Re: Robbie Wilmott

Played well, excellent cross for the opening goal and worked really hard defending (though he did almost cost us a goal when he allowed their player inside him in the box first half).

The reason why he should be playing out wide and not in the middle, which is what fans have said all along

Ado wrote:To all those that like to continually slate him - shove that it in your pipe and smoke it.

He was excellent - absolute peach of a cross and Lineker, Shearer and Wright said so as well.
He is not helping to endear himself with supporters though by coming over to the Bisley stand at the end of the game and giving the ‘anker’ sign! Playing on the wing does put you in earshot of comments, some good, some bad, but I expect better from a professional footballer.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote:
Ado wrote:To all those that like to continually slate him - shove that it in your pipe and smoke it.

He was excellent - absolute peach of a cross and Lineker, Shearer and Wright said so as well.
He is not helping to endear himself with supporters though by coming over to the Bisley stand at the end of the game and giving the ‘anker’ sign! Playing on the wing does put you in earshot of comments, some good, some bad, but I expect better from a professional footballer.
Its the main reason i changed from tge Bisley is because of the ankers giving certain players abuse,

Mccoulsky winner against Leeds
Amond goal against spurs
Matt goal against Leicester

3 of the most memorable and biggest cup goals in our history and all have 1 thing in common.

All came from Robbie Wilmott crosses.

When played out wide he is a very very good player.

Loyalfoot wrote:I'm sure he would play like that if we play the same shape week in week out.
Anyway let's have a day of praise
Agree that the shape and formation is the key factor in getting the best out of him. And credit where it is due I thought his combativeness was a step up from his recent displays.

So why a separate thread for one player - he put in a great cross and generally played well in a position he can manage but before you make out he is the best player we have take a look at the MOM thread.
The MoTD day highlights also revealed what we see week in week out - in sequence the great cross and then a diabolical piece of positioning and defending which almost cost us a goal.
It is a pity Ado that you have to bring it down to one player - yesterday was a great team performance

County ranger wrote:So why a separate thread for one player - he put in a great cross and generally played well in a position he can manage but before you make out he is the best player we have take a look at the MOM thread.
The MoTD day highlights also revealed what we see week in week out - in sequence the great cross and then a diabolical piece of positioning and defending which almost cost us a goal.
It is a pity Ado that you have to bring it down to one player - yesterday was a great team performance

I agree, great team performance and Willmott played very well (though in my opinion there were at least 6/7 players that were better than him)

We badly need a left winger in this window so Wilmott can play wide right.

Or Maybe we’ll see Semenyo in that role now, after his showing last night?

Wouldn’t mind seeing butler given a go in a more attacking role too - think he’d be more than capable

halfmoon wrote:We badly need a left winger in this window so Wilmott can play wide right.

Or Maybe we’ll see Semenyo in that role now, after his showing last night?

Wouldn’t mind seeing butler given a go in a more attacking role too - think he’d be more than capable
Isn't Marsh- Brown supposed to be a left winger? Seen so little of him, although i note he has been named on the bench the last few games and apparantly had a few minutes against Stevenage. Having said that thought Semenyo filled that role exellently yesterday, and indeed gave balance to our attack/midfield, with Willmott staying wide right.

andyc wrote:Mccoulsky winner against Leeds
Amond goal against spurs
Matt goal against Leicester

3 of the most memorable and biggest cup goals in our history and all have 1 thing in common.

All came from Robbie Wilmott crosses.

When played out wide he is a very very good player.
Yes I agree with you there mate, but he looks lost in midfield, and I think that he should play wide regularly, but well done the squad and everyone at Newport County.
One more thing while the various people were urging the fans to get behind the team, why dont the money people of Gwent give the club the support they owe the club for the spotlight that the club gets for the traders of Monmouthshire --look at-Swansea, Cardiff --look at the stadiums they've got----- what have the County got to offer ??
Well Done County---- Brilliant performance we're proud of you !!
Come on the Port !!..............Bob Bassett