Re: Team for Leicester

You've got to pick Matt because Leicester won't be used to the long ball game and won't be able to handle Jamille easily.

If Joss is fit then play him, Dolan, Sheehan and Bakinson in the midfield. If we go with wingbacks then Robbie one side Pring (if he's still here) the other. Podge just behind Matt. Centre halves pick themselves.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:You've got to pick Matt because Leicester won't be used to the long ball game and won't be able to handle Jamille easily.

If Joss is fit then play him, Dolan, Sheehan and Bakinson in the midfield. If we go with wingbacks then Robbie one side Pring (if he's still here) the other. Podge just behind Matt. Centre halves pick themselves.

Wimott and Pring are ok attacking but poor defensively IMO....
Matt looked leggy and very tired today
I chose Pipe and Labadie ( if fit )to try and add some steel into midfield as we wont get much of the ball and need to build up a wall in front of the defence.
If we get 25% of the possession next week I will be shocked so we need players who hopefully can feed off scraps or mistakes

I feel MF has a quandary now when picking the team for Leicester. It's seems obvious that some players need a rest after playing lots of games during the last couple of weeks, and some are carrying 'knocks'. Or does he feel he should reward those who have played most regularly during the season to date? Accepting of course with a small squad he hasn't huge scope for changes. Interesting to note a couple of posters suggesting Pipe be used in midfield. What experience has he of playing there?

neilcork68 wrote:Given current form who would you pick ????

Mine is

Day

Forbes Franks Bennett Demetriou

Wilmott Pipe Labadie Semenyo

Sheehan

Amond

Yes, given Butler is suspended for it, that’s probably the best pick. For league games I’ve been toying with the idea of maybe moving Butler and Pipe to a mf position with the the young full backs behind in a back line with Demetriou Bennett and Franks but obviously Flynn doesn’t fancy them as good enough. Tbh , I really don’t know wtf is going on atm, we are dropping like a stone and can’t defend or score, I’m not counting the clean sheet v Crawley as I don’t think they ever considered attacking us as they’d come to draw. I’m extremely worried, something badly wrong here, no confidence and no idea.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:I feel MF has a quandary now when picking the team for Leicester. It's seems obvious that some players need a rest after playing lots of games during the last couple of weeks, and some are carrying 'knocks'. Or does he feel he should reward those who have played most regularly during the season to date? Accepting of course with a small squad he hasn't huge scope for changes. Interesting to note a couple of posters suggesting Pipe be used in midfield. What experience has he of playing there?

Im pretty sure Pipe played In Midfield for Bristol Rovers and Notts County

neilcork68 wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:I feel MF has a quandary now when picking the team for Leicester. It's seems obvious that some players need a rest after playing lots of games during the last couple of weeks, and some are carrying 'knocks'. Or does he feel he should reward those who have played most regularly during the season to date? Accepting of course with a small squad he hasn't huge scope for changes. Interesting to note a couple of posters suggesting Pipe be used in midfield. What experience has he of playing there?

Yes, I’m pretty certain he did.

lowandhard wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:

Yes, I’m pretty certain he did.
excuse my ignorance for not knowing that. given our numerous injuries in that position, i would have thought MF may have played him there if he rated him good enough for the position

Forest Green captain David Pipe wants to make his mark in midfield. DAVID Pipe is keen to throw down a marker in central midfield after an eye-catching end to the season. Sports editor Ashley Loveridge spoke to the former Newport and Bristol Rovers star at Rovers' training camp at Inside Football this morning.3 Jul 2015FORMER Coventry City midfielder David Pipe has been jailed for three years and two months, after admitting fracturing a man’s skull with a wine bottle.

FORMER Coventry City midfielder David Pipe has been jailed for three years and two months, after admitting fracturing a man’s skull with a wine bottle.

David Pipe
David Pipe
Nationality: Wal
Caps (goals): 1 (0)
Rovers apps (gls)1: 86 (3)
Date of birth: 5 November 1983
Place of birth: Caerphilly
Height: 5 ft 9 in
Position: Midfielder
Date joined: 10 July 2007
Joined from: Notts County
Date left: 30 June 2010
1 League appearances and goals only.
David Pipe is a right-sided midfielder who joined Rovers in July 2007 from Notts County for a fee of £50,000, making him one of the few players in the squad at the time who wasn't acquired on a free transfer. He has been capped by Wales on one occasion, in 2006, and is a former captain of the Welsh Under-21 side.

David was involved in controversy on 4 September 2009 when he was arrested and released on bail related to claims that a man was assaulted in a night club on Park Street. He was later charged with wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm. During the 2009-10 season the club brought in midfielders Dominic Blizzard and Mark Wright, and this coupled with the emergence of youngster Ben Swallow into the first team and Pipe's legal troubles meant that opportunities for him to play became fewer and further between, resulting in him joining Cheltenham Town on loan on deadline day, 26 November 2009. The loan spell was successful enough for it to be extended to a second month. He was released by Rovers in the summer of 2010 as part of a major clearout that saw 15 players leave the club.

Shortly after leaving the Mem he was sentenced to 38 months in prison for his part in the assault, which left another man with a fractured skull

Oldcromwellian....in response to you asking about why MF hasn't tried Pipe in midfield ? MF sees Willmott as a midfielder where almost everyone is in agreement he is not. ( Wilmott is a winger )..There may be the problem - MF........
MF sees him as a full back and has never ( in memory) tried him in midfield..Perhaps Pipe doesnt want to pay in midfield ? We as fans don't know. All we know is that he has played in that position for most of his career.It may be worth a try as midfield is our weak area

Pipe played a few games in midfield for us in the Conference.
I remember seeing him play there for us once somewhere in the Midlands, could have been as far north as Alfreton. He was found lacking for pace that night but made some decent tackles when he drifted towards covering at right back later in the game.

Tough one Neil. While I agree with trying Pipe (and for that matter, Butler, if he was eligible) in midfield, many of us have criticised MF for playing certain players out of position

I agree we won't see much of the ball which is why we need midfielders and wingbacks capable of pressing and shutting down space.

The main objective, for me, has got to be playing for a draw and a lucrative replay. So I'd have Semenyo, Harris and maybe Podge on the bench. This should be the stage for Bakkinson to show the top teams what he's capable of.

Lastly, need MF to pick up the phone to Lee Johnson and see if he can get Mo Elsa in on loan for 2mths. He's not played much and is available on loan. FGR think they're getting him which won't happen given he used to play for their rivals.

neilcork68 wrote:Oldcromwellian....in response to you asking about why MF hasn't tried Pipe in midfield ? MF sees Willmott as a midfielder where almost everyone is in agreement he is not. ( Wilmott is a winger )..There may be the problem - MF........
MF sees him as a full back and has never ( in memory) tried him in midfield..Perhaps Pipe doesnt want to pay in midfield ? We as fans don't know. All we know is that he has played in that position for most of his career.It may be worth a try as midfield is our weak area
I agree with you about Willmott, and about trying Pipe in midfield, even if only as a last resort. I would doubt, however that he doesn't want to play there. He strikes me as a man who would play anywhere for the team if asked.