Re: Leicester Banner

Taffweigan wrote:So far this has been unanimously praised by a mass of Leicester fans. We've been approached by a local Leicester journalist who is doing a piece in their local paper about it. Also being featured on a BBC documentary on the club. The motivation is to honour a man who helped an underdog achieve the impossible. Not only that but gave generously to the Leicester community and even put his hand in his pockets for their fans. For us he would've been a dream owner. The kind of person that should be appreciated and celebrated throughout the football community
I get the “well belated gesture” and it’s a nice thought, but I can’t help feeling that the money spent on these banners could just as well have been spent on taking out an advertisement in the match day program where the message would’ve got across just as well, plus the club would’ve received the money instead of someone else.
yes it’s a bit cringe worthy so long after, you argue that it’s going to feature journalistically and via the BBC as some sort of justification, but this is what others are cringing about, it’s so public and what you are doing reflects on ALL County fans.
Another point is that because of the colour you’ve chosen it’s going to look like Leicester have infiltrated the home sections.

Taff your heart is in the right place but sometimes you are just so out of touch

Taffweigan wrote:So far this has been unanimously praised by a mass of Leicester fans. We've been approached by a local Leicester journalist who is doing a piece in their local paper about it. Also being featured on a BBC documentary on the club. The motivation is to honour a man who helped an underdog achieve the impossible. Not only that but gave generously to the Leicester community and even put his hand in his pockets for their fans. For us he would've been a dream owner. The kind of person that should be appreciated and celebrated throughout the football community
Equally it's been almost unanimously opposed with 'embarrassment' and 'cringe' by County fans. Who are the Amber Army supposed to represent? I know sure as shit it isn't Leicester. Of course you're going to get praise from Leicester fans. If they unveiled a County banner in their end we would praise them I'm sure.

Sorry Chris but this just looks like an attempt to get on the telly/in the press to me. Ive slept on it and I still don't get it, sorry.

excessbee wrote:Having the Newport County AFC badge on the banners makes this appear to be a club initiative. Is this the case? Was the football club approached about this?
I thought of that myself. However in fairness to Taff he is not claiming it as such. Further it's his club as much as anyone else's. And finally the freedom to express views, whether others agree with them or not is for me fundamental.

newgroundrodney wrote:I think the proof will be in how well or otherwise it's received by Leicester City... I don't think leaving a Premier League club with a good impression of NCAFC is necessarily a bad thing.
I tend to agree with this. It’s not a thing I would have considered doing, I would have merely been welcoming and friendly to any of their supporters I met who wanted a chat but that’s just me. I wouldn’t castigate Taff for doing it though.
Perhaps it’s a generational thing, my lot don’t wear their hearts on their sleeves but that’s not necessarily a good thing either. People want to do their own thing, that’s ok with me , I’ll show the hippy side of my generation and say let it be eh? There’s no harm in that flag is there? If some find it embarrassing, well no great harm done, just be a bit embarrassed, you’ll live through it.

Caerleon Exile wrote:
Equally it's been almost unanimously opposed with 'embarrassment' and 'cringe' by County fans. Who are the Amber Army supposed to represent? I know sure as shit it isn't Leicester. Of course you're going to get praise from Leicester fans. If they unveiled a County banner in their end we would praise them I'm sure.

Sorry Chris but this just looks like an attempt to get on the telly/in the press to me. Ive slept on it and I still don't get it, sorry.

On here maybe but on County Chat page on Facebook it has been very well received by County fans in fairness.

It's not something I would have voted for, if asked, but I don't really feel annoyed by it (unless it's unfurled in my way). I think this is the way society is now, with people wishing to make public gestures for publicity. I quite like Leicester city for winning the league, but come Sunday, I will be hoping they are humiliated, and a poster won't stop that.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
excessbee wrote: Having the Newport County AFC badge on the banners makes this appear to be a club initiative. Is this the case? Was the football club approached about this?
I thought of that myself. However in fairness to Taff he is not claiming it as such. Further it's his club as much as anyone else's. And finally the freedom to express views, whether others agree with them or not is for me fundamental.
If we are talking about the image of the club badge, then if it happens to have been copyrighted then no, it doesn't belong to anyone who wants to use it.

George Street-Bridge wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
excessbee wrote: Having the Newport County AFC badge on the banners makes this appear to be a club initiative. Is this the case? Was the football club approached about this?
If we are talking about the image of the club badge, then if it happens to have been copyrighted then no, it doesn't belong to anyone who wants to use it.
Look at the badge at the top of this message board. Remember that not only is it very unlikely that Newport AFC limited have ever copyrighted the badge but in any event a concept of common law is that you lose rights you fail to enforce.

Now whilst I find the banner mildly embarrassing don't you think you're being ever so slightly precious on this one?

Good grief. Only at Newport County could we have a disagreement about a well intentioned (albeit badly timed) banner in support of officials at Leicester.

I'd better write to the County asking for belated permission for the County tattoo I had done on my upper right arm. Hopefully they won't sue me about it because it is not on public display. I don't know now if I'll be able to sleep before the game with worry.

You just could not make this up, you really couldn't.