Newport Council

I have no idea what assistance they may be giving behind the scenes or what our relationship is with them and recognise they may be providing huge support that we are not aware of.

However, I did not notice any advertising or promoting of the city on ground-side advertising or the shirts etc.

Many other councils see their local teams as a great platform for exposure.

The coverage from the BBC showed Newport as a City and a people with fight and determination and told a story of overcoming adversity - great stuff to hook promotion of investing in the area on.

In the last couple of years the club has generated positive national and international coverage for the City getting into the league, staying in the league in the survival season, Leeds & Tottenham and now Leicester. Coupled with that the massively increased number of mentions the City gets on TV and in all press as a direct result of having a league club should not be underestimated.

Perhaps the council could commission a survey to see just how much they would have to pay for that level of international exposure - or do they still have no budget after the Ryder Cup. Anyone remember that?

Re: Newport Council

Taunton Iron Cider wrote:
Willthiswork wrote:Quite a few Councillors there last night too.
I suspect that they can claim their Council attendance fee as well.
Unlikely, given there's no such thing in Wales in 2019.

There is definitely an opportunity here. My timeline on Twitter last night was full of Welsh politicians (half of whom I suspect couldn't give a hoot about Newport County most of the time*) falling over themselves to congratulate us. I hope the Board makes contact with them all and invite them to sample some free corporate hospitality in the coming months, in exchange for hearing from the Board about the challenges we face on securing a long-term ground, and the risk to professional football in Newport if we don't.

After all, we'll only resolve that challenge with the interest and support of elected representatives and institutions like Newport Council and Welsh Government. Now's the time to get them on-board whilst our stock is high and the individuals concerned are paying attention.

[* = honourable exceptions include Newport AMs Jayne Bryant and John Griffiths, who I regularly see at the ground.]