. C'mon the County, c'mon MF.

papajohn wrote:
flat4 wrote:What are you thoughts, for me he makes to many excuses, yes I know he is learning the trade but he is definitely not getting the best out of the players, also he has gained the nickname THE TINKER-MAN from other team supporters in the football league, today`s result could well define his season.

I don't think your supposition regarding defining Flynny's season is well though out.
2 years ago, we beat Hartlepool on 28th January but didn't win again until 11th March away against Crewe. In the intervening period we achieved 3 defeats and 4 draws. We survived on the day of the Great Escape. It could be argued that that match defined his season.

We started 2018 by beating Exeter 2-1 on 1st January and went on to great things, including beating Leeds and holding Spurs to a draw at Rodney Parade. We finished the season in 11th place on 64 points. At what stage his season was defined could be discussed till the cows come home, but this season is only half-way through and I believe you are being rather pessimistically premature in your analysis.

This season to date, we are averaging 1.5 points per game at which rate we should get 69 points. i.e. more than last season. Our average gates are about 10% above our break-even figure – let's not discuss that further, it's been adequately covered elsewhere, but it's on the good side don't you think?

We are a small squad; We have very little money; We've had an inordinate rate of injuries to key players; We have a manager who bleeds Newport; A manager who has got the players' hearts in the dressing room. He is getting the best out of what he has to work with.
And who gives a flying f**k about what other team supporters say!
That last paragraph sums it up for me. Nobody is beyond constructive criticism of course, but our support of the team and manager has never been more needed now than at any other time since MF's appointment.

Amberexile wrote:Flynn has been in the job for longer than the average tenure of sacked League 2 managers so ample time for most clubs to have assessed his worth if he was found to be lacking.
Perhaps worth pondering if we were to sack him and pay him off, who could we afford who would be guaranteed to do a better job in his place?
I don't think anyone on this thread has suggested sacking him. Some people are of the view that he is the right man, some like myself feel this is a testing time for him and will as Pembs puts it test his mettle.

Admittedly this seems to conflate to a mob behaving like a pack of dogs. But in fairness the hyperbolic views of that poster are not taken seriously by me, nor I would imagine by anyone with a brain.

Of course he is the 'right' man for the job. It doesn't matter if you think he makes excuses to the press, it's what he says and does in training that matters. I think he does get the most out of players, Dan Butler and Matt being two good examples. We would be mad to think we are underachieving under MF, the facts suggest we are pretty much where we should be in the league, and, for the 2nd successive season, we have an FA cup bonus.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Amberexile wrote:Flynn has been in the job for longer than the average tenure of sacked League 2 managers so ample time for most clubs to have assessed his worth if he was found to be lacking.
Perhaps worth pondering if we were to sack him and pay him off, who could we afford who would be guaranteed to do a better job in his place?
I don't think anyone on this thread has suggested sacking him. Some people are of the view that he is the right man, some like myself feel this is a testing time for him and will as Pembs puts it test his mettle.

Admittedly this seems to conflate to a mob behaving like a pack of dogs. But in fairness the hyperbolic views of that poster are not taken seriously by me, nor I would imagine by anyone with a brain.

A fair few fans on ‘County Chat’ and Twitter saying he should be sacked though.

Exile 1976 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

A fair few fans on ‘County Chat’ and Twitter saying he should be sacked though.

Perhaps they need to consider that two years ago today we were 5 points adrift at the bottom.
Since then we have played Leeds twice , Tottenham twice , consolidated our position in league 2, sit 4 points of the play offs with a game in hand on most above us , we also have additions to the squad to come in January and face Leicester city in 6 days time.

If Flynn is touting himself out to other clubs , ask yourself this, is it any wonder?