Re: MIDDLESBROUGH ticket prices... ideal price?

County Exile wrote:We had a full-back Terry Lees in the early 80s but not sure whether or not we actually paid a fee for him.

I seem to recall he was a player nearing the end of his professional playing career and came to County for a final pay cheque, with very little effort and a poor attitude on the pitch whilst he was with us. He appeared in 25 matches for us.

Thank you. I thought we did but clearly whilst my memory hasn't quite gone it's not what it was.

I'm travelling up in a SEAT Alhambra.

The predicament is:

The SEAT Alhambra has 7 SEATS, but only 2 of us will be in the car, so do I:

a) Offer the other 5 SEATS at an affordable price in the hope that they SELL-OUT?

b) Charge £50 per SEAT and run the risk of my car not being a SELL-OUT?

c) Remove the other 5 SEATS and pretend they were never available?

d) Cover the other 5 SEATS with green segregation netting and say I cant sell them due to security reasons?

e) Leave my SEAT as it is and use the B-roads so that no loons can count the spare SEATS and make a right song and dance about it?

Going to football used to be such fun..................

George Street-Bridge wrote:I remember Lees as a solid enough right back but I only saw him a handful of times. IIRC he was Richard Walden's successor, a very hard to shirt to fill. And succeeded by Vaughan Jones who was also excellent at RB.
George,

Further to my post on anything else, I am and remain impressed by your meticulous record keeping. Do you know if we did in fact pay a fee for Lees?

I keep no records of my own beyond what I remember, and I know where to look.

Tony Ambrosen's A Lifetime in the League says Lees signed on a free from Birmingham on a three-year deal - which I suspect was unusual - but didn't impress and was released after a year.

Amber in the Blood shows Lees's sole season (25 starts) coincided with Walden's last (23), and Jones joined ahead of the next one.

Edit: Wikipedia indicates he was 29 throughout his time with us, so not quite on his last legs.

George Street-Bridge wrote:I keep no records of my own beyond what I remember, and I know where to look.

Tony Ambrosen's A Lifetime in the League says Lees signed on a free from Birmingham on a three-year deal - which I suspect was unusual - but didn't impress and was released after a year.

Amber in the Blood shows Lees's sole season (25 starts) coincided with Walden's last (23), and Jones joined ahead of the next one.

Edit: Wikipedia indicates he was 29 throughout his time with us, so not quite on his last legs.
I'm sure that's right. Thanks.

whoareya wrote:I'm travelling up in a SEAT Alhambra.

The predicament is:

a) Offer the other 5 SEATS at an affordable price in the hope that they SELL-OUT?

d) Cover the other 5 SEATS with green segregation netting and say I cant sell them due to security reasons?

e) Leave my SEAT as it is and use the B-roads so that no loons can count the spare SEATS and make a right song and dance about it?

...sheeet! scrolling through quickly and I thought you had genuine seats available in a people carrier!

The predicament is:

If it were me, I'd say let's all seven of us share the cost of the petrol, and 'cos I'm driving you can all treat me to a coffee and pork pie at Watford Gap Services. No no lads, I'd never dream of taking more, we're all County supporters after all.

But you're the driver, so you decide. 8)

Stan A. Einstein wrote:

The predicament is:

If it were me, I'd say let's all seven of us share the cost of the petrol, and 'cos I'm driving you can all treat me to a coffee and pork pie at Watford Gap Services. No no lads, I'd never dream of taking more, we're all County supporters after all.

But you're the driver, so you decide. 8)
I'd drop you off in Watford if you snuck in the car - no we are NOT all County supporters are we? ( or have you forgotten your last flounce - yes the last one not the Hitchhikers Guide quote one).

Stan A. Einstein wrote: Fair enough.

I do see your argument and believe you when you say the club comes first. You believe therefore that usually the action of the administrative side of the club should be supported. My view is that if I believe something is wrong I will say so.

It is perfectly legitimate to argue that my view is clouded by the late 1980's. I don't agree with that but it's a valid viewpoint.

Now most people over 50 believe the original club was destroyed by a Yankee crook called Jerry Sherman. They are wrong. Jerry Sherman was a vulture. Vultures don't kill they feed off the dead. The 1912 club was destroyed between the mid 60's and mid 80's by inept boards who failed to build the infrastructure necessary. Mainly, not totally not developing Somerton Park. Back then the transfer fees paid for Waddle and Johnston and Lee would have been far better spent on our then beloved but decrepit stadium.

My belief is that over the last 30 years successive boards, however well meaning have failed to grasp we need to build a club before we build a team, not the other way round, I know I harp on but I'm not going to stop.
Got that wrong again Stan, the club bought the ground from the Council and then re-mortgaged it to buy players.

Bangitintrnet wrote:

I do see your argument and believe you when you say the club comes first. You believe therefore that usually the action of the administrative side of the club should be supported. My view is that if I believe something is wrong I will say so.

It is perfectly legitimate to argue that my view is clouded by the late 1980's. I don't agree with that but it's a valid viewpoint.

Now most people over 50 believe the original club was destroyed by a Yankee crook called Jerry Sherman. They are wrong. Jerry Sherman was a vulture. Vultures don't kill they feed off the dead. The 1912 club was destroyed between the mid 60's and mid 80's by inept boards who failed to build the infrastructure necessary. Mainly, not totally not developing Somerton Park. Back then the transfer fees paid for Waddle and Johnston and Lee would have been far better spent on our then beloved but decrepit stadium.

My belief is that over the last 30 years successive boards, however well meaning have failed to grasp we need to build a club before we build a team, not the other way round, I know I harp on but I'm not going to stop.
Got that wrong again Stan, the club bought the ground from the Council and then re-mortgaged it to buy players.
Not true. The club did not remortgage the Somerton Park.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Bangitintrnet wrote:

Not true. The club did not remortgage the Somerton Park.
My recollection is that is what they did, albiet initially to rebuild the railway end for European Qualification. Why do you believe different?

Bangitintrnet wrote:
My recollection is that is what they did, albiet initially to rebuild the railway end for European Qualification. Why do you believe different?
When County bought Somerton Park, for £125,000 approximately, the local authority stipulated that if County were ever to sell Somerton Park they could only do so if they sold it back to the council. When the next financial crisis hit County sold Somerton Park back to the council for the same price as they had paid for it.

Frankly the board of directors of Newport County in the early 1980's were utterly inept. They had a golden opportunity to build solid foundations for our club, they failed.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Bangitintrnet wrote:
When County bought Somerton Park, for £125,000 approximately, the local authority stipulated that if County were ever to sell Somerton Park they could only do so if they sold it back to the council. When the next financial crisis hit County sold Somerton Park back to the council for the same price as they had paid for it.

Frankly the board of directors of Newport County in the early 1980's were utterly inept. They had a golden opportunity to build solid foundations for our club, they failed.
As usual fail to back up your assertion.